Subject: Which top games are preferred by men and women (of course, a poll) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
Alpha pedant
mbmbmbmbmb
It's heading towards Christmas which means we clearly need another poll. I was curious how game preferences break down according to gender. To be inclusive, I'm using the labels "male", "female", and "other". Put yourself in whichever category you think best describes you.

This list only includes 45 games because people complained when I had 125 games. Whiners.

IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED IT, DON'T VOTE ON THAT GAME.
(It is possible to erase all your votes and start over if you misclick, but who wants to do that?)

Poll
Which of these games do you like? (voting by gender) Define "like" as rated 7-10, "meh" as 5-6, and "Don't like" as 1-4.
  Female, I like it Male, I like it Other, I like it Female, meh Male, meh Other, meh Female, I don't like it Male, I don't like it Other, I don't like it
Pandemic Legacy
Gloomhaven
Through the Ages
Twilight Struggle
Star Wars Rebellion
Terraforming Mars
Terra Mystica
Scythe
7 Wonders Duel
Castles of Burgundy
Great Western Trail
War of the Ring
Caverna
Puerto Rico
Agricola
Mage Knight
Blood Rage
Arkham Horror Card Game
Mansions of Madness
Mechs vs. Minions
Star Wars Imperial Assault
Viticulture
Orleans
Power Grid
Concordia
Eclipse
Food Chain Magnate
Robinson Crusoe
Brass
Le Havre
A Feast for Odin
Tzolk'in
Android: Netrunner
Codenames
TIME Stories
Voyages of Marco Polo
Keyflower
7 Wonders
The 7th Continent
Kingdom Death: Monster
Caylus
Chess
Go
Shogi
      440 answers
Poll created by skutsch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Twelve Fifteen votes in and no non-male voters yet. I'd open up an over/under betting line for the first female voter and first Other voter, but it would be too easy to cheat.

Edit to add: One female voter now, with 24 total voters. If this ratio continues, it's going to take a lot of total voters for the female votes to have any statistical significance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skutsch, meet self selection bias. Self selection bias, meet Skutsch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Alpha pedant
mbmbmbmbmb
BeyondMonopoly wrote:
Twelve Fifteen votes in and no non-male voters yet. I'd open up an over/under betting line for the first female voter and first Other voter, but it would be too easy to cheat.

Last time I did a poll on gender, I got almost 15% female. Here's that poll:
Poll
How do you identify?
Female
Male
Trans
Other
      646 answers
Poll created by skutsch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Alpha pedant
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:

Sure, sure, but in what sense for this poll? How do you think this poll will be skewed by self-selection bias? I certainly think it's very possible but I have no idea in which direction you think the poll will be skewed.

Or are you just saying Internet polls are piffle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
This list only includes 45 games because people complained when I had 125 games. Whiners.

If you made 5 polls each with 25 games, it'd likely be just fine (to be clear, I'm not saying 5 separate threads, but just 5 polls in the one thread). The smaller polls would make it so we won't get repeatedly lost in what column means what halfway down the clicking.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
It's heading towards Christmas which means we clearly need another poll.

Whoa. Could we have a poll on that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:

Sure, sure, but in what sense for this poll? How do you think this poll will be skewed by self-selection bias? I certainly think it's very possible but I have no idea in which direction you think the poll will be skewed.

Specifically on this poll I think that the fact that the General forum (compared even to other subforums on BGG) is so dominated by male posters means you aren't going to get anything approaching an accurate result.

To get an answer on this you'd be better off taking a random sample of members, making sure all genders are decently represented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
I'm holding out for a Euro 'til the end of the ni-ight...
badge
Misumena vatia
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED IT, DON'T VOTE ON THAT GAME.

Uh oh! There a lot of games on this list that I own and haven't gotten around to playing yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Abiezer Coppe wrote:

Piffle! I love that word! Can we have a poll on preferred words meaning "nonsense"? That would be cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Alpha pedant
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
skutsch wrote:

Specifically on this poll I think that the fact that the General forum (compared even to other subforums on BGG) is so dominated by male posters means you aren't going to get anything approaching an accurate result.

To get an answer on this you'd be better off taking a random sample of members, making sure all genders are decently represented.

What would I do, geekmail random people? How would I pick out random people? I don't know where to start with your mad scheme!

I'll bet the wargamers forum is more dominated by male posters. Just saying.

And accuracy? In a BGG poll? You jest sir! My only hope is to get enough votes to be halfway interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
skutsch wrote:

What would I do, geekmail random people? How would I pick out random people? I don't know where to start with your mad scheme!

I'll bet the wargamers forum is more dominated by male posters. Just saying.

And accuracy? In a BGG poll? You jest sir! My only hope is to get enough votes to be halfway interesting.

Wasn't there a user that used the geekbuddy system to look particularly at female users of BGG? At least I have a vague memory of participating that under my old account.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
To get anything like a good academic study with results that generalize to the larger bgg population, you would need to select a random sample of bgg members and work as carefully as possible to get a high response rate. You don't need equal gender representation for a study, but very small groups make statistical tests problematic.

But, geez, why bother?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RingelTree wrote:

But, geez, why bother?

Well it gave me something to do for a few minutes modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Alpha pedant
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if the one person (so far) answering "Other, I don't like it" for every single game a) is just messing with the poll, b) got confused by the questions, or c) is a non binary person who just hates all games (which seems most unlikely). I'm going with 'A' but I think there's a chance of 'B'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skutsch wrote:
I don't know if the one person (so far) answering "Other, I don't like it" for every single game a) is just messing with the poll, b) got confused by the questions, or c) is a non binary person who just hates all games (which seems most unlikely). I'm going with 'A' but I think there's a chance of 'B'.

Option 'C' is at least a little amusing. Imagine someone playing every single game on the list despite not liking any of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BeyondMonopoly wrote:

Edit to add: One female voter now, with 24 total voters. If this ratio continues, it's going to take a lot of total voters for the female votes to have any statistical significance.

Of the 114 voters who indicated a feeling about chess, 22% are female. And of the voters for 7 Wonders, 21% are female.

Skutsch is getting a better response from females on this poll than he did when asking simply who identified as female.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Vestal
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea (well, maybe it isn't, I don't know, I just like filling out polls) and honestly I thought this one ended too soon. I could have done at least twice as many games.

By the way, the results are very hard to read (and/or I'm feeling lazy). But I sort of suspect that any difference that does show up won't be statistically significant, at least partially owing to a relatively small number of responses. But I look forward to seeing the results.

Also
skutsch wrote:
Which of these games do you like? (voting by gender) Define "like" as rated 7-10, "meh" as 5-6, and "Don't like" as 1-4.
I wonder how useful you giving numbers as well as descriptions. I think of my 7s as meh games, and so I voted in the poll based on the words rather than the numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The votes on Arkham Horror TCG are interesting. It really splits the audience. Kingdom Death: Monster does as well, but that's less surprising. And, Mansions of Madness does so to a lesser degree (app related?).

And, Chess sits pretty firmly in the "meh" category for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Benzein
Sweden
Sollentuna
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VaultBoy wrote:
The votes on Arkham Horror TCG are interesting. It really splits the audience. Kingdom Death: Monster does as well, but that's less surprising. And, Mansions of Madness does so to a lesser degree (app related?).

And, Chess sits pretty firmly in the "meh" category for everyone.

It seems likely this is a difference between the users of the general forum of BGG and those who rates games. The games with a lower score from males seems to indicate active communites outside of BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Abiezer Coppe wrote:

Well, a big self-selection factor will be the fact that most forum threads on BGG with "Woman" in the title (outside the Women and Gaming forum, of course, which is wonderful) will very quickly devolve into stupid-cliché-fests at best and slews of sexist/misogynist comments at worst.
That is why I (and probably many other female BGG users) normally do not enter these threads at all, or only with trepidation. This one I only clicked on because I saw you were the author, Skutsch, and I trust you to approach the subject in a reasonable manner.

That being said, I'm not a fan of dividing up interests along gender lines excessively anyway -- I don't really think it tells us anything interesting, especially not in the extremely selective pool of people on this site. Where's the poll for interests by age group, or by country of origin, or by hair colour?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just voted, and I clicked "like it" on all games I'd played on the list except three, those are "meh".

These are the most popular games among the general BGG population, so that's exactly what you would expect overall, isn't it? Regardless of gender?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Esbech
Denmark
Odense M
Danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an interesting poll, I think you'd get a better result by making a questionnaire. Here you could ask people to list gender, age and BGG username and have a script run through their ratings on BGG and see if there's any correlation between gender and board game preference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
So. It would appear that the BGG popoulation that enjoys answering polls, is mostly male.

I'd say that's the only data you can recoup from that poll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
@GSWP I would also be interested in seeing game preferences by age and country of origin. Heavy Cardboard was recently talking about how, at least anecdotally, people from Europe seem to rate Heaven & Ale higher than Americans. Heaven & Ale seems like a must buy to me, but the discussion was still interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.