Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Anderson
United States
alpine
ut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just trying to understand ivits ability. When they form their second and any future federations, does the only contributing buildings come from new satelite connected planets or do buildings built adjacent but after the last federation count?

Another way to ask this is, do new buildings adjacent to the federation count towards building the next one?

Sorry if this question doesn't make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helge Ostertag
Germany
Hofheim
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
moonshine64 wrote:

Another way to ask this is, do new buildings adjacent to the federation count towards building the next one?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is part of a larger principle that the federation doesn't have a "memory" - that is, it doesn't know which buildings were present when previous federations were formed. All that matters is the total power value.

So (as an extreme example) if I first form a federation by joining two sets of buildings each with power value 6, that federation totals 12 power value. I can now make a second federation when the total hits 14, i.e. when I add only 2 more powers' worth of buildings; I do not need to wait until I've added another 7, because the federation doesn't "remember" that it was of size 12 when it was initially formed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder how it works in "unusual" situations. As per the rules, with Der Schwarm (or its uninspiring English translation "Ivits") you can only have one federation, which gains you new federation tokens as you grow it to multiples of 7 power.

So let's assume I have a previous federation which meanwhile has grown to 12 power, plus two clusters of 5 power each. Now I take the "form federation" action by connecting them all with a satellite or two. Do I get two new federation tokens right away, or do I get one for this action, and have to do another "form federation" action (without placing any satellite) for the second one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastian Winkelhaus
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would get 1 Federation token. And would only be able to connect one cluster of value 5.
You would have to take another federation action to connect the second cluster and get the next federation token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Don't forget that that you can also make a space station as one action to connect a new cluster. However, you would also need to take a second action to form a federation since they do not occur automatically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forming a federation gives you always only one token, that's just the rules for that action
the Invits allow you to take that action afterwards again, if you still have enough power

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zlorfik wrote:
You would get 1 Federation token. And would only be able to connect one cluster of value 5.
You would have to take another federation action to connect the second cluster and get the next federation token.
Well, the fewest number of satellites to connect the first cluster of 5 may be exactly at the spot where it connects the other cluster of 5 too, so technically, your 2nd sentence is wrong. But I get the meaning: I can only score one federation per action, just like any other faction.

Thanks for the clarification.

#FAQ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hawaiian
msg tools
mb
When you put down a space station as The Swarm can you put it anywhere that doesn't have a planet?

When building on it are you paying a terraform cost? Or it's like a free red planet that you can build on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You follow the same rules as placing a mine for range but, yes, any blank space within your navigation range. The space station then, potentially, expands your range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It’s basically a free and improved satellite that gives you +1pw to your federation forming and counts as a starting point for navigation. This 1 power point does not create any leech opportunities for any players. You can’t build a mine on the space station, and it doesn’t block others from adding regular satellites on the space station location. It (and regular satellites) block the lost/black planet from being placed on that spot and vice versa. You must build the space station on a space hex and the only cost is using the action.

(edit to add DocCool's leech point below)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A space station neither offers powers to neighbors when being built, nor does it allow to charge power when others built in its vicinity.

Your opponents can place satellites in a space containing a space station, so (unlike the Lost Planet) it cannot be used to block a satellite path to form a federation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hawaiian
msg tools
mb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
It’s basically a free and improved satellite that gives you +1pw to your federation forming and counts as a starting point for navigation. You can’t build on it and it doesn’t block others from adding regular satellites. It (and regular satellites) block the lost/black planet from being placed on that spot and vice versa. You must build the space station on a space hex and the only cost is using the action.

Okay so it counts as +1pw towards your towns.

Thanks everybody.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.