David Bancroft
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Durp
mbmbmbmbmb
1.Rules state that when exploring a card you're to read it to yourself and then descibe what happened. What if it's an encounter/attacked? Do you then flip the card over to show what attacked you or still keep it hidden? or maybe the card tells you what to do?

2.Also I heard that play throughs take several times to solve because you run out of time. What if you just add more time in the beginning so you dont have to keep restarting?

These where just some thoughts I had after watching some reviews and before I started my first game. Any answers without spoilers would be great. thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArcanumTL ArcanumTL
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to TIME Stories!

1. If we end up with a Lock or Fight encounter, we end up flipping this card over so others can see it as well. For the first time, you have to do the check with the people on the spot but on later re-tries you can have others join you.

2. I would add more time to the suggested start as that is fun part of TIME Stories where you start with a fixed amount of time and try to find the optimal path. Sometimes you have to take a gamble on the choice based on your time limits.

Enjoy the scenarios!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the TIME Agency Agent.

The only Agents that can see a card are those on the space, the card is kept face down. If all Agents are on the space then the card can be flipped.

The point of TIME Stories is that you should run out of time so that you have to reset the game and make another run, using the knowledge gained from previous runs to refine your choices towards success. Some players don't like that and add extra TU or do away with them altogether. Your choice but I'd recommend playing initially with the stated TU so that you can make an informed decision rather than speculating.

Good luck Agent, we're counting on you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nise Abracadabra
Spain
flag msg tools
1. As written on the rulebook, p.9:

"Exception: When a card contains a game rule or technical explanations
(a text box), carefully read how to proceed, possibly even out loud, in order to ensure that the entire team has a good understanding of the situation."

So, I would say that you shouldn't show it to everyone or flip it, but you can read out loud literally what it is written within the textbox below the card, which will tell you all the information about the ruling of the fight and the options that you may have.

On the other hand, I don't think it's a big deal if you choose to flip the cards as someone suggested (we don't do it).

2. I wouldn't do it, because without the challenge of making correct guesses on time, the game would feel boring to me. But again, it's up to you and your team.
If it's your first game anyway, I would advise following the rules before considering any house ruling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Villarreal
United States
Pacoima
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paxton73 wrote:
1.Rules state that when exploring a card you're to read it to yourself and then descibe what happened. What if it's an encounter/attacked? Do you then flip the card over to show what attacked you or still keep it hidden? or maybe the card tells you what to do?

2.Also I heard that play throughs take several times to solve because you run out of time. What if you just add more time in the beginning so you dont have to keep restarting?

These where just some thoughts I had after watching some reviews and before I started my first game. Any answers without spoilers would be great. thanks

1: Keep it face down. The point of this aspect of the game is to 'tell stories'. Think of it like this, you enter a room and all 4 of you go interrogate different people or things within it, out of earshot or eyesight. Then you all come back and start comparing notes with each other like detectives.

2: This has been such a point of contention for people ever since the game came out and I just don't know why. If you have no interest in replaying portions of the game, then perhaps the game isn't for you. But reasons why you should follow the rules with this:

2A: There will be decisions in the game that cut you off from different aspects of the rest of the game. If this is a decision you regret later on, then replaying the game allows you to undo a mistake with the foreknowledge of the other decision. This alone is worth replaying things for.

2B: It adds tension when you are literally moments away from something major happening in the game and you look at your time and start to panic.

2C: Its' thematic to the overarching story (or so I hope it is), that things you wish were the case in the game may actually have a reason why they aren't in the story.

Lastly, If you still find yourself disliking the TU portion of the game, then I would implore you to try this instead. If the game asks you to start with 30 TU, play it properly, but then when you run out of time, read the TU Fail card and instead of doing what it says, just reset the marker back to half of the starting TU, so 30 becomes 15, and you are 'officially' on your second run. If it happens again, drop it again half and make it 7 or 8 and this is your 3rd run. After this point just keep it at 7 or 8 and remember which run you are on as it does matter when you complete the mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Marcy Case (and also Under the Mask) a situation can arise in which it's no longer solvable. In this case you have to reset! In the Dragon Prophecy you might want to reset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fba827 fba827
United States
Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1) "by the rules" (more or less) explain the story of you getting attacked and if there is game mechanic stuff about being attacked go ahead and show it (unless it explicitly says not to, and some situations say that). But really, 9 times out of 10 you can just say "you're getting attacked because the (boogey man) jumped out of the sewer at me" (or whatever) and they'll know you're busy rolling to escape/survive.

2) As others have said, the restarting is part of the game's concept to try and figure out the puzzle with some tension.
That said, it's your game. If you find restarting to be frustrating then maybe after the first restart give yourself a couple extra etc.
I'd highly suggest trying it as written first. And if the restarting is just killing your enjoyment then bump yourself a little time the next time through just know that it will mess with your scoring at the end (if you care about scoring - my group mostly ignores scoring as we just play for the story)

Taken to an extreme you could remove all the time unit stuff and just play through but i personally would find that very dissatisfying as that removes the only thing really providing any tension and you may as well be playing a different game at that point.... but that's personal preference.

Bottom line: you'll find what you and your group finds enjoyable.... and that's what this is about. So once you get started you'll see what sort of rhythm you fall in to. But I'd suggest running it as written before making changes

Regardless of your group's choices -- hope you have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) You keep the card graphic and 'roleplay' text hidden, though you are welcome to describe what is happening, preferably not by reading the card exactly. You do have Time Units and part of a player's task is to communicate the information well enough that other players do not need to spend TU to go look themselves.

One big example is in your first Asylum game. You will be tempted to show the graphic art on a card to the other players, but really, the team did not all decide to go look at the card and are depending on you to describe it.

2) You have to be able to restart. Some scenarios require this, and frankly, angry-Bob is hilarious. Plus, you will NEVER get to see the Mission Failed (TU) card without TU-loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.