Aeon's End» Forums » General

Subject: 2nd edition Nemesis mats rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tanausú Alayón
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So they changed the graphic design on everything except the nemesis mats for the second edition (judging from the second editions I've seen, and I've seen it mentioned in the boards somewhere as well, but can't seem to find that post anymore), why? Has there ever been an officially stated reason for this?

Why not make everything fit the same style, if you're going to go back and redo the old stuff in the new style? I just can't wrap my head around why they would specifically not do it for the nemeses. Especially since most people love it so much when everything fits nicely together. I'm assuming this is the reason why they went back and redid the pre War Eternal stuff in the first place.

So, they redid a bunch of stuff so that if you put everything into a box together it all looks like one big thing,... except the old nemeses, they're different.

Sorry if this sounds really mean spirited or angry, it isn't. I love this game, it has become my favorite game. I think the design is genius in so many ways. This is a detail. I just can't seem to figure out the decision making process on this one, is all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There is a long, and now locked, thread where this other drama resides. When the second edition was announced the update wasn't taken well, given a lost of original backers feeling screwed. IBC did not want to basically provide then entire game in an update kit so this was the compromise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanausú Alayón
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I have been enlightened! Thank you very much! It must have been a difficult process. Still looks like a bit of a strange compromise, but I guess they did the best they could, given the circumstances. Thank god for this game though, mismatched nemesis mats or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Giroir
United States
Mission Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides the marketing point they did also say that they wanted to keep at least one aspect of the original design in the game, and this was that choice. They did end up providing new nemesis mats with the newer cardboard and rounded corners, but not new UX.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelsin wrote:
Besides the marketing point they did also say that they wanted to keep at least one aspect of the original design in the game, and this was that choice. They did end up providing new nemesis mats with the newer cardboard and rounded corners, but not new UX.

Which they said they would not provide, so that was a very nice touch on IBC, when providing the update packs for free was already a pretty impressive feat and a much appreciated one for backers and owners of the first game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelsin wrote:
Besides the marketing point they did also say that they wanted to keep at least one aspect of the original design in the game, and this was that choice.

It's a dumb choice, in my opinion. Nobody wants the original design, and it doesn't even make sense to keep any part of it.

Kelsin wrote:
They did end up providing new nemesis mats with the newer cardboard and rounded corners, but not new UX.

Which makes the whole argument about "not wanting to provide the entire game in an update pack" pretty much moot, when they went ahead and did it anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danaolson wrote:
Which makes the whole argument about "not wanting to provide the entire game in an update pack" pretty much moot, when they went ahead and did it anyways.

Well you'd still be missing tokens and breaches so technically, no.

danaolson wrote:
It's a dumb choice, in my opinion. Nobody wants the original design, and it doesn't even make sense to keep any part of it.

Uuuuh yes, I do. I liked the old design thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliot Davis
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
Cowabunga!
badge
Art by Kev Brockschmidt
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any chance that a 2nd Edition version of the nemesis mats will be made? I just got my copy of Aeon's End 2nd Ed. and definitely am not a fan of how much different looking these mats are than the rest of the game. It's totally playable, obviously, but inconsistencies like this really bug me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robski Horus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ellionious wrote:
Is there any chance that a 2nd Edition version of the nemesis mats will be made? I just got my copy of Aeon's End 2nd Ed. and definitely am not a fan of how much different looking these mats are than the rest of the game. It's totally playable, obviously, but inconsistencies like this really bug me.

Yet for Me,it does not bother me a jot...Thats people for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There were updated Nemesis mats in my upgrade kit from the second Kicksarter. I'm guessing the second edition includes upgrade mats as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David S.
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
V1 Rotate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The original game nemesis mats were updated to the same component quality and shape as the expansion mats. The art was not updated and as far as I know it will not be updated.

So the mats were redone to fit and feel the same as the new mats, but the artwork from the original remained.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gashlycrumb wrote:
There were updated Nemesis mats in my upgrade kit from the second Kicksarter. I'm guessing the second edition includes upgrade mats as well.

The nemesis mats in my Aeon's End 2nd Edition base set are the same as the original(no change-old style). The nemesis mats in my War Eternal set have the new layout. I bought both of these retail and was not part of the Kickstarter. Just f.y.i.(though personally it doesn't bother me at all).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PKDuke wrote:
gashlycrumb wrote:

The nemesis mats in my Aeon's End 2nd Edition base set are the same as the original(no change-old style). The nemesis mats in my War Eternal set have the new layout. I bought both of these retail and was not part of the Kickstarter. Just f.y.i.(though personally it doesn't bother me at all).

This is standard, it's what we got in the update pack as well as KS backers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.