Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth Sweeney
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

After Christmas, with any money I get and adding to as needed.

I would really like a Tetris/ Polyominoes and can’t choose between Bärenpark or A Feast for Odin

I could afford A Feast for Odin or Bärenpark with another game.

I play often with my daughter. She picks up games really quick, and likes lots of different games. Her favorites are Family Plot and Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King

So I have no issue with her being able to pick up Bärenpark and enjoy it.

But for myself, whom wants to go a little up in weight, a lot of mine are lightweight. And would also want take to my friends to play. So think A Feast for Odin would be better. But would it be to much for my daughter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How old is your daughter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Both are good choices. I wrote a really long thing, but basically...

Bärenpark focuses much more on the polyominoes, is much lighter, and is still fun.

A Feast for Odin has much more game mechanisms going on than just polyomino placement, is deeper and MUCH longer, and is a bit more rewarding when you are able to execute your plan. Oh, and this one is a bit more forgiving, since you have many more options during your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Other options would include Patchwork and Cottage Garden. Feast for Odin doesn't spend a lot of time with the 'puzzley' part. There's a /ton/ more going on in that game than just tetis'ing pieces together, as has been pointed out. Of the two you've mentioned, I'd go with Bärenpark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Sweeney
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the reply's.

My daughter is 11. She is quite mature for her age, but still has moments of being younger.

I know A Feast for Odin is more than the Polyominoes mechanic. But contains it.

I would like both, but also part of the issue, is how many games do i want in my collection that contact same mechanic. Probably should of put that in my original post.

oh well.

For exmaple, I already have Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King so now feel that i don't need Carcassonne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Patchwork or Cottage Garden - I haven't played Barenpark or Indian Summer yet so can't comment on these....

Caverna is a tile laying euro mechanic game for 1-7 players, so lots of room for upscaling

Quadropolis is a game of laying your tiles for city building in an order to maximise points. I can't comment how similar or otherwise this is to Suburbia...

I am told that Nmbr9 needs some kind of tessellation mechanic as well - more of a filler though, possibly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I guess the better response is, "What questions can we answer that would help you with your dilemma?"

The more specific the questions, the better the responses are going to be.

It would also be better to prioritize games with your daughter over your friends. Your friends will understand. Maybe you can ask your daughter which she would prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X YZ
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An oldie (and fairly mainstream) but still very good: do check out Blokus. Wonderful abstract game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Bremen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I kinda had the same situation with Bärenpark vs Feast for Odin, just replace "daughter" with "husband", so the question for me wasn't if he'll be able to understand the game but rather, will he enjoy it? And I came to the conclusion that he wouldn't, after watchibg a playthrough on youtube. There's way too much going on, too many things to keep track of and it's quite long. So I bought Bärenpark and don't regret it. Yeah, it's not as deep as FfO, but it doesn't need to be. I've found it more fun than most other polyomino game I tried so far (Patchwork, Cottage Garden) and I like the variability the randomly drawn goals give. :)

I believe an 11 year old that's interested in the mechanisms of Feast for Odin and is good at planning ahead should be able to play the game (maybe with a little help here and there) but I believe to most children at that age the game would be a bit too dry and thinky. My 12 year old boy would find the game incredibly boring as strategy heavy euros are not his cup of tea at all, but he's not interested in Bärenpark either, as he's more of a competitive direct conflict kinda guy. ;) So, yeah, it totally depends on your daughters taste & strategic skills - maybe you could watch a playthrough of the game with her and ask her if she'd like to try the game with you? I'd suggest getting Bärenpark and another thinky euro that costs less for you and your friends either way, Feast for Odin is still pretty expensive imo. ;)

Whatever you decide to get, hope you have lots of fun playing it with your girl! :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Village Idiot
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to add more choices into the mix, but if you're looking for a game with polyominoes that's heavier than the filler-weight Patchwork, Barenpark, Cottage Garden, and Indian Summer ... but lighter than the beast Feast for Odin (which are all fantastic games, by the way), consider: Amerigo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Sweeney
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, this was the kind of reply I was looking for.

I'm going to take on board what you said about Feast for Odin being a bit too dry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.