5 Posts

Massive Darkness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Simple Clarification on Movement Example in Rule Book Please rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cryotech
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read other posts and watched some videos but for some reason, I just ended up being more confused. Normally this wouldn't be confusing me so much but I think my brain is fried and needs some help breaking this down.

1) When I watch tutorials on this game being played, people are only performing 3 actions. This makes sense because the rules state the following:

Quote:
"Each Hero can perform up to 3 Actions during his Activation..."

I take this to mean I can perform a total of 3 of any of the following in any order:

Move - one zone
attack
reorganize / trade equipment
open door
pick up
get up

Examples of only taking 3 actions:
1) Move Hero one zone, open a door, move inside room
2) Open door, move inside room, pick up treasure
3) Move 2 zones, attack
4) Attack, Attack, Move or,
5) attack, attack, attack.
etc., etc.

However, my confusion begins with this example from the rule book and I think it's because of the way it's worded:

Quote:
EXAMPLE:
Whisper uses 1 Movement Action to Move twice, then uses another Movement Action to Open A Door and Move into the chamber. She then uses her third Action to Pick Up the Treasures in the room and decides to waste her remaining Movement Point and stay there .

breaking down the above example:

Quote:
A) Whisper moves 2 zones spending 2 MPs for 1st Action)
B) opens a door and moves again (2 MPs spent for 2nd Action (opening door = 1 MP, moving = 1 MP))
C) picks up treasure (1 MP spent for 3rd Action)and wasting the final 1 MP based on choosing to stay there which implies she could've moved again if she wanted.

In total 6 MPs were available to her which has me changing the way I now play - and would make sense - but I'm not sure if I'm interpreting that example right because I don't see anyone performing up to 6 movement type actions. Usually just 3.

Would the following scenarios be correct based on the example from the rule book?

Quote:
1) - Hero moves 2 zones for a total of 2MPs for 1st Action, moving another 2 zones for another 2 MPs for 2nd Action, and attacking on the 3rd Action; effectively causing the Hero to essentially give up 2 MPs that could've been available if they elected to take a Movement action rather than an attack option.

2) - Hero moves 1 zone for 1 MP and opens door for 1 MP (2MPs total) for their 1st Action. Hero moves into the room (1MP) and picks up treasure (2nd MP) for their 2nd Action. Hero then moves out of the room (1MP) into a zone with another Hero and proceeds to trade equipment (2nd MP); ending their 3rd Action and their turn.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin C.
France
Annecy
flag msg tools
Not a traitor
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
You can do three actions/turn :
These actions can be a Move, Attack, Trade or get up from a stun.

Attack, trade/reorganize and get up are straightforward. The Move action works like this :

You have 2 MPs by Move action (3 if you're playing whisper). MPs can be used to move from a zone to another, open a door, pick up tokens.
You can't take another action in the middle of a Move action (so you can't move 1 zone, attack, then move a second zone).

So in your example :

Quote:
1) - Hero moves 2 zones for a total of 2MPs for 1st Action, moving another 2 zones for another 2 MPs for 2nd Action, and attacking on the 3rd Action; effectively causing the Hero to essentially give up 2 MPs that could've been available if they elected to take a Movement action rather than an attack option.

Correct.

Quote:
2) - Hero moves 1 zone for 1 MP and opens door for 1 MP (2MPs total) for their 1st Action. Hero moves into the room (1MP) and picks up treasure (2nd MP) for their 2nd Action. Hero then moves out of the room (1MP) into a zone with another Hero and proceeds to trade equipment (2nd MP); ending their 3rd Action and their turn.

Not correct, Trade/reorganize is its own action, like Attack, and Movement points cannot be used to trade, since trade is not part of a Move action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, take another look over the Actions section of the rulebook and pay attention to action costs. Understanding the Movement Action is the most important of those things, as Benjamin points out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cryotech wrote:
1) When I watch tutorials...

First contributor to your confusion. You should stop relying on the videos that were developed during the KS for rules clarifications. Many of the rules changed prior to production. Rely on the rulebook instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cryotech
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification and help all.

I thought that's how it was supposed to go but for some reason, it just wasn't clicking. And I knew that about trade too. That's definitely a face palm moment shake lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.