Subject: PSA- If you're Colorblind, Pie Town might not be playable for you rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Phan
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Posted this on Reddit and decided to post it here too. Gave this game a try at PAX Unplugged and this game was very colorblind unfriendly for me. I've seen good reviews for it, but not many mentions of this issue, so I wanted to warn anyone who is colorblind or games with people who are colorblind. I don't want anyone picking up the game and finding they can't play it.

I couldn't see the difference between the yellow and green apples, and they are both the same shape. They could've used more distinct shades or different shapes for the apples. I feel like I'm in the less severe spectrum of colorblindness too. :/

Usually I can ask people about which is which if the game is that bad, but this is a game all about secrets and secret recipes, so you can't really continually ask. If you're colorblind or you game with colorblind players, I'd say give it a pass.

These are the apple tokens in question. If you can tell the difference between the yellow and green apples, you should be fine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruse
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Interesting. One thing you might be able to do is drawn a symbol with a pen like a Star or a circle or a line on apples of the same color to distinguish them.

I’d think the bigger problem would be telling the dice apart. Though I guess you could ask on that a lot easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Phan
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The dice aren't too bad, because to me at least, they are distinct primary colors. But yeah, the dice are also more public knowledge, so you could more easily ask for them.

For me at least, I don't like marking my stuff. I'll probably just pass on it since it just seems like a worker placement with a new mechanic mixed in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I understand not wanting to mark the tokens, but maybe there's an unobtrusive way to do it, like painting the background (not the apple) black, or adding a thicker outline to the apple, or adding a little glitter or something.

I can see why the game designer chose these colors, they work well for the theme, but you'd think they could have added a little worm to the green apples, or used different apple shapes for each color, or a checkered tablecloth background or something. I'm sorry the design makes the game unplayable for you, it must be frustrating and disappointing to be left out when the fix could have been so easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh, oops. I just looked at the pictures of the rest of the game, and realized that you'd have to modify more than just the tokens. Well that wouldn't work well, how disappointing! soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fremgen
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this, I made sure to bring this to Renegade's attention and you probably saw they replied to the original reddit thread but I just wanted to post it here as well:

"
Renegade Here - Thank you for posting this. We are very conscious of color-blind issues and usually go out of our way to make sure that our games are inclusive in every way possible. However, sometimes things slip through the cracks and we make a mistake. In our rush to get Pie Town out ahead of the holidays, we missed one of our normal checks and did not run the apples through the gamut of color-blind test filters that we usually use.

As a result, we have updated our art check list to ensure that this mistake does not happen again. We have several games in the pipeline right now and we are double checking all of them. This is an issue that is very important to us and we appreciate that this community cares about it too. Thank you for your understanding. -Renegade Game Studios (/u/Toshirauma)
"

Sorry we missed this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.