Combat Infantry» Forums » General

Subject: A little confused about the strategy of scenario 1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew C
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Hi everyone, basically I'm a little confused as to how the scenario is actually supposed to play out. Looking at scenario 1, it seems to make the most sense for the Germans to deploy as close to the beach as possible to stop the allies from getting anywhere (perhaps keeping only the CHQ and a couple squads back in the town), but that makes for a very cramped game. Is that the point? Can the allies even deploy all of their forces on the beach if the Germans do that? Is it going to be almost all assaults on turn 1? idk, it seems silly to cram everything in 20% of the map, but maybe that's the point.

I wish there were some video footage of the game being played in general, that might help me get a better sense of the strategy and flow of the game. I've never played a block strategy game before and this one is throwing me off. I just can't get a grasp on it.

Thanks! I know this is kind of a vague open-ended question but I just feel like I'm missing something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fadeout4 wrote:
Hi everyone, basically I'm a little confused as to how the scenario is actually supposed to play out. Looking at scenario 1, it seems to make the most sense for the Germans to deploy as close to the beach as possible to stop the allies from getting anywhere (perhaps keeping only the CHQ and a couple squads back in the town), but that makes for a very cramped game. Is that the point? Can the allies even deploy all of their forces on the beach if the Germans do that? Is it going to be almost all assaults on turn 1? idk, it seems silly to cram everything in 20% of the map, but maybe that's the point.

I wish there were some video footage of the game being played in general, that might help me get a better sense of the strategy and flow of the game. I've never played a block strategy game before and this one is throwing me off. I just can't get a grasp on it.

Thanks! I know this is kind of a vague open-ended question but I just feel like I'm missing something.

First off, the Americans have a full company and six battalion assets. That’s a total of 22 units. There are 9 beach hexes, in which the stacking limit is 3 units. So there is certainly room for all the Americans coming ashore and with a couple of hexes of room for adjusting setup from game to game.

Secondly, since German units must set up in hexes that are farms, towns, or the lighthouse, or adjacent hexes, that leaves one hex on each beach as a gap the Americans might exploit. On the left, it’s the hex just left of the cliff without a slope on the back hexside) and on the right, it’s the half hex next to the beach and woods.

Based on setup rules, you could easily spread the German Company out across the hexes right up against the beach. But once the Americans break through, you’re going to have to scramble to cover Hilaire. You can shift more forces to the Hilaire side or more to the Basile sur Mer side but then you’ll be a bit weaker on the opposite side.

It’s worth noting for the Americans that there are some tricky Line of Sight spots they need to watch out for or else use to their advantage.
(1) The fourth beach hex from the left, closest to the map edge, can be seen from the hex in front of the Bois de Chene. A German MG or the Bunker there could fire over the closer beach hex because of that slope.
(2) The fifth beach hex from the left has cover from any units on the summit of Montebalise but units in the lighthouse can see it. The lighthouse can cover two the three beach hexes on the right.

Finally, yes, you’re going to have to jump right into some assaults. See if you can concentrate some fire right onto a single hex to blow a gap in the line. The trick is deciding how long to stay on the beach. You need to get some fire onto the Germans but move up with fresh units. Squad to squad, you probalby want at least 2:1 odds in steps but even that is going to be tough. If that seems like you’re just going to be pouring men into harm’s way, well, that’s exactly what happened on D-Day isn’t it?

Good luck! My wife and I have played twice. First game, my Americans lost, 12-19. Second game, I clawed my way to a win with the Americans, just 17-16! Lots of casualties!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Very cool, thanks for the clarification! I forgot that the rules allow you to use half hexes, that definitely opens up the map for the Americans quite a bit! I still have no idea how the Germans player would properly distribute his forces between the two beaches, Hilaire and Basile, but I guess that will just require trial and error.

One quick question: on the setup sheet for battalion special weapons, it says "Draw X", Draw 3 for Germans and Draw 6 for Americans. Does that mean you draw random special weapons (excluding artillery/air strike)? I can't seem to find any explanation in the rulebook.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fadeout4 wrote:
Very cool, thanks for the clarification! I forgot that the rules allow you to use half hexes, that definitely opens up the map for the Americans quite a bit! I still have no idea how the Germans player would properly distribute his forces between the two beaches, Hilaire and Basile, but I guess that will just require trial and error.

One quick question: on the setup sheet for battalion special weapons, it says "Draw X", Draw 3 for Germans and Draw 6 for Americans. Does that mean you draw random special weapons (excluding artillery/air strike)? I can't seem to find any explanation in the rulebook.

Thanks!

Yes, Battalion assets. Artillery and Air are separate and noted at the bottom of he order of battle for each side. Also note that the Germans draw 3 but also start with the bunker and two mines.

See Rule 2.5:
Quote:
Additional heavy weapons are carried at Battalion level; a yellow triangle indicates 1st Battalion. Battalion weapons are usually drawn randomly. They are commanded by their CHQ or by an adjacent PHQ.

NOTE: With 2+ companies, battalion weapons are attached to specific companies. Record attachments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.