GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,111 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: More Monster Movement - Picture Example rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the picture below, The Cultist (top enemy of the triangle of evil) has a movement of 1. Mr.Brute is the last standing character, thus the focus of the Cultist.

The trap is the only current path to the focus AND it gets the enemy closer to its focus. Does it move into the trap?

Having trouble with ONLY path to the focus rule.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the Cultist would stay put. Enemies only willingly walk through traps if there's no other viable path (assuming infinite movement). There are plenty of other viable paths from the Cultist to the Brute, but the shortest goes through the Living Bones. Since it can't end its movement in the same space as the Living Bones, it just doesn't move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
Descent 2nd Edition Community Rules Reference Guide
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, as there are several movement paths without moving through the trap. It does not matter if the Cultist cannot move this turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I get that there are multiple paths, but it was just that for this turn a movement of 1 there seemed to be only 1 path to the focus.

Movement 2 and there wouldn't have been a question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, if the cultist were able to attack from that trap, it would move this turn yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it still wouldn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Then whats with the archer example in the rules manual?

Now I need to go look at the book again.

Edit: I got it, it was my misreading/misinterpreting that caused this whole problem. I read it that she WOULD move there (c) with only 1 move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Schuster
Austria
Innsbruck
Tirol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a sidenote: Interesting idea to set up the dungeon on top of the map. I think I'll give that a try too ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cerys
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's the example I'm thinking of, it explicitly says in the manual that the archer won't move into the trap, because she has other paths that don't involve going through the trap - she just can't move into them this turn, so she doesn't move.

Also just to add - in your photo, it looks like that is a nest and not a trap - so enemies won't treat it as an obstacle, but it requires two movement points to move into, so the cultist still wouldn't be able to go there with a movement of 1.

Edit: nests are normally obstacles, not difficult terrain, so the enemy wouldn't move onto/through it at all unless it was flying. But it's been pointed out below that the OP was supposed to place a trap here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nest/Trap, just my inability to decipher all the parts. Pretty sure its a supposed to be trap in the scenario book...

Dammit, now I need to look at that too.

EDIT: supposed to be

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mb
dlikos wrote:
Now, if the cultist were able to attack from that trap, it would move this turn yes?

The answer to this one is not always no.

If the trap is the ONLY place (with infinite movement) from where he can attack the brute, then he will move to the trap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And if the trap was the only place for which he could advance toward the brute?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Szczepanski
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:
And if the trap was the only place for which he could advance toward the brute?

Always assume infinite movement first. Given infinite movement is the trap the only route? If so then they step on the trap. If no the trap is considered an obstacle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mb
I do this in my head:

Step 1 - Assume: traps are obstacles and the monster has infinite movement. Can he reach an hex from which he can attack? If yes, keep playing as if traps are obstacles. Otherwise go to step 2:

Step 2 - Assume: traps are normal empty tiles and the monster has infinite movement. Can he reach an hex from which he can attack? If no: no focus, the monster stays put. If yes: play normally, if the monster happens to step on a trap, apply effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing to add to that would be to choose the infinite path with the least number of negative hexes (regardless of how many will be traversed on the current turn) before starting his normal movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Desroches
Canada
flag msg tools
The more ambiguous question I believe would be this

Assuming 3 is a melee monster would it move into the trap? It's friends are blocking it but according to the rules, allies are not obstacles to one another. So in theory there is a path to the enemy that doesn't not go through the trap but it is currently inaccessible..

Still I am fairly sure it would move into the trap but not 100% sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamingcloud83 wrote:

Assuming 3 is a melee monster would it move into the trap? It's friends are blocking it but according to the rules, allies are not obstacles to one another. So in theory there is a path to the enemy that doesn't not go through the trap but it is currently inaccessible..

Assuming no other Characters to attack, it would definitely move on to the trap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadgit wrote:
Inspired by the lively discussion on monster focus, movement and attacks in many threads, I created a visual reference for the Gloomhaven monster AI. It is designed to clearly separate focus from movement/ attack and can serve as a quick visual reference during play.

Download link for the pdf version.

I am grateful for comments, corrections, etc.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Imobersteg
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
Flamingcloud83 wrote:

No ambiguity here. If there are no other characters, then the monster focus on th3 above character and T is the only val8d hex from which it could attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamingcloud83 wrote:

You have to remember that while the Focus is a Figure, the Monster is selecting to move to a target hex from which it could use its current attack against the Focus. The target hex must be unoccupied. While Allies do not block the path to the target hex, they do count as occupying the hex.

So in your example, there is only one unoccupied hex (though it isn't an "empty" hex) from which the Monster could attack, so it steps into that hex - and triggers the trap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.