Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m planning my 2018 game purchases and with the bumper crop year coming the list is long ...

Here is my list of games for the comming year ...

Would be great to see your list and your reason for those games.

Montélimar - Anvil of Fate: I like Adam’s new company level combat system. It factors in things like units moral erosion when in combat for too long and handles special assets in a great way. Gotta get this one
Smolensk: Barbarossa Derailed: A small OCS game on the east front! Sign me up.
A Time for Trumpets: I already have a battalion bulge games but the GOSS version may never get on the table. This version looks great and likely to get on the table in the future.
At Any Cost: Metz 1870: I’ve always been fascinated by the Franco-Prussian war ... this is an easy decision.
Gallipoli, 1915: Churchill's Greatest Gamble: I’m on sort of a WWI kick and I’ve always been fascinated with opposed landings. This is also an easy decision for me.
Stellar Horizons: This is a game I may be able to get my Uber techy family to play. It looks really interesting
Red Poppies Campaigns: Volume 2 – Last Laurels At Limanowa: Tactical Austrian vs Russians ... I want to give that one some time on the table.
Kharkov Battles: Before & After Fall Blau: I like Fall Blau ... this should be an interesting addition to the VCS system.
Maori Wars: The New Zealand Land Wars, 1845-1872: This looks like a very different wargame on a topic I would like to get educated on.
Trial of Strength: Reprint - I’m still looking for that perfect East Front game and have yet to find it. I missed the original printing so here is my big chance.
The Devil's Cauldron: The Battles for Arnhem and Nijmegen: Reprint - I always wanted this game as I really enjoy the company level games that Adam developed with MMP.

Honorable Mention (left out because they are rediculously expensive)
Roads to Gettysburg II: Lee Strikes North
Atlanta Is Ours
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some pre-orders pending.

GMT: Space Empires Replicators, Talon 1000, Tank Duel, Space Corps, Cataclysm. Thinking about Mr. President.

MMP: ASL Korea, ASL Red Factories.

Compass: Looking at Stellar Horizons, haven't pre-ordered yet.

Wait and see what else interesting turns up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Boyes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bayonets & Tomahawks
Cataclysm
A Glorious Chance
Hitler's Reich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sevigny
United States
Washington
D.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me be the first to give the hopeful answer: I plan to focus more on playing games I already have.

Likely I'll fall for a sale or two, the magazine subscription games never stop, and maybe a P500 will hit along the way, but really need to be less of a collector this yer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple of preorders which will definitely stand:
Talon 1000 - This is just too cool to pass up.
Tank Duel - The InsideGMT propaganda worked for me.
Cataclysm - Love the idea of a playable sandbox for the whole war. Plus it's well supported. Big plus: It's not as overproduced as Warroom.
Imperial Struggle - Interesting period, excellent pedigree.
The Battle of Rhode Island - Mr Completionist is in the house.

On the fence, will need to consider over the holidays:
At Any Cost: Metz 1870 - An important conflict in recent German history not yet represented in my library. Plus it will give a glimpse of the Blinds Swords system I haven't checked out yet. And it's relatively cheap.
Space Empires Replicators - The completionist beckons, but I feel I haven't used the other expansion enough yet. But it does interesting new things with the system...

Other releases of interest:
Maori Wars - For the map alone, this is a must buy. Must look into how Euro-friendly preordering is working with Legion...
Stellar Horizon - Interesting as an alternative to High Frontier. However, I've had a look at earlier versions of the rulebook and the structure was terrible. Might be convinced if the final rulebook was published and took a step in the right direction.
Fort Sumter - On the fence. How many games of its footprint do you need beyond Iron Curtain, Cousins' War, 13 Days...?
Ancient Civilizations of the Inner Sea - The InsideGMT articles have made this look pretty good.
Fields of Fire Vol. 2 - For a long time I thought I had to have either volume. I'd already passed on vol. 1 because I doubt I'll ever try to battle that rulebook.
Red Storm - Pretty much the same as for Fields of Fire, and I'd already passed on Elusive Victory, and I'm not sold on playability via email. However, the setting is tempting me.
Space Corps - Yes, Butterfield. Yes, SciFi. But my track record with getting solo-only games to the table is pretty bad.

Roads to Gettysburg II: Lee Strikes North, Atlanta Is Ours - Yes, they are ridiculously expensive, but it's GCACW! I'll probably find a way to justify at least AIO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saxon 357
United States
flag msg tools
badge
USS Independence CVA-62
mbmbmbmbmb

"The Dark Sands". Ted Raicer's "The Dark Valley" rolls into North Africa.

"Bear's Claw: 1941". Battles of Smolensk and Kiev. Consimpress Edition.

"The Russian Campaign". John Edward's Classic returns! Consimpress Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Richardson
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Waiting (im)patiently for my preorder (with all the trimmings) of...

Hannibal & Hamilcar

+1 The Russian Campaign

Two classics brought up to date, what is there not to like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
badge
To Take Washington: Battles of Monocacy and Fort Stevens, July 1864

If I have the money, I'll also consider Atlanta Is Ours and Here Come the Rebels (the reprint), but that's a pretty pricey combo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hollandspiele:
Table Battles; war of the roses expansion
Legion Wargames:
The Great Game
Heart of Darkness (it says 2016 but isn't out yet and not yet condfirmed but if it is released next year I'll get it
GMT
Time of Crisis: The Roman Empire in Turmoil, 235-284 AD maybe if it's availle online for a good price here in Europe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Michel
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
I have the two GCACW and Montélimar on pre-order, as well as the upcoming FAB: Crusader and the new Fighting Formations volume (hopefully 2018). I kickstarted Napoleon 1806 and having played the prototype I know the game is done. I also kickstarted Napoleon saga without playing it, but I'm also confident it will arrive in 2018 (the designer is a neighbur).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
The Game that started it all
badge
I know. It's an Awesome Avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb

as well as

Heard this Reprint is going back up for pre-order very soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and is Great War Commander finally being released in 2018?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe

Triumph & Tragedy

Cataclysm: A Second World War

Paths of Glory

And an expansion or two (OR ALL devil) of c&c: napoleonics.

Other than that, I'm all good. I thinkwhistle
I'll need at least a couple of years to play everything acquired so far, so no rush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
I have three games on pre-order for 2018:

This one features Steve Pole’s 7 Hex System, which I am very curious to try out.

Actually it’s Imperium Romanum III, but there doesn’t seem to be a BGG Page for it yet. Decision Games is doing an updated version of this classic, with the original designer, Al Nofi, providing input. I hesitate to buy anything from DG due to their track record of publishing under-playtested hot messes, but I’m feeling optimistic about this one.

I haven’t ordered anything from GMT in more than two years (I REALLY dislike COIN). This is the first wargame proposal from them that has caught my interest in a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Bugorski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Victory Lost: Crisis in Ukraine 1942-1943 I like chit pull, should solo well, it’s a classic
Fields of Fire doesn’t everyone want this?
Heights of Courage seems like a good game for PBEM
Summer Lightning: The Invasion of Poland 1939 my grandma passed away and one of the last conversations we had was about her recollections of the invasion
It Never Snows if HoC goes well then this, I love playable monsters and big maps (cartophile)
Ancient Civilizations of the Inner Sea love the ancients and this seems playable
Time of Crisis: The Roman Empire in Turmoil, 235-284 AD same as above
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McNaughton
United Kingdom
Derby
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some hex and counter, some CDG and some COIN in chronological order:

Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar – Ariovistus to expand the possibilities in what is already a very good game.
Battles of the Warrior Queen to allow my niece to fight as Boudicca.
Pendragon: The Fall of Roman Britain the topic is really interesting and the buzz is strong.
Waning Crescent, Shattered Cross intrigued by the situation and mechanisms.
Imperial Struggle so that I can contribute to the inevitable debate about its status as 'wargame' or not.
The Battle of Rhode Island I have the rest of the series.
The Great Game interested in the setting.
Thunder in the East since The Third World War series is right at the top of my favourites, so Mr Chadwick gets my support.
Invierno Cubano: Castro's Counterinsurgency, 1959-1965 to expand the best introduction to the COIN system.

And those will get me very close to, if not over, my £500 budget so I must not visit any shops, conventions or second hand sales!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea if this is coming out in 2018, but if it does, it's an insta-buy:

Enemy Action: Kharkov.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At Any Cost: Metz 1870
I was looking for something on the Franco-Prussian war and Hermann Luttmann games had been popping up on my radar. Might as well start here!

Ardennes '44
I'm going for everything in the series.

Death Valley: Battles for the Shenandoah
To join two other games I have from the series, then that should do. Lots of scenarios.

Fire in the Lake
The COIN I most wanted. Maybe top of my grail game list right now.

Gandhi
The theme appeals to me and I like COIN.

The Hunted, The Hunters
I wanted something on subs. I considered Steel Wolves, but I think that might be a bit too involved for my level of interest in the topic (I am more keen on tanks and aircraft).

Mr President
Interesting topic and I'd like to have it as it's dear to the heart of Gene Billingsley and GMT is just so cool.

Musket & Pike Dual Pack
It's mostly This Accursed Civil War I want, being English and very interested in the topic.

No Retreat 3: The French and Polish Fronts
I intend to get all the No Retreat's. I like the maps too.

Pendragon
COIN in Britain? Sure. I like Roman themes too. No-brainer.

Red Storm
NATO vs Warsaw Pact? A bunch of cool jet fighters. Hell yeah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Next Wargame on my list of potential acquisitions is Arquebus: Men of Iron Volume IV.

Otherwise, my focus has recently expanded to include RPGs, so will be looking to purchase a few of those in the upcoming year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael W.
Germany
Böblingen
flag msg tools
badge
The whole mad swirl of everything that was to come began then; it would mix up all my friends and all I had left of my family in a big dust cloud over the American night.
mbmbmbmbmb
At Any Cost: Metz 1870
Recently, I am quite taken with the chit-pull system (after I played A Victory Lost). Set in an "underused" period and by Mr. Luttmann, what else would you like to have?!

Bayonets & Tomahawks
Since I read about this game, I am very intrigued by the action token system. Good to hear that Q2 2018 seems likely.

Cataclysm: A Second World War
Chit-draw system, the whole WW2 playable in an evening? Count me in!

Europe in Turmoil: Prelude to the Great War
I have always been fond of Twilight Struggle and 1989: Dawn of Freedom. So no hard decision here.

Imperial Struggle
Auto-buy.

Prelude to Rebellion
CDG with an interesting twist on the scoring mechanic. IMHO, Compass Games is doing very interesting new releases!

Space Corp

Triumph of Chaos v.2 (Deluxe Edition)
Again, I like CDGs and find the Russian Civil War to be an interesting topic. My main concern lies with the question of playability. But if it turns out to be too cumbersome (for me), it wion't be a problem to sell it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've fallen hard for grand strategy this year. Also very excited by Cataclysm and many others previously mentioned above (including the non-grand strategy games).

I'm REALLY hoping Nation in Arms and War & Peace get their pre orders in 2018...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Seven Years War: Frederick's Gamble: CDG on Frederick.

Stonewall: The Battle of Kernstown, March 23, 1862: gonna get an oldie by Great One.

W1815: publisher says they are going to reprint it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Arrowstorm (PSC)
Isandlwana (S&T and another by White Dog)
Burning Suns (could the KS finally deliver?)
Blackout (might this KS ever actually be published?)
Rally Round the Flag (when Jeff figures out how to package all those standees)
Maori Wars
Pearl Harbor
C&C Medieval
Expansions for Horse & Musket and Table Battles (Hollandspiele)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clubb
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hitler's Reich
More C$C:A expansions
Cuba Libre and te new expansion
Time of Crisis(going to get this one soon)
UpFront(been using a friend's copy, have to have my own)
Sekigahara

I am still new to modern wargames, so this represents the start of my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Commands & Colors: Medieval is probably at the top of the list. Also there's the The Great War: French Army Expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.