Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Aeon's End» Forums » General

Subject: Can't Beat Rageborne rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the base game on Tabletop Sim twice. Won once, barely lost another game. I recently bought Aeon's End, War Eternal and the Depths and immediately mixed it all together.

My wife and I cannot beat Rageborne, which is supposed to be the easiest. We can't even get him below 50HP before Gravehold is destroyed or we are killed. I have tried playing the healing class and the "event blocking" class (which by the way, are REALLY boring in 2P because you HAVE to spend almost all your funds on charges for your abilities which grows dull).

When the Nemesis gets to go first and he pulls out a 3 Power card with no "to discard" effect which does 2 damage to a player with the most prepped spells, this means your team is immediately going to lose 30% of its health right out of the bat. How do you counter that? Most of the "to discard" power cards we are encountering cost 8 to be rid of, I remember numbers closer to 6.

We are buying a mix of healing, gravehold healing, charge providing and damage cards, but we cannot kill the minions off fast enough. The ones that automatically do damage to use or Gravehold and also have high HP are just brutal.

Anyway, should I not have mixed everything in? I don't remember it being this ridiculously difficult before. I feel like it's not possible to beat with only 2 players.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Power card effects only trigger when all tokens have been removed from the card, not once for each token removed. Seems like you might be playing this wrong.
4 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Power cards only trigger when there is no token left on them.

2. Don't mix the Nemesis basic cards from Aeon's End and War Eternal unless you're ready to get utterly destroyed.

3. Buying off charges repeatedly is a good thing to do for most of the characters. If you don't like that I'm afraid you're not gonna like many characters in the game as they all greatly benefit from doing that. That said:

4. Purchasing cards over and over and over is not a good strategy. This is not JUST a deckbuilding game. Once you've set 2 or 3 combos up and got good economy, you should concentrate on focusing your breaches and charging your character/discarding power cards.
Usually, 10 cards is already a lot to invest in, you don't really need more, most of the time. That said:

5. If you have trouble dealing with early minions you should focus on building up faster. Either purchase low-cost spells and fire them off rapidly (Feral Lightning is great to dispose of early threats) or go full economy fast and then splash in big and nasty spells.
Or take a mage that has 4 sparks. Jian is a great early (and late) mage.

6. Brama and Z'hana (if you have her) is a great, great combo against Rageborne. Brama can heal you repeatedly and has decent economy, while Z'hana can heal Gravehold pretty consistently, has good economy, and is a damage monster once you get her going, thanks to Eternal Ember.

7. You know that Rageborne is all about damage, so it should be easy to choose mages. Adelheim, Z'hana, Phaedraxa, Brama, Ulgimor, Remnant, Mazahaedron, Gex are all very relevant if you're afraid to see your lifepoints go down.

8. No really, don't mix the basic cards unless you're ready for it. It's even written in the War Eternal rulebook!
6 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Helikoputtrik wrote:
Power card effects only trigger when all tokens have been removed from the card, not once for each token removed. Seems like you might be playing this wrong.


Wow. I'm a total moron. We could have completely won had it not been for these. So stupid am I. Cheers!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:


2. Don't mix the Nemesis basic cards from Aeon's End and War Eternal unless you're ready to get utterly destroyed.

8. No really, don't mix the basic cards unless you're ready for it. It's even written in the War Eternal rulebook!


Great thing the rulebooks list the cards for each set. Oh wait, they don't. That bothered me since I opened the game and tried to catalog everything. Odd for a card game to not have a car list I'll have to scout the forums.

Thanks for the tips!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:
Great thing the rulebooks list the cards for each set. Oh wait, they don't. That bothered me since I opened the game and tried to catalog everything. Odd for a card game to not have a car list I'll have to scout the forums.

Thanks for the tips!


Each card has a number with a letter for the corresponding set (except the two standalones who share their numbers).
There is a spreasheet lying around but I can never get the address. You should find it fairly easily.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Quell
United States
Albany
NY
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the link to the spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1e4nmOptkcfhIaK7TrB3r...

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quella627 wrote:


Adding it to my favourites
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian B
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mb
JustinRRizzo wrote:
When the Nemesis gets to go first and he pulls out a 3 Power card with no "to discard" effect which does 2 damage to a player with the most prepped spells, this means your team is immediately going to lose 30% of its health right out of the bat. How do you counter that?

I assume here that you are talking about the Power card Bleed Static, which you also posted about here: Blind Static is pretty OP in a 2P Game
In addition to the rule that a Power card only resolves one time, after the last token is removed from it, it sounds like you misread this card - the last line says "for each of their prepped spells". So that player does not take 2 damage, they take 2 damage for EACH of their spells - could be more than 6 damage, but could also be zero, if neither player has any spells prepped. Due to the above-mentioned rule you overlooked, you have 3 nemesis turns to try to cast everything- this is your counter.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: tweaked to clarify what question I was trying to answer.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliot Davis
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
Cowabunga!
badge
Art by Kev Brockschmidt
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How should we keep the WE and AE basic cards separate? I was planning on combining my boxes. Would you recommend an extra divider? So, you'd have six slots - WE 1st Tier, 2nd Tier, 3rd Tier, and the same for AE?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ellionious wrote:
How should we keep the WE and AE basic cards separate? I was planning on combining my boxes. Would you recommend an extra divider? So, you'd have six slots - WE 1st Tier, 2nd Tier, 3rd Tier, and the same for AE?


AE facing front, WE facing back.

Easy!
For now!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:
Helikoputtrik wrote:
Power card effects only trigger when all tokens have been removed from the card, not once for each token removed. Seems like you might be playing this wrong.


Wow. I'm a total moron. We could have completely won had it not been for these. So stupid am I. Cheers!


We beat Rageborne yesterday with Brama + Phaedraxa. Great game and incredibly close (their special abilities really saved our butts). But now I see we also played this incorrectly and triggered power cards each time the token was removed (played just for the second time).. laugh
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Bergenstråle
Sweden
Luleå
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Azikin wrote:
JustinRRizzo wrote:
Helikoputtrik wrote:
Power card effects only trigger when all tokens have been removed from the card, not once for each token removed. Seems like you might be playing this wrong.


Wow. I'm a total moron. We could have completely won had it not been for these. So stupid am I. Cheers!


We beat Rageborne yesterday with Brama + Phaedraxa. Great game and incredibly close (their special abilities really saved our butts). But now I see we also played this incorrectly and triggered power cards each time the token was removed (played just for the second time).. laugh

I can't even imagine how much more difficult that must have been, good job beating Rageborn in this 'Devils prodigy'-mode!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Wharton
msg tools
I've been in a similar position, mixed War Eternal in with the original set and I'm having a hard time getting through the minions, think I got to T3 cards and hadn't even damaged Rageborne!

I'm playing entirely randomly so far, random mages, random market cards and I have found that the way some cards synergise just doesn't work if it's this way. Like I had the Indian guru looking guy whose special power lets him take a gem costing 4 or less? There were no gems costing 4 or less in the market! Should I really be picking cards and mages specifically?

I really like the game, but I'm getting nowhere fast so far!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't recommend full randomization. You don't need to do a full pick of the market, but sticking to a 4/3/2 spell/gem/relic setup adds a lot of structure to make your games more consistent overall.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Wharton
msg tools
qxc0 wrote:
I don't recommend full randomization. You don't need to do a full pick of the market, but sticking to a 4/3/2 spell/gem/relic setup adds a lot of structure to make your games more consistent overall.


Sure, Ive still kept a 4/3/2 structure, just randomised within those categories. I'm struggling so far though, just managed to get deep into Tier 3 Rageborne and got wiped out for about the 5th time. Despite making a conscious effort to get rid of cards and invest in charges, I'd done 3 damage to Rageborne! Those minions just seem to soak up all my spells.

I will persist as I do find the game fun despite my failures.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad you don't log your plays, I'd have liked to see your setup.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Wharton
msg tools
Well I just had another game and managed to get him down to 31 health and then he wiped out Gravehold with one Nemesis card left. I was much more aggressive with early spell buying this time and tried to take advantage of focusing breaches more.

This was with Mist, Jian, Brama and Dezmodia.

Market was...

Frozen Magmite, Clouded Sapphire, Scoria Slag.
Primordial Fetish, Bottled Vortex.
Spectral Echo, Planar Insight, Celestial Spire, Crystallize.

Crystallize combined with Jian using Black Mirror to cast it twice was very useful for some of the heavyweight Minions. I'm still a way off beating what is supposed to be an easy fight, but progress made I suppose!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ Pankiewicz

California
msg tools
I find Rageborne by far the most difficult nemesis to beat out of both the base set and War Eternal. I'm not sure why they recommend beginning play with him, other than he is more straight forward than some of the others.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Llyranor Ilfarath
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jamie_W wrote:
I've been in a similar position, mixed War Eternal in with the original set and I'm having a hard time getting through the minions, think I got to T3 cards and hadn't even damaged Rageborne!

I'm playing entirely randomly so far, random mages, random market cards and I have found that the way some cards synergise just doesn't work if it's this way. Like I had the Indian guru looking guy whose special power lets him take a gem costing 4 or less? There were no gems costing 4 or less in the market! Should I really be picking cards and mages specifically?

I really like the game, but I'm getting nowhere fast so far!

Did you mix the base game and War Eternal basic nemesis cards as well? That may end up with a harder game because you might end up with too many minions to fight.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tilted Libra wrote:
I find Rageborne by far the most difficult nemesis to beat out of both the base set and War Eternal. I'm not sure why they recommend beginning play with him, other than he is more straight forward than some of the others.


Really? I have to play him on Extinction to have a hard time against him.

Care to expand on your reasons?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Wharton
msg tools
Llyranor wrote:
Jamie_W wrote:
I've been in a similar position, mixed War Eternal in with the original set and I'm having a hard time getting through the minions, think I got to T3 cards and hadn't even damaged Rageborne!

I'm playing entirely randomly so far, random mages, random market cards and I have found that the way some cards synergise just doesn't work if it's this way. Like I had the Indian guru looking guy whose special power lets him take a gem costing 4 or less? There were no gems costing 4 or less in the market! Should I really be picking cards and mages specifically?

I really like the game, but I'm getting nowhere fast so far!

Did you mix the base game and War Eternal basic nemesis cards as well? That may end up with a harder game because you might end up with too many minions to fight.


Yes, I have been doing this. I've just got through another attempt and was unsuccessful! I had 35 damage to inflict collectively to minions along the way too.

I just do not seem to be able to cycle cards out of my hand effectively. I'm still drawing up hands full of sparks and crystals in Tier 3. I tried Conclave Scroll in this last game but it had a very low success rate as a card destroying option.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie_W wrote:
Yes, I have been doing this. I've just got through another attempt, I gave in as I had three nemesis cards remaining and still the full 70 damage to do to Rageborne and 16 damage to do to Avatar of Wrath! I had 35 damage to inflict collectively to minions along the way too.

I just do not seem to be able to cycle cards out of my hand effectively. I'm still drawing up hands full of sparks and crystals in Tier 3. I tried Conclave Scroll in this last game but it had a very low success rate as a card destroying option.


That does sound like one of the rough minion mixes that can occur if you're fighting a mixed deck, hence why some people recommend against it.

Conclave Scroll is actually a weaker form of card destruction if you don't have everything very precisely organized and coordinated - in general, I end up preferring less conditional versions. Despite the extra cost, I actually like Molten Hammer more. I'm also fond of Spectral Echo, just because it also gives you a bit of damage - something that people can otherwise forget about if they're too focused on managing their own deck/economies.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamie_W wrote:
I just do not seem to be able to cycle cards out of my hand effectively. I'm still drawing up hands full of sparks and crystals in Tier 3. I tried Conclave Scroll in this last game but it had a very low success rate as a card destroying option.


Try Bottled Vortex or consuming Void instead.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamie_W wrote:
Llyranor wrote:
Jamie_W wrote:
I've been in a similar position, mixed War Eternal in with the original set and I'm having a hard time getting through the minions, think I got to T3 cards and hadn't even damaged Rageborne!

I'm playing entirely randomly so far, random mages, random market cards and I have found that the way some cards synergise just doesn't work if it's this way. Like I had the Indian guru looking guy whose special power lets him take a gem costing 4 or less? There were no gems costing 4 or less in the market! Should I really be picking cards and mages specifically?

I really like the game, but I'm getting nowhere fast so far!

Did you mix the base game and War Eternal basic nemesis cards as well? That may end up with a harder game because you might end up with too many minions to fight.


Yes, I have been doing this. I've just got through another attempt and was unsuccessful! I had 35 damage to inflict collectively to minions along the way too.

I just do not seem to be able to cycle cards out of my hand effectively. I'm still drawing up hands full of sparks and crystals in Tier 3. I tried Conclave Scroll in this last game but it had a very low success rate as a card destroying option.


You do not need to have a super small deck to win at this game. It is one of many possible strategies. Most people do not prioritize buying enough spells, both individually and as a team. Rushing straight to super deck thinning tends to make the early game much harder, sometimes to the point that the game is lost before your deck can be 'perfect'
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.