Subject: I need to let go... and just play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Messing up rules really bothers me when I play games.

I've already discovered several rules that I have messed up in completing the first few scenarios.... but my anal ass brain is not letting me enjoy them as victories.

Restart (what my brain wants to do)
Let it go (what I should do)

Do you guys have this problem?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Accept that there are still rules are going to get wrong and decide that it's not worth playing scenario #1 15 times.

Move on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
If your understanding of the rules is detrimental to your enjoyment of the game, take it as motivation to better yourself by improving your knowledge of the rules moving forward. If you feel you would get more enjoyment replaying scenarios with the "real" rules, great, but don't think you need to punish yourself with replaying things as penance. Minmax your fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Barnes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get you.

I have just played the first scenario, but I felt we did a good job not cheating. The only cheating thing I did was gain experience a couple times when I didn't want to use an ability due to Guards throwing up shield and retaliate 2 ... and I didn't want to take 8 damage over those two rounds from that.

I subtracted 3 experience from my total and called it good. Overall, I am trying to teach myself to just let it go and play. I am very good at bending games and breaking rule books ... so I am constantly diving into the rulebook and BGG to figure things out.

I would do a quick read through the FAQ, it will educate you on a lot and make things more clear. But the point is to have fun, so ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delith Malistar
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
mbmbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:
Messing up rules really bothers me when I play games.

I've already discovered several rules that I have messed up in completing the first few scenarios.... but my anal ass brain is not letting me enjoy them as victories.

Restart (what my brain wants to do)
Let it go (what I should do)

Do you guys have this problem?

I know how you feel. But realize that there are a hundred or so scenarios so even if you get the first 10 wrong (which would mean you really screwed up a lot!), you are still are on track for a 90% 'done it right'.

As long as you aren't purposely cheating, I'd end up calling it a learning experience and move on to the next scenario. However, that being said, I do plan on redoing some of the first few scenarios over at some point in the near future, but with different characters. I justify that as my penance for making mistakes while simultaneously getting to play new classes in a scenario I know already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Fenerty
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
play to enjoy, don't punish your self.

I messed up Scenario 2, did 10+C instead of 10xC, but screwed up anyway as my strategy was wrong and got overrun, went back with a fixed up Boss and won through.

read up a bit, have the rules close at hand, but play for fun first, the rules come clear soon enough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a big difference between intentionally cheating and messing something up in your favor. And hey, even if you are intentionally cheating, it's a cooperative game, so as long as everybody around the table knows it, then it's just a house rule.

If you mess up a rule, note it for next time and move on. It won't make that much difference in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Szczepanski
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Messing up the rules in this game has very little impact in the grand scheme of things. I'm the same way but I just let it go with this game and focused on improving my understanding of the rules with each subsequent game. I can't even tell you how many times I forgot to change the element track.

Just let it go and enjoy the ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Much of the time, misplaying or forgetting a rule doesn't have that big of an impact on the overall game. So this monster moved here and attacked this character, when really by the RAW, they should have moved there and attacked that character. No biggie. Or maybe you gained an experience or two when you really shouldn't have. Isn't really going to have any lasting impact. (sure, you might level up a smidge earlier, but that also means the scenario difficulties will increase a smidge earlier too).
None of that is worth rebooting, IMO.

Of course, if it is truly bugging you, there's nothing stopping you form rebooting either (especially if you're playing solo). But there is so much content in the game that it may be better to just press on and learn from the errors enough to play that particular rule correctly going forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don't worry about it. It is a legacy game after all. Think of it as if the rules evolved with the story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Desroches
Canada
flag msg tools
Try your best and make sure you look for any scenario special rules and win conditions before you start..

I've been 7 rounds into a scenario before and saw that I was supposed to be summoning an enemy every odd round....

If you are ever unsure about rules and don't want to look it up midgame I would suggest you err on the side of common sense or the monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben W
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I am only a few scenarios deep here, but I get the sense that this game is not only customizable to your tastes, but fairly random in direction.

If you are feeling guilt for maybe having more XP or Gold than you think you should, consider that you are free to grind a random dungeon or even go back and replay scenarios in casual mode just to gain XP and Gold (and fun!) if you wish.

If you are feeling like maybe you cheated yourself out of a proper gaming experience, I say, don't sweat it! You can adjust difficulty up or down in this game to your liking anyway.

If you just want penance, I say play a random dungeon on Hard mode and don't keep the rewards.

But do whatever you enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BWagsKP03 wrote:

If you just want penance, I say keep playing, but from now on, post really cool session reports about it!

But do whatever you enjoy.

Fixed it for you whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just keep playing. My group has been playing since March and many rules were updated and characters modified. A couple mistakes here and there don't really effect the game all that much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Greenfly
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep playing. When I found out I have made some mistakes during my previous scenarios, I punished myself by increasing difficulty of the following one to compensate for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wonham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
8 scenarios in and still missing things. But no longer having to refer to the rule book IN the scenario. It's usually the whole 'what can I do at the city' and 'what scenario choices do I have' that cause me to refer to the book, as you do them less often.

Most typical mistakes we make are to forget what the monster situation is. So:
1) Forget the monster has shields.
2) Forget to remove negative effects on the monster at the right time.
3) Forget the monster ability hasn't cut in yet because it hasn't had its turn.
4) Forget to give revealed monsters with lower initiative their turn.
5) Forgetting a monster can't move unless it says 'MOVE' on the ability card.
6) turning over my attack deck instead of the monsters (or vice versa)....

Sometimes we backtrack sometimes not. Depends on how big the forgetting was rather than any hard and fast rule. If I just hit a monster for 6 daamage and it had two HP left it doesn't really matter if I forgot a single shield....

The things that still cause discussion:
1) Monster movement (especially for ranged attacks).
2) Monster movement to optimise AoE attacks.
3) Monster decisions for (eg.) a ranged heal on a single ally.

If in doubt, I tend to play DM and give the monster the best choice.

If you want to get a thematic way to resolve this: Consider any mistakes you make are the will of the gods of Gloomhaven. Maybe that sanctuary donation bought you a little more than two bless cards. Maybe because you didn't donate the monster got an extra turn with strengthen. Maybe living bones token number 5 is truly lucky. Maybe a fly distracted the monster just when it could have moved one hex to attack three of you rather than just one.

But, overall, remember: How you play the game behind the closed doors of your own home is up to you. Don't get OCD over getting it right - you'll make mistakes both ways and it'll average out. Repair the damage however you want, if you feel you need, but DON'T let it get in the way of enjoying the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Schuster
Austria
Innsbruck
Tirol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer the original question:

How bad did you mess up the rules? If you feel that the monsters were at a really huge disadvantage because of it, maybe you will feel better if you restart.

If it does not really matter (messed up a few things in favour of the monsters and a few in favour of yourself), or even made the game more difficult than it had to be, I would roll on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that for each rule you mess up to your benefit, there's a rule that you mess up to your detriment. It all balances out in the end.

Or you could go with a similiar route as my Arkham Horror group: If someone misses a rule in the group's favor, they get 1-3 curses, depending on the severity. (In Arkham, we use detriment cards)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew D.
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
The Bears still suck!
mbmbmbmbmb
DeS_Tructive wrote:
Keep in mind that for each rule you mess up to your benefit, there's a rule that you mess up to your detriment. It all balances out in the end.

This is exactly how I look at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mwonham wrote:
6) turning over my attack deck instead of the monsters (or vice versa)....

I've done that a time or two myself.
I almost wish that the monster attack deck (and the 10 curses for the monster deck) had a different color on the back or something.
The only issue I can think of off the top of my head would be Bless cards (does the Monster deck ever get Bless cards?).

Of course, this could be accomplished by sleeving the Monster attack mod deck with sleeves that have a different colored back

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
...does the Monster deck ever get Bless cards?...

I hope that's a question you'll never find the answer to.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
There are some bless spamming mobs, and it can get very, very ugly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.