Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allen Cordell
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you feel about them? Do they improve the game? Is it significant? Are they fun to play with? Are they worth purchasing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wise
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally feel that what they add to tile placement options is negatively outweighed by what they take away from end game scoring. I've only played with them once or twice so my opinion may not be that relevant. I could totally be missing some strategy that playing with them makes possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Scussel
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the game four times now and they have never hit the table. I think they might this weekend though. I've had people say, "I'd like to play with those", but when push comes to shove, we just play the base game on the standard side of the board. I'll report back when they get used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive played 8 games of Azul, the last one with the Jokers (just got them this week). Don't know if I like them or not, but will probably use them for another game or two before deciding. They do add a bit more decision-making. I used three of them, and another player (4-player) didn't use any. He and I tied for the win. If you want to get the 10 bonus points for 5 of a color, you need to be careful as the jokers do not count for the 5-of-a-color bonus. So, choose which color you want to get all five of, and DON"T use a joker for that. They might add a little more strategy, but I'd have to play it more to offer a hardened opinion about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adolph Pernal
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I like to use one of my joker tiles as a replacement 1st player tile when not actually playing with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Think it is very subjective. I enjoy both their play and the added variability, including their use on both boards. BUT my wife hates them. So I don't get to use them in our 2-player games but only in the 3- or 4-player games at my weekly large gaming group.

Try them and see what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MPMelanchthon wrote:
Think it is very subjective. I enjoy both their play and the added variability, including their use on both boards. BUT my wife hates them. So I don't get to use them in our 2-player games but only in the 3- or 4-player games at my weekly large gaming group.

Try them and see what you think.

Well I'm trying to gauge wether or not I even want to buy them, is the thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have them but haven't tried them yet. A gaming buddy felt there was an element of luck of the draw with tiles on the factory displays, and we thought perhaps the wild tiles might mitigate some of that luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United States
Shakopee
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I've played 9 games so far, about half of them with joker tiles. If you play on the player boards with the predefined colors, I think you'll find the joker tiles tend to take away points. They make hard choices for sure. If you make sparing use of them, they can certainly help in a pinch, but they'll remove that 10 vp bonus.

However, when played on the reverse side of the board, they are invaluable, and you basically want them at all costs. On this board side, you can very easily block yourself from being able to play certain colors. The jokers however don't contribute to that, allowing you to much more easily get bonuses.

Overall, I'm glad I have them. If someone is brand new (to gaming in general), I might not use them, but I'd use them in most other cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.