30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Peeved off about Kickstarter "Early bird" pledges rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: love_hate_and_Kickstarter [+] [View All]
Grant F.
msg tools
I hate it when kickstarters have a pledge called "early bird". I find it impossible to keep track of all the games coming out to be on time to get this type of pledge. Sometimes the difference is significant.

I make a point of writing to every kickstarter project that does this. I understand that it is a way to get a quick boost in pledges initially and it is a marketing ploy.

Good for them as you reduce the risk, but to have two tiers of customers paying different prices for the same product is unfair and discriminatory.

In the future I will continue to express my disappointment at this type of "feeding off anxiety" marketing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Peeved off about Kickstarter ":early bird" pledges
Discussed to death.

I'm right there with ya, though.

I guess I don't usually go too far out of my way to tell them. But it's generally an automatic pass for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant F.
msg tools
scifiantihero wrote:
Discussed to death.

I'm right there with ya, though.

I guess I don't usually go too far out of my way to tell them. But it's generally an automatic pass for me.

It has? I never knew that. Should have looked for previous thread sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Oiler1 wrote:

Good for them as you reduce the risk, but to have two tiers of customers paying different prices for the same product is unfair and discriminatory.

The age old brick and mortar store vs online store debate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rowdy Scarlett
United States
San Jose
santa clara
flag msg tools
badge
Not Necessarily Inaccurate Videos at- http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3A6D4E8F2B74B110
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree with the OP. I do see companies doing this less than they used to, though. When it does happen, I just refuse to back it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
tclynch wrote:
Totally agree with the OP. I do see companies doing this less than they used to, though. When it does happen, I just refuse to back it.

I'm of the same opinion and response to these kinds of kick-starter pledge systems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:

2 tiers? more than that....

3rd tier... those that get copies from a retailer before more of those who kickstarted the game

4th tier... those that get copies from a retailer for a tiny fraction of the price... sometimes even with the same kickstarter "exclusives"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sallay
msg tools
mbmb
I used to feel the same way, but I eventually realized that I was being irrational. Let's say that instead of displaying an early bird discount, the publisher sent the first X people a check for the early bird discount amount, without telling anyone. If I didn't know about it, I wouldn't be offended by it. Or if someone else paid less than me for a game on amazon. As long as I don't find out, it doesn't bother me.

Psycologically, as soon as I find out that I could have paid less than what I was already willing to pay, I feel ripped off. But I only feel ripped off because I'm jealous that someone else got it cheaper, not because I didn't think it was worth the price. I wouldn't have purchased it if I didn't think it was worth was I paid.

Once I realized this, I changed my thinking. I try not to dwell on what could have been, but on what is available? If something is a good value to you at the non early-bird price, you are the one who misses out by passing on it.

I can tell that you are frustrated but I don't think that it is fair to say that early bird pledges are discriminatory. (I think the argument could go either way as to whether they are fair). People can be excluded from something without being discriminated against. If I have a pile of board games at my house and I post here that I am giving them away, first come first served. It may not be a fair way to allocate the games in some people's view, but I can't imagine anyone reasonably saying that I am discriminating against people who don't check bgg every 5 minutes.

There are a lot of good games that come out, so I don't think it is bad to be picky, but I wouldn't miss out on a game that I knew that I would love (assuming that you know that about the kickstarter) because I don't like how the marketing is being done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Moss
United States
Owasso
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
New Troll Here!
badge
Stay away from the Voodoo.
mbmbmbmbmb
If I miss an "Early Bird" special, oh well. I'm still generally getting my own Early Bird special due to almost every game being cheaper on KickStarter than at retail. Sow hat if someone gets the exact same thing as me for $10 less... I am getting it for $30 less than Joe purchasing at his Brick & Mortar. Yay me!

Overall, I tend to worry less about what other people are getting and just focus on what I want to get me to make me happy. If that means spending more than someone else, oh well, I'm worth it. (As long as I can afford it, which is almost never!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's a game I want, I really could not care less if someone paid $10 less or $10 more. That could not possibly be any less relevant to my decision. Checking some of the kickstarters I backed, I see several of them had early bird prices that were a whole $5 cheaper. Yeah, I'm going to throw a tantrum and pass up a game I want, over a whopping $5.

(And searching more through the projects I backed, the largest early-bird bonus has been $11. Since I have not backed every kickstarter launched to this point, YMMV.)

You may find it unfair, but "discriminatory"? Not even close.

And how is it "feeding off anxiety marketing"? Everyone still usually has 30 days to decide if they want to pledge or not. And you're not being pressured into making a rushed decision on backing; you can drop your early bird pledge at any point prior to the end of the campaign.

"Marketing ploy"? Yeah, they're trying to get the kickstarter off to a good start, reach their funding goal, and start unlocking stretch goals - which, if its a game I'm interested in backing, is exactly what I want. Those bastards!

(It's probably a good thing you weren't around during The Great Shadows of Brimstone Mine Cart Controversy of 2013. Although that really wasn't an early bird, but a limited pledge level - for which Flying Frog underestimated both the demand and the cost. A lucky few people paid $325 to go "all-in;" others paid as much as $480 for the same thing, albeit with a $75 credit to use for add-on's not covered by the all-in pledge.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
House of Cards
United States
Abingdon
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I refuse to buy anything that offers others a temporary discount in price! If it EVER goes on sale ANYWHERE I am so done with that product! Curse you Cool Stuff! Curse you Miniature Market! How dare you sell below MSRP! Its list or bust for me!

Seriously how do you separate an early bird discount -vs- a much more common sale discount? TYPICALLY the early bird discount is no more than $5 to $10 which can be less of a discount than a deal of the day of a major OLGS. Lets be honest - the real hook of many KS'ers are the addons which can really make that $5 to $10 be an insignificant percentage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
"Some fights will just get you bloody"
mbmbmbmbmb
NewTroll wrote:
I'm still generally getting my own Early Bird special due to almost every game being cheaper on KickStarter than at retail.

I'm curious as to which kickstarters are not cheaper on csi or mm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfair? Maybe
Discriminatory? Give me a break

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clarence neal

chattanooga
Tennessee
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair is a four lettered F word and is very much a subjective thing....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kidd
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
What's the difference? If it's something you want, it's either a price that you think it's worth, or not. Who cares what it's labeled at the time you're buying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy (Other Amy)
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Early birds are the Kickstarter version of door buster deals. The bad thing is that the project page sits there and advertises that everyone else missed the great sale for the rest of the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Coates
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So... a store has a sale, and you miss it. That's unfair? That's discriminatory? You refuse to buy from them again?

Is this even worth a whine?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dooley
United States
South Lebanon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:

Discriminatory? Are you actually serious?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant F.
msg tools
The difference was $35 CAD not a small amount. If the difference is less than $10 I wouldn't be so upset.

Generally KS are more expensive than retail if one buys from OLGS with free shipping. Yes, you may get exclusives usually they are not essential to the game.

Perhaps discriminatory is the wrong word. Creating 2 tiers of customers is unfair. I prefer everybody buy at the same price for the same product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KPDooley wrote:
Oiler1 wrote:

Discriminatory? Are you actually serious?

Nah.. you have to realize the MO of this user. Just check their history.

Something about jerking some chains and having the bells ring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dooley
United States
South Lebanon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
The difference was $35 CAD not a small amount. If the difference is less than $10 I wouldn't be so upset.

Generally KS are more expensive than retail if one buys from OLGS with free shipping. Yes, you may get exclusives usually they are not essential to the game.

Perhaps discriminatory is the wrong word. Creating 2 tiers of customers is unfair. I prefer everybody buy at the same price for the same product.

Well then it looks like this is a good lesson for you in life isn’t fairism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
I prefer everybody buy at the same price for the same product.

You must live your life with frequent disappointment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:

Free markets and all that chap; your dystopian vision of price controls is not gonna happen.

Loyalty card discounts, credit background checks for borrowing money, specials to entice particular customers (like early birds) or meal prices in restaurants during non-peak hours, coupons, bartering/haggling (since ancient times) and so on have been a part of the financial landscape for a long long time and it will continue to be that way; and for the good.

I like the early bird special; it rewards informed customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was nothing discriminatory. You had the same opportunity as everyone else to participate in the early bird, from their side of things. If early bird discounts bother you, spend more time monitoring Kickstarter board game projects... which can be done so many ways, with BGG ads, the posts here, on KS itself.

There's no way they are lowering the entire campaign to the discount price... if it helps make a successful campaign, how can I begrudge afew people getting a better bargain by being early adopters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.