Matt D
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Episode 1: Hello and Goodbye
The TARDIS lands inside a Sycorax ship, where The Doctor and Susan learn upon investigation that they are hunting a fugitive in Rome near the fall of the Republic. The two are separated (repeatedly), and The Doctor seeks reinforcements from the local militia before reuniting with Susan, rescuing her from a rockslide. Realizing that finding out who this fugitive is may be the key to stopping the Sycorax's plan, they attempted to do some surreptitious research at a masked ball being held in the city centre, where they encountered a Roman centurion named Marcus Falco, who was seeking the fugitive for his own reasons. After accomplishing a breakthrough with further research, the group confronts and successfully defeats the Sycorax... for a price. Upon their defeat, The Doctor discovers that a portion of the ship's power core is set to detonate. He attempts to disable it, but is unsuccessful and forced to absorb the blast. As Susan and Marcus look on, The Doctor's features disappear in a curtain of golden light...
The Doctor regenerates into his second incarnation after absorbing the blast. Marcus joins The Doctor and Susan in their travels.

Production Notes: So that happened. Regeneration in the season premiere. You'll never see that on TV. After having both the Enemy and Goal revealed by the end of Turn 1, I ran into some horrible dice luck, getting Companion in Trouble on 3 different occasions. Then the climax hit. Oof. On the plus side, if this goes on long enough I could easily pull a "Season 7B" and do some more First Doctor/Susan adventures.

***P.S. if anyone comes up with a fantastic-sounding title for any of these episodes, please feel free to say so. Episodes need titles, and I'm rubbish at them.***
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great write-up - bad luck though! Those little square buggers can be cruel at times.

What about 'The Sycorax Hunt' as a title?

How would you compare 2e to 1e?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Fries
Germany
Windeck
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice aren't always nice...

What about 'Hello and Goodbye'?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarai wrote:
Dice aren't always nice...

What about 'Hello and Goodbye'?

Ooh, I think I like that title quite a lot. I think I might use that.

dragoncymru wrote:
Great write-up - bad luck though! Those little square buggers can be cruel at times.

What about 'The Sycorax Hunt' as a title?

How would you compare 2e to 1e?

I quite like the streamlining between editions, and the clean up of rules was very helpful for someone like me, who came back after a fairly long time away from 1e. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing future content as it gets released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you like 2e Matt.

There'll be a lot of new and revised content in 2018 with All of Time and Space being released!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And so we go onwards with a new Doctor!

Episode 2: Silence in the White House
While still recovering from the disorientation of his recent regeneration, The Doctor is unable to avoid the strong energy force which forces the TARDIS to touch down on a ruined space station. Upon exploring the station, The Doctor, Susan and Marcus happen upon a mysterious woman who introduces herself as River Song. After giving The Doctor a strange look, she shows her time detector and tells him that parts of Earth's history appear to have gotten twisted, with the source of the changes unknown. They travel to 1969, where -- after being brushed off by President Richard M. Nixon and his FBI entourage -- they discover through their investigation that The Silence have secretly invaded in an attempt to capture The Doctor upon his return to the planet. With the assistance of a NASA scientist, they're able to research a way of stopping both The Silence's plan and their final deadly puzzle. Unfortunately, with no indication of who may be behind the changes in history, they're left to take off in search of their next clue...

Production Notes: In case it wasn't obvious, this is the first episode of a Quest. Since it was still compatible with 2e, I figured it was worth throwing it in there. This was a pretty easy adventure, ultimately; I got a Turn 2 Secret Forces (e173) which let me ignore Enemy events and just focus on Investigating and Researching to find out the Goal and accumulate DM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Episode 3: The Master, The Monk and The Myths
The next stage of their investigation into Earth’s historical timeline being twisted brings The Doctor, Susan, Marcus and their new Ally River Song to Elizabethan England. Upon landing, they encounter a young tavern wench named Emma, who is trying to find someone to help with an unknown object she’s found. The Doctor is able to identify it as a Personal Force Field —- which he gives to Marcus for safe keeping —- and Emma decides to tag along with the group, her curiosity getting the better of her. The Doctor’s examination of the device reveals the telltale handiwork of The Meddling Monk, another of his contemporaries from Gallifrey.

Putting any thoughts of searching for him on hold, the group returns to the task at hand and begin to search for any clues the anachronistic device’s presence may have left behind. In short order they encounter The Master and his companion, and a bluff from The Doctor convinces him his plan may be in jeopardy, causing them to depart. The group attempts to give chase, but are sidetracked by Mary, a friend of Emma’s who works in the same tavern. Mary tries to convince Emma to come back to the safety of their workplace, but she refuses and ultimately convinces Mary to come with her instead on their grand adventure.

They continue their search and with a stroke of luck are able to find the source of the timeline distortions: a parasitic entity which The Master has been feeding in an effort to coax Earth’s history towards his own design. Having returned here from their previous encounter, The Master is there with 6 of the parasitic entity’s offspring. He tries to convince The Doctor to sacrifice one of his companions to the entity, to share in the power that he is so close to achieving. The Doctor refuses, and with the help of his companions and allies is able to successfully sever the entity’s connection to its temporal buffet. The Master is able to evade once more, escaping to his TARDIS as the entity and its offspring starve to death. That business having been concluded, The Doctor turned his attention to the enigma of River, just in time to see her blow a kiss at him and disappear in the telltale shimmer of a vortex manipulator.

The remaining group hadn’t been resting for more than a short while when they encounter a Maldovaran who had been captured by The Monk at some point in the past, but had been able to escape. He tells them of The Monk’s plan: to re-write history according to his own desires to spread chaos. The Maldovaran joins them, bartering his aid for a lift home when everything has settled down. The group is prevented access to the TARDIS by a large throng of city guards, and they decide to attempt to come back later when it’s safer, instead focusing on trying to find and stop The Monk.

They encounter a deserter named Ned while they’re conducting research in an effort to figure out what The Monk is trying to meddle in. Their breakthrough is somewhat pyrrhic, however, when they encounter a group of Will-o-the-Wisps, whom The Monk has been working as an agent of, and discover they want to replace the Human population of Earth with their own.

Susan is separated from the remainder of the group, who encounter Lady Hawthorne and her retainer. She has been deeply troubled by goings on of late and has been suspicious of the machinations of a newcomer whom The Doctor astutely identifies as The Monk. Lady Hawthorne and her retainer join The Doctor’s cadre and leads them to The Monk. The Doctor and The Monk mentally spar, and are initially evenly matched before The Monk’s concentration lapses and he succumbs. In an effort to save himself, The Monk allies himself with The Doctor. The Monk leads them to the Will-o-the-Wisps, and The Doctor is able to successfully defeat them, wielding the full breadth of knowledge he’d gained from their exploration and research, and the Will-o-the-Wisps retreat from whence they came.

The source of the Earth’s timeline being twisted is discovered to be The Master, and he is stopped. The Master escapes. River Song departs. The Doctor agrees to return the Maldovaran to his home planet.

Production notes: This was a long and complicated one. Our first Quest was completed (in part thanks to a timely re-roll) and we have our first encounter with The Master, however fleeting. Local allies a-plenty, and not much in the way of plot, but it felt like it could be a very jam-packed action-y episode, so I liked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.