Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JMJimmy
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tis a bit annoying to pick out the official expansions from the list when there are 100+ fan expansions listed. Probably not an overly common occurrence to have that many though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can do an advanced search, and click the - for Fan expansion under category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
indigopotter wrote:
You can do an advanced search, and click the - for Fan expansion under category.

I think the request here is for that to somehow be integrated on the expansions pages of games, which - for some games - are completely useless due to the gazillion fan expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a solution, but a slight improvement is to sort the expansion list on the game page, or the family page, by name and look at the T section, where all of the Ticket to Ride: official products are.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/17/ticket-ride
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The advanced search with "- fan expansion" still gives the cleanest list currently:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&a...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Griffiths
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I go to the page for e.g. 7 Wonders and click "expansions" I see lots of "fan expansions". Frankly, I don't really want to see them.

What's the point in that section on the game's page if it's clogged full of unofficial fanfic?

It's pretty strange that the official admin response is "don't use that page, go through this awkward search process instead". Why isn't the official response "Sure, we'll fix it!" ? Especially as that page has just gone through a very thorough redesign?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
I quite simply don't ever want to see fan expansions. I'd like a switch to permanently remove them from display.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poddster wrote:
If I go to the page for e.g. 7 Wonders and click "expansions" I see lots of "fan expansions". Frankly, I don't really want to see them.

What's the point in that section on the game's page if it's clogged full of unofficial fanfic?

It's pretty strange that the official admin response is "don't use that page, go through this awkward search process instead". Why isn't the official response "Sure, we'll fix it!" ? Especially as that page has just gone through a very thorough redesign?

I don't have any way to program that. I can only offer the best way I know how, using what's available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poddster wrote:
If I go to the page for e.g. 7 Wonders and click "expansions" I see lots of "fan expansions".

If you would prefer to use the expansions tab, you can use the sort in the upper right set to Name, and all of the 7 Wonders expansions will be at the top. The fan expansions will drop away to the bottom of the list.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/68448/7-wonders/expansio...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
Poddster wrote:
If I go to the page for e.g. 7 Wonders and click "expansions" I see lots of "fan expansions".

If you would prefer to use the expansions tab, you can use the sort in the upper right set to Name, and all of the 7 Wonders expansions will be at the top. The fan expansions will drop away to the bottom of the list.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/68448/7-wonders/expansio...

I don't think this method would work for every game on the site, though. It might, but I'm not inclined to check them all. whistle

If a single binary field could be added to all game/expansion entries in the database to flag as:
0 - official
1 - fan-made

That could then easily be added to the sort feature, making it a filter.

I'm not sure how the database is setup, but the injection of a field / column should be easy enough. Then a script could be run that searches for "fan made" (and variants thereof) in the title, then sets the field to '1' if found.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.