• [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Obama.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
Draining the swamp by any means necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
How could that possibly be sewage? In what way could sewer lines be connected to water lines?

I can see this is being reported in several places as a real news item, but the mechanics of it are beyond me and my twisted imagination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
How could that possibly be sewage? In what way could sewer lines be connected to water lines?

I can see this is being reported in several places as a real news item, but the mechanics of it are beyond me and my twisted imagination.

The sewer lines are not connected to the water lines, they are connected to the drain though.

What surprises me is that there is no lower place that the water can get out though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
mag74b wrote:
What surprises me is that there is no lower place that the water can get out though.
Yeah there has to be alot of sewage backed up to get to that point. Anyone who flushes a toilet is going to be in for a surprise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
mag74b wrote:
Yeah there has to be alot of sewage backed up to get to that point. Anyone who flushes a toilet is going to be in for a surprise.

It is peculiar. Sewer backups normally come out the lowest spot first, which means that toilets and floor drains on that building level should have overflowed first (the water fountain pan is higher). Not sure what to think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basement water fountain, on a floor where they don't have toilets because they kept backing up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad someone else noticed how ridiculous this seems. The photo doesn't make sense for any number of reasons. I'd be surprised if it even originated from the EPA as it looks.

Hopefully someone was just trying to make a joke instead of actually trying to embarrass someone. There's plenty of real things they are doing that are terrible. No need to make things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
WetRock wrote:
I'm glad someone else noticed how ridiculous this seems. The photo doesn't make sense for any number of reasons. I'd be surprised if it even originated from the EPA as it looks.

Hopefully someone was just trying to make a joke instead of actually trying to embarrass someone. There's plenty of real things they are doing that are terrible. No need to make things up.
Doing a search on it, Newsweek reported on it also, it seems that it is legit. I couldn't find any info on the mechanics of it. I suppose that the water fountains are on a common drain that meets the bathrooms at some point and the backup is occurring before there. If bathrooms in the floor above link downwards into the water fountain "network" that might be why it is so "sewagey". But, having done plumbing on my own bathroom sink, that doesn't look to different that what can get caught in hairballs in the trap, so maybe actual toilet drains aren't involved in this instance. From what I read, it is a depression era building so who knows what the shit-stack layout regulations were back then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
WetRock wrote:

Doing a search on it, Newsweek reported on it also, it seems that it is legit. I couldn't find any info on the mechanics of it. I suppose that the water fountains are on a common drain that meets the bathrooms at some point and the backup is occurring before there. If bathrooms in the floor above link downwards into the water fountain "network" that might be why it is so "sewagey". But, having done plumbing on my own bathroom sink, that doesn't look to different that what can get caught in hairballs in the trap, so maybe actual toilet drains aren't involved in this instance. From what I read, it is a depression era building so who knows what the shit-stack layout regulations were back then.

Yes. That dark black splatter does look more like drain buildup than "sewage". I think that was the first thing I noticed. I'm betting there was some sink clog that forced the drain pipes out that particular point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Black gold
Texas tea

We're rich!
Suck it, treehuggers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.