Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Keep stuff upon Failure rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dr. Funktastic

Antarctica
msg tools
Avatar
Do you keep gold, experience, looted chests, upon failure?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

Gloomhaven rule book, Page 33, Finishing a Scenario wrote:
Even if a scenario is failed, players still receive the experience and loot they collected during the scenario.


You do not gain a checkmark for a completed Battle Goal, nor do you gain the bonus experience if you fail a scenario.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Funktastic

Antarctica
msg tools
Avatar
So I could rush in and loot a chest if I know where it is? Seems a bit strange.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Schuijers
Netherlands
Uden
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
You can also retire a character after every scenario to have a character with all his perks in about 12 scenarios.

The problem with Adventure Boardgames is that they are game-y, so there are exploits. It's your call wether or not to abuse the exploits.

Me, myself, we just lost a Boss Scenario with him having 1 hp left and us drawing 2 Null cards in a row. We called it a win and took the rewards.

It's your game, nobody is stopping you from bending rules.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing that I need to earn the loot. I will restart if I think I can win AND get the treasure.

Except I got tired of trying S2
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth noting that chests that are part of the objective are reset and not kept when restarting the scenario.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gazery Pooh

Keighley
West Yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does it seem odd? If you know where the treasure is kept in a house in real life, then surely it is actually better to rush in, grab it and rush out again.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
or zombies or ...
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure how you would retire a character after every scenario, you would need to complete all of those personal life goals which would take a tremendous amount of luck. You could just change up characters but it wouldn't count as retiring.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Funktastic wrote:
So I could rush in and loot a chest if I know where it is? Seems a bit strange.


Looted Chests that are not part of the scenario goal do NOT reset once looted. They're one and done. If you replay the scenario you do not put the looted chest back into the room.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drak Tok
msg tools
SpiritReacher wrote:
You can also retire a character after every scenario to have a character with all his perks in about 12 scenarios.

The problem with Adventure Boardgames is that they are game-y, so there are exploits. It's your call wether or not to abuse the exploits.

Me, myself, we just lost a Boss Scenario with him having 1 hp left and us drawing 2 Null cards in a row. We called it a win and took the rewards.

It's your game, nobody is stopping you from bending rules.


There is variant in the rulebook to playing without Null cards, btw!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Schuijers
Netherlands
Uden
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
madmanw wrote:
I am not sure how you would retire a character after every scenario, you would need to complete all of those personal life goals which would take a tremendous amount of luck. You could just change up characters but it wouldn't count as retiring.


Really? I was pretty sure that every time you choose to start a new character, you would retire your previous one? :what:

I mean; if what you're saying is correct, then there is only forced retirement that happens if you complete your Personal Goal and not voluntarily retirement.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
SpiritReacher wrote:
madmanw wrote:
I am not sure how you would retire a character after every scenario, you would need to complete all of those personal life goals which would take a tremendous amount of luck. You could just change up characters but it wouldn't count as retiring.


Really? I was pretty sure that every time you choose to start a new character, you would retire your previous one?

I mean; if what you're saying is correct, then there is only forced retirement that happens if you complete your Personal Goal and not voluntarily retirement.


madmanw is correct. Retirement = fulfilling the Personal Goal. All you're doing is switching out characters. That doesn't earn you anything at all.

The whole point of retiring is that it's a long process and the unlocks are big rewards.
18 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SpiritReacher wrote:
madmanw wrote:
I am not sure how you would retire a character after every scenario, you would need to complete all of those personal life goals which would take a tremendous amount of luck. You could just change up characters but it wouldn't count as retiring.


Really? I was pretty sure that every time you choose to start a new character, you would retire your previous one?

I mean; if what you're saying is correct, then there is only forced retirement that happens if you complete your Personal Goal and not voluntarily retirement.


Yes, you can only retire if you've completed your personal goal. You are, of course, free to start another character without accomplishing the goal, but the character is not retired in that case.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the bright side, if you switch to a new character without retiring, you can always come back to your old one. Note that if you do have two (or more) active characters, then one retiring only unlocks a free perk for that character's replacement(s), not for any other new characters you generate (including replacements for other retired characters).

If you generate a new character for anything other than replacing a retired character, then they start with no bonus perks, no matter how many characters you may have retired so far; when you retire a character, the replacement gets one more bonus perk than the retiring character started with.

The rules refer to this concept as lineages. Effectively, each lineage acts as though it's a different player even if the same player actually controls all the characters involved.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
On the bright side, if you switch to a new character without retiring, you can always come back to your old one. Note that if you do have two (or more) active characters, then one retiring only unlocks a free perk for that character's replacement(s), not for any other new characters you generate (including replacements for other retired characters).

If you generate a new character for anything other than replacing a retired character, then they start with no bonus perks, no matter how many characters you may have retired so far; when you retire a character, the replacement gets one more bonus perk than the retiring character started with.

The rules refer to this concept as lineages. Effectively, each lineage acts as though it's a different player even if the same player actually controls all the characters involved.


This is the relevant section in the Rulebook:
Quote:
Each time an individual player retires a character, that player also gains one extra perk to apply to all future
characters they create. This effect is cumulative, so when a player retires their second character, his or her next
character would gain two additional perks. Though this effect is applied to players, if one player is controlling
multiple characters at once in a campaign (e.g., solo play), he or she considers each character lineage they
control a different player for this bonus.



I'm not sure about your interpretation of controlling multiple characters at once. I understand it as playing them at the same time in a scenario, not just creating them in the same campaign and playing alternately in scenarios.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:

Looted Chests that are not part of the scenario goal do NOT reset once looted. They're one and done. If you replay the scenario you do not put the looted chest back into the room.


Hm, I thought it was "Chests can only reward loot once, and are only rewarded if the scenario is completed." but that might simply be a mental shortcut since other cases haven't come up in our group.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DeS_Tructive wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

Looted Chests that are not part of the scenario goal do NOT reset once looted. They're one and done. If you replay the scenario you do not put the looted chest back into the room.


Hm, I thought it was "Chests can only reward loot once, and are only rewarded if the scenario is completed." but that might simply be a mental shortcut since other cases haven't come up in our group.


It's on page 15. When a numbered chest is looted you immedietely reference the number, apply the appropriate reward, and cross the number off. That chest cannot be looted again.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
florencka wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
On the bright side, if you switch to a new character without retiring, you can always come back to your old one. Note that if you do have two (or more) active characters, then one retiring only unlocks a free perk for that character's replacement(s), not for any other new characters you generate (including replacements for other retired characters).

If you generate a new character for anything other than replacing a retired character, then they start with no bonus perks, no matter how many characters you may have retired so far; when you retire a character, the replacement gets one more bonus perk than the retiring character started with.

The rules refer to this concept as lineages. Effectively, each lineage acts as though it's a different player even if the same player actually controls all the characters involved.


This is the relevant section in the Rulebook:
Quote:
Each time an individual player retires a character, that player also gains one extra perk to apply to all future
characters they create. This effect is cumulative, so when a player retires their second character, his or her next
character would gain two additional perks. Though this effect is applied to players, if one player is controlling
multiple characters at once in a campaign (e.g., solo play), he or she considers each character lineage they
control a different player for this bonus.



I'm not sure about your interpretation of controlling multiple characters at once. I understand it as playing them at the same time in a scenario, not just creating them in the same campaign and playing alternately in scenarios.


You're right, there is some ambiguity in what counts as "at once". For me, it would seem natural to say "I'm playing a Cragheart and a Mindthief, switching which is active each time we visit Gloomhaven. I was playing a Tinkerer, who's now retired." rather than "I'm playing a Cragheart. Next time we visit Gloomhaven, I'll stop playing the Cragheart and switch to playing a Mindthief. I used to play a Tinkerer, but they've retired now." unless I'm intending to never play the Cragheart again (in which case what happens if they are retired becomes moot).

I suppose you could also reasonably do a forked lineage - having retired a Tinkerer, you create both a Cragheart and a Mindthief, each of whom gets one bonus Perk as the Tinkerer's successor - I get the feeling that the lineage rules haven't been fully thought through (and that this is increasingly off topic).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
I suppose you could also reasonably do a forked lineage - having retired a Tinkerer, you create both a Cragheart and a Mindthief, each of whom gets one bonus Perk as the Tinkerer's successor - I get the feeling that the lineage rules haven't been fully thought through (and that this is increasingly off topic).
Nope. One character would be part of the Tinkerer's lineage, the second would start a new lineage as "character zero" of that lineage. I think that the lineage concept works pretty well. Just think of it as Character X handing the Family Seal on to Character X+1. There's only one Family Seal in existence for each family, so the "path of succession" has to be "linear".
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eide
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
SpiritReacher wrote:
You can also retire a character after every scenario to have a character with all his perks in about 12 scenarios.

The problem with Adventure Boardgames is that they are game-y, so there are exploits. It's your call wether or not to abuse the exploits.

Me, myself, we just lost a Boss Scenario with him having 1 hp left and us drawing 2 Null cards in a row. We called it a win and took the rewards.

It's your game, nobody is stopping you from bending rules.



Insert the “Shame! Shame!” Lady from Game of Thrones! ninja
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Schuster
Austria
Innsbruck
Tirol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You can also retire a character after every scenario to have a character with all his perks in about 12 scenarios.


Am I getting something wrong here? As far as I understand it, you can only retire a character when he fulfills his personal goal. Which is not really possible by playing just one scenario with him.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Complex wrote:
Quote:
You can also retire a character after every scenario to have a character with all his perks in about 12 scenarios.


Am I getting something wrong here? As far as I understand it, you can only retire a character when he fulfills his personal goal. Which is not really possible by playing just one scenario with him.


You are right. The person you are responding to had it wrong.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Schuijers
Netherlands
Uden
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
We all mistakes, sorry! :blush:
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SpiritReacher wrote:
We all mistakes, sorry! blush


We all do, especially this game. I opened the wrong treasure in our last scensrio. Got chest 4, read off chest 7. (Fourth one down in the furst column) we just rolled with it. Luckily it was nothing game-breaking.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Moura
msg tools
SpiritReacher wrote:
You can also retire a character after every scenario to have a character with all his perks in about 12 scenarios.

The problem with Adventure Boardgames is that they are game-y, so there are exploits. It's your call wether or not to abuse the exploits.

Me, myself, we just lost a Boss Scenario with him having 1 hp left and us drawing 2 Null cards in a row. We called it a win and took the rewards.

It's your game, nobody is stopping you from bending rules.


Altough ppl already pointed out on your mistake theres something you can do wich is replaying the same scenario throngs of time to force a retirement. Lets say you get a goal where you need to kill 15 of monster X, you find a scenario where monster X happens and replay it till you retire. Thats very gamey and speed up retirement for certain goals a lot, you could cut down from 10-15 scenarios to 3-4 in a row of the one you know the enemy you need happens.

Personaly Id never do it, but some ppl might want to, its a way to unlock classes fast and get some early power ups.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.