Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
When you replace a unit, either when it is wounded or not, do you remove it from the game, or place it back in the Ally Discard Pile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
TragicTheBlathering wrote:
When you replace a unit, either when it is wounded or not, do you remove it from the game, or place it back in the Ally Discard Pile?

You keep a discard pile?

I put everything under the decks. I've never had them cycle back, and I suppose it wouldn't bother me if there were any circumstances under which they could do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:

You keep a discard pile?

I put everything under the decks. I've never had them cycle back, and I suppose it wouldn't bother me if there were any circumstances under which they could do so.

Same. Everything goes under the deck it came from for me. There are way too many cards to assume anything will come back around
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I put them back under the decks face-up. That way they don't take up extra space on the table or become confusing, but if I somehow managed to run through all of the units, I would know and could reshuffle. (As Ben and Iain said, that seems unlikely to ever happen.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:

Yes, the rules never mention a discard pile for anything, and when recycling the cards at the beginning of each round, all cards are put on the bottom of their decks.

HOWEVER, to answer the OP's question (and this is one of the few rules not included properly in the rulebook), per the Walkthrough:

Game Walkthrough, Page 9, Interaction in a Village, Recruiting Units, last paragraph wrote:
You may still recruit however, even if you have no free Command token – but before taking a new Unit, you have to disband (remove from the game) the old Unit.

So the unit is technically removed from the game. But we, like you, just usually put it on the bottom of its deck for simplicity's sake since the unit decks are too big to recycle completely.

FWIW, in a four player full Volkare scenario (using Lost Legion), we did have the spell deck cycle around once. But that's the only time I've seen it happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
We had them cycle through in a game last night that was a Co-Op, so the question came up. You can also have the spell deck cycle when playing Valkair sometimes.

jsciv wrote:
Game Walkthrough, Page 9, Interaction in a Village, Recruiting Units, last paragraph wrote:
You may still recruit however, even if you have no free Command token – but before taking a new Unit, you have to disband (remove from the game) the old Unit.

Yeah.. looks like they ARE removed from the game!

Benkyo wrote:

You keep a discard pile?

I put everything under the decks.

Well, I have a big table, space is not much of an issue.

Also, I find that games with "cycling offers" were the offer constantly drops off the end into a discard, it is MUCH quicker in round reset to simply discard to another pile than pick up the deck and place it under it, put it back down in the right place and maybe also need to fix it up so it is neat.. etc etc. I much prefer discarding to a separate discard pile, and then just reshuffling when the offer pile is empty.

If you have room, try discard piles, it will reduce your play time significantly. It may not seem like it would, but it all adds up.

grasa_total wrote:
I put them back under the decks face-up.

This is exactly how I do it on games that are hard to fit on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
We had them cycle through in a game last night that was a Co-Op, so the question came up. You can also have the spell deck cycle when playing Valkair sometimes.

Just a quick rule check: when you recruit a unit, you do NOT replace it immediately, right? They're only supposed to be replaced when the round changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that the time gained for something I typically do only about 3-4 times over the course of a game isn't significant. (Lack of) space is not a consideration for me either, it's just about reducing visual clutter.

I can see there is a possibility for the regular unit deck cycling in 4-player Volkare games going into the 5th round, assuming no core tiles drawn before then, so I understand the reason for the question. I did make the Vassal module distinguish between discarded and removed-from-game units, so perhaps I should have just answered the question instead of getting sidetracked by preferences!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
jsciv wrote:
Just a quick rule check: when you recruit a unit, you do NOT replace it immediately, right? They're only supposed to be replaced when the round changes.

Narr, it is instant.

Rules - Interacting with Locals - (P7)
You can use a newly recruited Unit immediately
(but you cannot use an influence effect of that
Unit to pay its own cost).

Benkyo wrote:
I know that the time gained for something I typically do only about 3-4 times over the course of a game isn't significant.

You should be moving the spell and advanced action card off the bottom of the deck every round as well though right?

So that is 4 decks (Spell, Action, Silver and Gold) that you need to pick up, move the card to the bottom, straighten and place neatly ... 6 times a game... maybe more if you are discarding artefacts in the late game. opposed to just grabbing a card and dropping it into a pile.

IMO, it does add up and I would suspect that this might be habit some people use in other games, and in some other games, the time sink of not using a discard pile would be greater.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
HOWEVER, to answer the OP's question (and this is one of the few rules not included properly in the rulebook), per the Walkthrough:

Well, that is also explained in the rulebook, under Basic Game Concepts - Using Units, point 4.

You could also cycle the gold units deck using the white city, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:

Narr, it is instant.

I believe jsciv is checking that you know that you do not add a new unit to the offer when you buy one from the offer, not checking whether the rules allow use of a recruited unit immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
syzygia wrote:
You could also cycle the gold units deck using the white city, I guess.

Yeah, that is how the cycle happened in our game. We were playing co-op and one player went full influence and capped out on the white city pulling mass units for use to buy into.

Benkyo wrote:
jsciv wrote:

Narr, it is instant.

I believe jsciv is checking that you know that you do not add a new unit to the offer when you buy one from the offer, not checking whether the rules allow use of a recruited unit immediately.

yeah thats right, you got it now.. the offer is only replenished during the end of round but you can instantly replace and use units you buy. You can even replace tapped units and the replacements come in untapped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.