Daniel Lin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I am new to Warhammer and I just bought this game after watching a few review videos on youtube. It is very exciting.

Now I have a question about painting the minis. Is it easier to paint the minis after the assembly? Or is it easier to paint the minis before the assembly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel Lin wrote:
I am new to Warhammer and I just bought this game after watching a few review videos on youtube. It is very exciting.

Now I have a question about painting the minis. Is it easier to paint the minis after the assembly? Or is it easier to paint the minis before the assembly?

I think you'll find everyone has their own preference.

I always build first. This makes the model easier to manipulate while painting, and also means I don't have to have finished painting before playing. The downside is that sometimes it's difficult to paint some of the hard to reach places, especially on very dynamic models.

Some people assemble the models in sections, paint the sections, and then assemble.

I would say, unless you're planning on entering any Golden Daemon competitions, it isn't worth the hassle of dealing with individual components. But like I said - everyone settles on their own way of doing things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Congratulations on getting silver tower

This youtube playlist will cover pretty much every character in the game (The fyreslayer isnt the same as in the box)
I used these tutorials to help me paint the set

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLx-NpAfOQqc1BwvIJNJDY...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for all the replies and merry Christmas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Forte
Canada
flag msg tools
Your first few will probably take a while. Be patient, before long you will be finishing models much quicker and with higher quality outcome. Also I'd recommend resisting the urge to paint one model at a time. I know it's tempting because you want to just see a finished model. But the truth is bulk painting (several acolytes at a time for instance) really makes things go a lot faster.

For example if you are painti 5 accolytes base them all. Paint the base skin, clothes weapons etc for all models. Then move on to the next steps for all models in progression
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With a brush.........

Couldn't help myself, I'm bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do not worry about how long painting takes you, and do not calculate how long the whole set will take.

Because you will get a LOT faster.

RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
Daniel Lin wrote:

I think you'll find everyone has their own preference.

Though this is true, not all opinions are equal.

Build first "mostly." You'll find that it is best to have a miniature assembled UNLESS there is a spot that you cannot reach that has detail on it.

The big trick is painting in the right order. Generally, you want to think of painting as getting dressed- you start out with the skin, then move to the lower layers and eventually end up with the outer layers.

The reason is because it is hard to paint innermost areas without getting paint on the spots surrounding them- so painting in this order will allow you almost all of the advantages of painting before assembling.

Once in a great while, I come across a mini that needs something painted before assembly- but I can't think of any such minis in the Warhammer Quest box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.