Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Previous versions of Banzuke Shoushin had a number of flaws that I wanted to address for quite some time. A few weeks ago I finally sat down to do something about the main issues: fiddliness and lack of decision points. Neither issue has been solved completely - probably that's note even possible given the nature of the game - but I think the current version is a lot better in both respects.

The "Versions" thread lists three different versions of the game. To add to the confusion, now there is a fourth. However, the three previous versions - A, B, and C - are all very similar to each other and differ mostly in components and a few other details. In other words, they are all minor variants of version 1. Version 2 builds on version 1 (on version 1C mostly), but changes much more than just a few components. (Well, actually, it changes all components, but that's besides the point.)

Here's a picture of version 2 being playtested in a two-player game:

So, what's different between version 2 and the three variants of version 1?
- Players control stables (sumo beya) with up to three wrestlers rather than single wrestlers.
- The bout procedure has been overhauled completely. Players now make more meaningful decisions with regards to strategy in bouts. And it is much easier to calculate bout results.
- Spirit is no longer a "skill", but has slightly different effects.
- Training has been simplified.
- Various other details have been streamlined.
- The main board is larger, and the rikishi boards are abolished in favor of cards similar to version 1C. (But these cards need to be filled in with pen and pencil and are discarded after use, because I found that the dry-erasable pens used in version 1C became un-erasable after long breaks in the game.)

I'll probably make the current prototype of version 2 available on my website (and/or BGG) very soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Lohr
United States
Stoystown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This is exciting news! I've always been a fan of this game.

Very much look forward to your version 2 ideas.

Please keep us updated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
The files of the current version are available here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Peck
United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
paperparachute games! http://games.suspended-chord.info/
mbmbmbmbmb
Huzzah! This is quite exciting. I wanted to love version 1, but the two issues you've addressed here were holding me back. I'm exited to see where this develops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
More playtesting images:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Peck
United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
paperparachute games! http://games.suspended-chord.info/
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful, and striking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lex
msg tools
mbmbmb
A Tabletop Simulator mod of the new version is available on Steam here:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=16909...

Many thanks to Lajos for his kind permission!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.