Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
843 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [34] | 

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: BSG 620 - There Are Those Who Believe That Life Here Began Out There rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BGG_BSG_PBF [+] [View All]
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Some people call this junk. Me, I call them treasures.
mbmbmbmbmb

The original invitation wrote:
Hello.

I'm interested in starting to moderate icon and text-based Battlestar Galactica play by forum games. It's true that I've never been involved in a Battlestar Galactica play by forum game before, but I have started moderating for Arkham Horror, in addition to reading multiple play by forums of Battlestar Galactica, and play by forums for multiple other games as well, so I understand what I'm getting into. I have also played Battlestar Galactica, of course. Ideally, I'd play through a forum game, before moderating one, but it might be awhile before that happens, so I'm starting now, so that people won't have to wait for another moderator, unless they want to wait for one.

Here's an example of an icon and text-based board update:
Turn 10.1 Baltar IS THE CURRENT PLAYER

x17 x8
x4
Quorum Destroyed DISTANCE TO KOBOL Total: 0
Destiny Damaged Ship-Reserves

x10 x0
x0
x0 1 1 1 1
JUMP TRACK!
Start | RED-1 | RED-2 | BLUE-3 (-3) | BLUE-4 (-1) | Auto-Jump

Centurion Track
Start| One | Two | Three | END
x4

\ | /
\ | /
\ | /
\ | /

/ A-F
|
G-L \
/
x8
x2|
x2
x8\
/
|
\

Damaged Locations: Command, FTL Control, Weapons Control, Armory, and Hangar Deck. Destroyed Ships: Colonial One.

OPG Player Locations Hands
robotBaltar: Cylon Fleet
x10
x0
robotBoomer: Cylon Fleet
x10
x1
Adama: BRIG
x0

Tyrol: BRIG
x0

Roslin: BRIG
x0
x0
Apollo: BRIG
x0

To be clear, this will be an icon and text-based 6-player base game, using the No Sympathizer Variant, except that Boomer will not be restricted, even in a game with Baltar. I realize that none of you specify a willingness to play text-based games, but there are less than four people on the entire list that do, so I have to ask some other people. Besides, I'm hoping the icons will be enough for those who like pictures. It's "text-based," because I don't have PhotoShop. It's the base game, because I only just got the expansions, and while I've played with parts of each expansion, at a friend's house, that was years ago, and I'd like to take some time to properly play and familiarize myself with each of my expansions, before moderating games with them. Fortunately, I ended up with an extra base game, so I can moderate with one base game, while leaving my expansion games with the other undisturbed.

If you aren't comfortable with the idea of an untested moderator, would rather wait for a game with prettier PhotoShop pictures, or wait for more By Your Command games to start, I won't mind, and more importantly won't penalize you with asterisks on the waiting list. If, however, you would like to join in, please respond saying yes, no, or maybe. I see that all six of you have logged in today (or at least what BoardGameGeek thinks is today, the 18th). I will give you a week, to log back in, and respond, before moving along to someone else. I will also occasionally check to see if you've logged back in. If you don't respond to my invitation within 48 hours of logging in, I'll skip you, and move on, to someone else, to save time. If you might be able to play, but need more time to decide, you may respond saying "maybe," in which case, I'll give you another 48 hours, from that point. If necessary, you may say "maybe" multiple times, but you can't delay past a week of the time when this invitation was sent.

If we need additional invitees, their time to respond will be based on when they received their invitations, rather than the time the original invitees received their invitations. While it's possible that we could start as early as today, (this time, meaning the 19th,) if everyone accepts quickly, it's also possible that we may have to wait over a week, while waiting for invitees. There is no fixed start date.

As soon as I have at least one willing participant, I'll make an official thread for what would be Game 620, where I'll keep a regularly-updated list of invitee statuses, until the game starts. Does a week sound reasonable, to wait for a person to log in? (For invitations, not for game posts, where you should try to check in at least once-per day, on most days.)

I've decided to copy the formatting and most of the policies used by IriDiuM84 and Caimion, but even if you are familiar with their policies, you should still look through this post, as there are some differences.

All of this was made possible by ColtsFan76 and he has our undying thanks for that.

For info on PBF see - Tips and Tricks for BSG PBF

Standard Things to remember/know:

d10-1All players must have their own copies of the game and all expansions being used, if any. This is an FFG requirement, and since we're all REALLY thankful they let us do this, we're only too happy to comply with the one condition they set out for us.

d10-2Follow PBF conventions. Bold your actions! I will not process anything until bolded. Use italics for in-character talk, and use images for flavor and fun. Find lots of them here: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/item/1834905#item1834905.

d10-3Use the image banners so we know who you are. If you're on a mobile device and don't want to look up your bannerID, please put your character name at the top of your post.

Courtesy of marlus, here's an amazing script that makes it super-easy to add those banners to your posts:
Quote:

1) Click on "Edit" on the top right of your screen to Edit your quick bar.

2) Chose an empty spot and fill label with "My Banner" and add the following text to the URL :

Quote:
javascript: (function() {var b = '[ImageID=xxxxxx medium]'; var t = document.getElementsByTagName('textarea')[0]; t.value = b+'\r\n'+t.value;})();

3) Replace "xxxxxx" with the ImageId you want to use as your banner.

4) When you post, click on Reply/Quick Reply and then click on your Quick Bar Link. Presto!

It even works on mobiles, so no excuses not to use a banner!

d10-4Don't communicate with other players outside the thread. Any private communication should be between me and particular players. If you have a question that you don’t want to ask publicly, ask me, that's what I'm here for!

d10-5Subscribe to the thread! I expect that you will be able to check in at least twice a day, preferably at regular intervals. I like to run a game that doesn't get bogged down for ages because someone only checks in once a day or less. If 24 hours have elapsed and you haven't taken action you will be warned. (Major holidays celebrated in countries one or more of the participants lives in won't count toward this.) Repeated warnings will see me seeking a replacement player. Everyone hates waiting for someone every turn, don't be 'that guy'!

Of course, sometimes that annoying little thing called Real Life interferes with your ability to play, and that's totally OK. All I ask if you are having a really hectic time is that you try to find 2 minutes to either post in the thread or GM me saying "Hey, sorry but I'm really busy right now, won't be able to check the game today/tomorrow/this week/whatever". That way we're not all left hanging wondering what's happened to you. If you need more than a couple of days away form the game, I might try to find a temporary player to replace you until you return. Same goes for slow play. If you're travelling or something and you'll only be able to check in sporadically for a few days, just let us know.

d10-6Use Conditional Orders (COs) and the game will run smoothly. The game is much more enjoyable when it’s moving along and not getting stalled for days. Don't worry - if I have questions about your COs I will ask you privately, I'm not interested in trying to play "gotcha" by executing a CO that clearly didn't account for something.

d10-7Please send all your GMs to me with the subject line "BSG 620: <Character Name> - [Mail Subject]". EG, "BSG 620: Starbuck - CO for OPG usage". I may start moderating multiple Battlestar Galactica game in the future, and if I get a geekmail with the subject "Skill check", that's going to cause me a bit of extra work to find out that little bit of extra info I need. This one really helps a lot, I appreciate you guys taking that extra couple of moments to properly title your GMs

d10-8I like to make my board updates after the current player has received their cards, so everyone knows how many cards are out there. So if you have a variable draw, please send in your COs for those as soon as you can.

d10-9Respect secrecy rules. Some often overlooked secrecy violations include:

* Providing a public CO (bolding when it is not your turn to act)
* Saying "medium" if you've played one card
* Talking about scouted cards (top or buried) beyond "good" or "bad"
* Identifying which cards/skill types you played into a skill check
* Volunteering the contents of your hand if it's not directly relevant to the current discussion

d10-1d10-0 Don't quote anything from more than two pages back in the thread. Say what you think happened in your own words.

d10-1d10-1 We will be following the Official FAQ and Unofficial FAQ (http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Battlestar_Galactica_FAQ), but we will be ignoring the ruling regarding the Admiral having to disclose whether they chose the top destination. When a player chooses from the top two cards of a deck it is secret which card was chosen.

I will assume that each player has the following standing COs. Please send me a GM when you'd like to act otherwise.

* Pass on Declare Emergency

* Pass on Strategic Planning for shots against raiders, scouts if there's more than one raptor remaining, and shots by cylon ships

* Pass on most Character Abilities - I'll work this out in private with individual players after character selection

* Pass on Evasive Maneuvers for unmanned vipers that aren't the last one protecting a civilian ship, unless the viper would be destroyed

* Pass on anything that would be a clear soft-reveal (e.g., Evasive Maneuvers to re-roll a shot that missed)

* If everybody else has responded to an interrupt and you haven't, and you don't have the cards in question, I may pretend you sent me a pass CO, in order to keep the game moving. This will not divulge hand information since I will also pass those who sent me a pass CO at the same time. Please note that I will not always do this, to add to the uncertainty.

* If there are multiple conflicting CO interrupts, and the players have not worked out whose to play, I will play the lowest-valued interrupt. If it's still tied, I will play the interrupt for the player whose turn is soonest.

Once we have all of our players, they can begin selecting characters, by the normal method, in waiting list order.

I'll keep the invitee statuses in a separate post below, so you know the difference between edits to the policies, and invitee updates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The list of invitees are:

smaug007 DECLINED
lolcese DECLINED
mihaild DECLINED
Robman DECLINED
Garth Nailo IN
magi210 IN
colwolf IN
jwcleveland IN
jeronimo7 IN
KraZug DECLINED
Obvious Child IN
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you planning completely raw base game? With no Quorum limit, base-style ICs and Caprica skipping jump icons?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KraZug wrote:
Are you planning completely raw base game? With no Quorum limit, base-style ICs and Caprica skipping jump icons?

Yes. We're only using rules found in the base game, and FAQ for the base game. I won't use rules found in expansions, which we're not using, unless most of the players go out of their way, to ask for something to be changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Scott
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll play. I think the only tweak to rules I'd want to see would be IC not revealing destiny, but I'm fine either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I would rather wait for a game with more expansions I think. Have a fun flight (and feel free to message me if you have any questions regarding modding).

The 10 card Quorum limit is basically to patch a tactic that can be done without it - you can rapidly draw the whole deck and then constantly play the same card over and over.

If you are playing with the Pegasus ICs you should combine that with Caprica giving jump icons, those two changes go together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
magi210 wrote:
I'll play. I think the only tweak to rules I'd want to see would be IC not revealing destiny, but I'm fine either way.
Same here! Lean towards seeing that as a fix rather than a change but don't feel v strongly.

Not aware of the caprica jump thing. I thought they did neither jump nor ship activations which feels fair to me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H
United States
Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb

I'm am willing to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We seem to have 6 players, now.

You may now start selecting characters, by the usual method, in list order.

You may geekmail me conditional orders for character selection, in case I'm able to post your choices, when you might be away, when your turn comes.

There heave been requests for rules adjustments. I'll make any change that has been agreed upon, by more than half of the players. Right now, there are two people who want investigative committees to not reveal destiny. Post your votes in the thread, regardless of whether you're posting your character selection, on your turn, or geekmailing me conditional orders, ahead of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H
United States
Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I have no preference on Investigative Committee, though generally I play with the rule not to reveal destiny. I've played a variation that the 5 strength is the only one that will reveal destiny, which can help keep things interesting...

Since we have 6 people, I will abstain from voting as I really have no preference (unless it is for the 5 strength house rule described above).

Thrift Thopter wrote:
We seem to have 6 players, now.

You may now start selecting characters, by the usual method, in list order.

You may geekmail me conditional orders for character selection, in case I'm able to post your choices, when you might be away, when your turn comes.

There heave been requests for rules adjustments. I'll make any change that has been agreed upon, by more than half of the players. Right now, there are two people who want investigative committees to not reveal destiny. Post your votes in the thread, regardless of whether you're posting your character selection, on your turn, or geekmailing me conditional orders, ahead of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Jan Kronemeijer
Netherlands
Ridderkerk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like I'm up first,

I choose “Chief” Galen Tyrol

I am fine with either the base or the new Investigative committees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col wolf
Austria
Graz
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would prefer IC also not to reveal destiny (AKA the Pegasus version).

I also have sent my CO for character selection.

Happy Holidays everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Scott
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigh

I'll take Col. Tigh.

Edit: Also prefer that destiny not be revealed by IC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So far, no one has voted for base game investigative committees, 2 people have said that they have no preference, and 3 people have said that they's prefer Pegasus-style investigative committees. Therefore, we will use Pegasus-style investigative committees.

colwolf's conditional orders indicate that he would choose Zarek, on his turn, and Jeremy/jwcleveland's conditional orders indicate that he would choose Apollo, on his turn.

Steve/jeronimo7 can choose any remaining character. Then Obvious Child can choose any character of a different type, from Steve's character.

Once everyone has chosen their characters, they can start telling me what they want for their setup hands.

Additionally, I should mention that I probably won't be available until later in the afternoon, today, where most days, I'm available at various intervals, throughout the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H
United States
Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb

I'll take Boomer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
jeronimo7 wrote:

I'll take Boomer.
Then I'll take Baltar

If only to get as many Cylon cards out there as possible

I, Gaius Baltar, do now avow and affirm that I take the office of the President of the Twelve Colonies of Kobol without any moral reservation or mental evasion.

Not even about me Gaius?

Hush. Ahem. I mean... I will protect and defend the articles of colonization with every fibre of my being.

I am honoured and humbled to be your President. I am sure under my administration, and the delicate and sensitive miltary leadership of Colonel Tigh, the humnan race will survive. No, more than survive. We will rise phoenix-like to greater heights than ever before! Though obviously a tragic accident, in a very real way recent events will be seen by a blessing by historians centuries from now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H
United States
Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb

For the initial card draw, I'll take a Tactics, a Piloting, and an Engineering skill card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Scott
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

2 leadership and a tactics please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Cleveland
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

For the record, I will drawing a Leadership, a Tactics, and a Piloting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magi210 wrote:

2 leadership and a tactics please.

Tigh is the Admiral. You have the privilege of using his fancy, green, banner:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col wolf
Austria
Graz
flag msg tools
mbmb

"Saggitarion is proud to vote for Gaius Baltar as our new President of the Colonies!"

"Mr. President! It is an honor to meet you. Word is you are a genius. To be honest we need nothing less to survive. As the elected official of my people, I will support you in every case."

Starting hand
1 Tactics
1 Leadership
1 Politics

Hi everyone! Happy Holidays to all of you!

EDIT: image size

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So far, I've received starting hand orders, from everyone other than Baltar. I'm going to send the Chief the five cards he's going to draw on his first turn and post the 1st board update, now, while I have time. This way, you'll have an idea of what's going on, though you technically need to wait until Baltar gets his starting hand, before doing anything.

Round 1.1 THE CHIEF IS THE CURRENT PLAYER

x16 x0
x0
Quorum Destroyed DISTANCE TO KOBOL Total: 0
Destiny Damaged Ship-Reserves

x10 x0
x5
x4 8 7 9 10
JUMP TRACK!
Start | RED-1 | RED-2 | BLUE-3 (-3) | BLUE-4 (-1) | Auto-Jump

Centurion Track
Start| One | Two | Three | END

\ | /
\ | /
\ | /
\ | /A

/
|
\B

/ | \
/ | \

OPG Player Locations Hands
Chief: Hangar Deck
x5

Tigh: Command
x3
mbmb
Zarek: Administration
x3

Apollo: Sector 5
x3

Boomer: Armory
x3

Baltar: Research Lab
x3
x1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mobile Baltar: apologies, one each of Politics, Leadership and Engineering
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obvious Child wrote:
Mobile Baltar: apologies, one each of Politics, Leadership and Engineering

No need to apologize, as long as you're checking in each day. We have a mixture of Americans and Europeans, so people are bound to be waiting for each other.

I'll geekmail you your setup hand now.

The Chief (and those with suggestions) may begin planning the first turn, when ready.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Jan Kronemeijer
Netherlands
Ridderkerk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I was thinking of moving to the press chamber and XOing Apollo.
Apollo can you send out a scout?

Do any of you have other options?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [34] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.