19 Posts

Great Western Trail» Forums » Rules

Subject: Move engine backwards to a turnout space rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
zerg rush
msg tools
Hello GWT players!

After playing 10 or so games, we – a pretty disputatious group whistle – have an argument about moving the train backwards.

Using the bottommost auxiliary action to discard cards, my opponent stopped the engine at a turnout space:
- blocking it hereby,
- not upgrading the station master
- and paying one less coin for next delivery as opposed to staying on the railroad.

This seems sooo unfair to me. shake Moving the train backwards should be a penalty for the player discarding the card, but turned out to be the less costly option and hinder the other players. Is this intended?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whataboard wrote:
- and paying one less coin for next delivery as opposed to staying on the railroad.

Explain this? Moving backwards should never save you money on deliveries. Other than that, it's a valid blocking move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zerg rush
msg tools

In this image the blue player can deliver to Colorado Springs for one coin, but would pay two coins, if moved to field 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikatoy wrote:
whataboard wrote:

Explain this? Moving backwards should never save you money on deliveries. Other than that, it's a valid blocking move.

Actually it does! And it's a very clever blocking move.

The wording is that you count the crosses between the nose of your train and the destination. As the turnout is directly below a cross, that cross is not counted, whereas if you stayed on the track, say going back from 5 to 4, you will have to count that cross. The example in the rulebook has this exact example!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zerg rush
msg tools
cry Thank you, Des and Marlene!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huzonfirst
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
losfp wrote:
The wording is that you count the crosses between the nose of your train and the destination. As the turnout is directly below a cross, that cross is not counted, whereas if you stayed on the track, say going back from 5 to 4, you will have to count that cross. The example in the rulebook has this exact example!

I'll have to check the rulebook, but I'm almost certain that you never have to pay to make deliveries to cities that are behind your train's position. So you don't save money by moving backwards. Other than that, it's a perfectly legal move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
losfp wrote:

I'll have to check the rulebook, but I'm almost certain that you never have to pay to make deliveries to cities that are behind your train's position. So you don't save money by moving backwards. Other than that, it's a perfectly legal move.

If you deliver to a city behind the train, it's free yes. But being on the turnout saves you a coin compared to being on the main line, if you are delivering forward of your train. Let's say the train is on space 5. You go backwards due to the card trashing auxiliary action. You can either go backwards to space 4 or down into the turnout. Let's say you then deliver to Albuquerque. If you had gone to space 4, you would need to pay 4 coins. If you went into the turnout, you would have to pay only 3 coins. That is literally the example given in the book.

TO BE CLEAR: The act of moving backwards in and of itself does NOT save you a coin. The decision to use that backwards move to move into a turnout DOES save you a coin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, I read that as moving into a turnout vs not moving the train at all, which seemed confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Marshall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that when moving into a turnout, you must pay the cost and drop a disc. Only taking the station master is optional.

So he would also have had to pay the turnout cost.

I am wrong. Never mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TedMarshall wrote:
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that when moving into a turnout, you must pay the cost and drop a disc. Only taking the station master is optional.

So he would also have had to pay the turnout cost.

You don't have to pay the cost or drop a disc. You can just sit there. You may not sit there and then later drop a disc.

So yes, the player can sit there, do nothing for the whole game, and block the turnout. The OP seems to think this is not intended or somehow unfair, but it would not be a good thing to do to win the game (block one turnout for a long period of time).

If he/she times it well, she denies you the turnout at a time when you wanted. THat's all. Not really helping themselves to keep their train there the whole game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not so. From the rulebook:

Quote:
If you stop the movement of your engine on a turnout space of a train station, you must immediately decide whether or not you want to upgrade that train station.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
losfp wrote:
Not so. From the rulebook:

Quote:
If you stop the movement of your engine on a turnout space of a train station, you must immediately decide whether or not you want to upgrade that train station.

You can "decide" the answer is no. You do not have to do it. You just can't do it later if you decline it when you first pull in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The train movement can become its own micro game as people maneuver for position around the stations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colorado_Jeff wrote:
The train movement can become its own micro game as people maneuver for position around the stations.

Indeed -- the "leapfrog" mechanic in a four player game can seriously bend the curve depending on when you think your opponent will move, when you decide to move, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frontier Spirit
whataboard wrote:
This seems sooo unfair to me. shake
Now you know why the guys on the box look like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Charlton
United Kingdom
East Barnet
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
www.finchleygamesclub.org
mb
I tend to try to end the game with my engine still in the shed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh behave
RandomGraham wrote:
Let's hope that's not a euphemism. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always viewed blocking the turnouts as a very valid strategy, even if you have no interest in the station, or even if it doesn't save you a coin. If you want the station, get there first!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bull
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
misteralan wrote:
RandomGraham wrote:
Let's hope that's not a euphemism. whistle

bluetrain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.