United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
"Dude, what does mine say?"
badge
"Sweet, what does mine say?"
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule book says (on bottom of page 8) that when you pass, you take a scientist and move it to your worker pool. Then it says that when all players have 3 turns in this phase, evaluate the left over dice.

I'm so use to "passing" meaning that you are out of the entire phase, but this wording sounds as if you are just passing 1/3 turns and you possibly could do this action again, or do something else with your other 2 turns in this phase. There is nothing in the rule book that states when you "pass" you are done for the round, and of course, out of all the examples in this rule book, there is no example to show this action choice.

Any ideas on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each player gets 3 turns. Passing does not mean you are out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah
Japan
Okazaki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dallasstars945 wrote:
The rule book says (on bottom of page 8) that when you pass, you take a scientist and move it to your worker pool. Then it says that when all players have 3 turns in this phase, evaluate the left over dice.

I'm so use to "passing" meaning that you are out of the entire phase, but this wording sounds as if you are just passing 1/3 turns and you possibly could do this action again, or do something else with your other 2 turns in this phase. There is nothing in the rule book that states when you "pass" you are done for the round, and of course, out of all the examples in this rule book, there is no example to show this action choice.

Any ideas on this?

Maybe an easier way of thinking about it is that you are passing that scientist’s turn to phase 3, rather than passing out of your other turns in phase 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trae Lenox
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wish they would have called it something else more thematic and less confusing... like "New Job Assignment" or "Changing duties"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, in many games "passing" means you're out for that phase of the round. In DI, "passing" is just another type of action.

In the Research Phase, "passing" is just delaying that scientist worker's action to Phase 3 (Lab).

In the Market Phase, "passing" is just collecting $2 rather than buying something with your action.

The Research pass action could have been called "Assign to Lab".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
Yes, in many games "passing" means you're out for that phase of the round. In DI, "passing" is just another type of action.

In the Research Phase, "passing" is just delaying that scientist worker's action to Phase 3 (Lab).

In the Market Phase, "passing" is just collecting $2 rather than buying something with your action.

The Research pass action could have been called "Assign to Lab".

I agree, and the market pass could have been called “raise cash”.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trae Lenox
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback! I'm typing up a quick guide and I want to make the rule correct

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Guajardo
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the rules it sounds like I need to place a scientist on the pass action then I must have an available scientist to temporarily add to my worker pool. Any thought on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewis
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KEGuajardo wrote:
After reading the rules it sounds like I need to place a scientist on the pass action then I must have an available scientist to temporarily add to my worker pool. Any thought on this?

The scientist that you use to pass is the one that gets added to your worker pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
mbmbmbmbmb
We called it "passing" because it's the only action you take during Phase 1 that does not involve you putting a scientist on the research board. I can see how it would be confusing for some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trae Lenox
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2nd printing adjustments! HAHA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.