Rue Sailmana
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
The Hedgehog Can Never be Buggered at All
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I bought Cash 'n Guns especially for the holidays to be able to play with more players. I'm not a really big fan of party games, but I love this one!

The main thing I look for in games for a lot of players is a minimum of down-time, preferably just playing all at once, which this game offers.

But now I find myself in the situation that I'm with more than 8 players on new year's eve, 11 to be precise.

I'm a heavy gamer myself, but not all of the others are, so I am looking for a fun, light party game that's interesting for both gamers and non-gamers.

But here's the catch;
- I really don't like games in which you have to do silly things/movements.
- I'm not a big fan of Cards Against Humanity. Although it is my kind of humor, it feels a bit forced in a game.
- I love a minimum of down-time as mentioned before; so the games I have/like for more players are: 7 Wonders, Sushi Go Party!, Ultimate Warriorz, Ca$h 'n Gun$.
- Not too much rules. Last year we played The Dragon & Flagon and for 2 of the players that was too difficult and they really didn't like it because they didn't understand it.
- Everyone in this groups loves escape rooms, but maybe with 11 that's a bit much (we are going to do two escape rooms in the afternoon that day though)
- The group consists of 6 heavy gamers, 2 non-gamers, 3 in-between, 1 non-Dutch speaker (so preferably English or language independent).
- We're not looking for an evening filling game.
- Hanabi fell flat, didn't work with me and my husband.

Chances are my husband wants to play 30 Seconds, which should work fine with this many players, but to be honest I'm trying to avoid that!

I could always buy One Night Ultimate Werewolf or any of the other werewolf games of course, but I was hoping there is something else as well I would like, would be suitable for the group, but I haven't thought about before.

And maybe something with a winter theme? (that's too much, isn't it?)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HANJEL T
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try to answer you:
Black stories
- Players: 2-30
- Down time: No
- Silly things/movements: No
- Humor: Not mucht
- Not to mucht rules: Yes
- Language dependance: Only one player need to speak English
- Tested with non-gamers: Success

Dixit
- Players: 3-12
- Down time: little
- Silly things/movements: No
- Humor: No
- Not to mucht rules: Yes
- Language dependance: Independent
- Tested with non-gamers: Success

Saboteur + Saboteur 2
- Players: 2-12
- Down time: Yes
- Silly things/movements: No
- Humor: Yes
- Not to mucht rules: Medium
- Language dependance: Independent
- Tested with non-gamers: Success
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Codenames? Depending on your players, it can take a bit long to come up with clues, but I've had a lot of success with it.

I really like Monikers, which you don't even need to buy if you feel creative enough to come up with your own words. It does have you do pantomimes in the last round of the game, but you can get a teammate to do that if you don't want to! In the other rounds you use words to give clues.

I'm not a big party gamer, and most games I have (or have played) in that genre are for fewer players (up to 8, usually), so I can't give more advice, sorry!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Mannheim
Deutschland
flag msg tools
Avatar
I think Deception: Murder in Hong Kong, Codenames and A Fake Artist Goes to New York might be the right fit.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rue Sailmana
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
The Hedgehog Can Never be Buggered at All
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HANJEL wrote:
I'll try to answer you:
Black stories
- Players: 2-30
- Down time: No
- Silly things/movements: No
- Humor: Not mucht
- Not to mucht rules: Yes
- Language dependance: Only one player need to speak English
- Tested with non-gamers: Success

Dixit
- Players: 3-12
- Down time: little
- Silly things/movements: No
- Humor: No
- Not to mucht rules: Yes
- Language dependance: Independent
- Tested with non-gamers: Success

Saboteur + Saboteur 2
- Players: 2-12
- Down time: Yes
- Silly things/movements: No
- Humor: Yes
- Not to mucht rules: Medium
- Language dependance: Independent
- Tested with non-gamers: Success


Oh, black stories is a good one! Didn't think about that and I have it in my collection.

Dixit and I haven't been a very good match, but maybe I should try it again
Same goes for Saboteur

(Yes yes I know, I;m too picky about my games )

Gswp wrote:
What about Codenames? Depending on your players, it can take a bit long to come up with clues, but I've had a lot of success with it.

I really like Monikers, which you don't even need to buy if you feel creative enough to come up with your own words. It does have you do pantomimes in the last round of the game, but you can get a teammate to do that if you don't want to! In the other rounds you use words to give clues.

I'm not a big party gamer, and most games I have (or have played) in that genre are for fewer players (up to 8, usually), so I can't give more advice, sorry!


Codenames felt kind of flat last time I played it. Which is a pity, because mostly I love Vlaada's games! But also one I could give a second chance

Ah, Moniker could work for other things than famous people and all (Those famous people are exactly the reason I want to skip 30 Seconds, I don't know all those people )

And yes, I'm not a big party gamer either, so I love advise from fellow non partiers

Incredibul wrote:


Deception looks AWESOME! I'm going to look for that one for sure!

That fake artist sounds like fun as well, should check it out


Thanks all!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mascarade goes up to 13, plays quick and requires people's constant attention.

6 nimmt! only goes up to 10 but has essentially zero downtime.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Davis
United States
Hobbs
New Mexico
flag msg tools
This was a triumph
badge
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying til' you run out of cake.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Panic on Wall Street! it's a fast paced stock trading game that plays up to exactly 11

Also check out Mafia de Cuba
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Incredibul wrote:
I think Deception: Murder in Hong Kong ... might be the right fit.


This, hands down. Absolutely fantastic game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hatch
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
♪♪ These are a few of my favorite things ♪♪
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... I'm afraid I can't really help you with the question you actually asked. I can relate to what you're asking about, though, since I'm not a fan of most party games myself, and in the past I've browsed the BGG database specifically looking for highly rated games that work with high player counts. But 11 is a bit much. I'm happy finding anything that goes above 6... and the few games I know that go up to 11 have already been mentioned.

That said, you might want to take a look at Camel Up. It "only" goes up to 8, but I've found it to work quite well at high player counts. Players do take individual turns, but can often be done quickly and several of the possible actions will have an effect on everyone.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Werewords says it goes up to 10, but I'm sure you could fudge it.

And Monikers but not people is Time's Up! Title Recall!, which would always be my choice for large groups.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hatch
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
♪♪ These are a few of my favorite things ♪♪
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh! And I almost forgot... Spyfall 2 might work for you. (The description of A Fake Artist Goes to New York reminded me of it.) The original Spyfall only goes up to 8, but the sequel can handle 12. Personally, I don't like the pressure of trying to come up with good questions even when I'm not the Spy, but it does make an excellent party game that is more like Werewolf than traditional party games.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
I am also not a big fan of party games, but enjoy a big group game.

+1 Panic on Wall Street

+1 6 nimmt!/Slide 5 - it can easily play 11. Just give everyone 9 cards instead of 10 (and either put a random card back in the box, or the 1 or 104). Pretty mindless fun, but not a party game IMO. I've seen a player win when they were in the bathroom and we were just taking the top card from their face-down hand each round.

Extra! - a roll-and-write with no turns (any player rolls the dice and all players use the dice independently) that can play any player count equally well. I've played with classes of 15 or so and surprisingly no one gets the same score from the same dice rolls - there's a lot of choices to make. You can print out fan-made sheets for free.

Formula D - I've played with more than 10 players, using the simultaneous-rolling d20 chart variant, 1 lap, jamming all the starting positions close together, and extra printed boards to track their WP and gear. It's a blast!

Leader 1 - it can technically play 12, in teams of 2 or 3 or solo cyclists. But it's a lot heavier than Formula D and rules in the box are not great. Not recommended for non-gamers/non-racing game fans.

Flamme Rouge + Flamme Rouge: Peloton - can play 12 in teams of 2. I'm looking forward to trying that sometime.

But the best choice would be Mega Civilization shake


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Goddard
England
Holmfirth
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Telestrations is great and the more players you have the funnier it gets.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Avenue
Vegas Wits & Wagers
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D
msg tools
Grand Prix
Good race game. Seats 11
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Black
United States
Walpole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Discover the Fun
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eleven players and a winter theme? I would skip the game and have a snowball fight instead.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eleven is a good number for Eat Poop You Cat.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wendelin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
My first suggestion would be Times up! Title Recall!. Even though you're not all playing at once, it's both necessary and tremendous fun to watch the other teams when it's their turn.

Others that our game group has found fun at this number are: The Resistance: Avalon, A Fake Artist Goes to New York, and Bananagrams.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Pages
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I would recommend Dead Last. It is a very fun, cash N Guns style shooting game, where players are asked to cooperate to shoot at one another, until there are only 2 left.

Trick is, if you are the target of the most votes, you're dead, and if you did not side with the popular vote, you are also dead, so you constantly have to stay informed or deceive your target to band together without letting the target know.

A really simple and easy game, that gets very little publicity, but is a great addition to any party game list.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rue Sailmana
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
The Hedgehog Can Never be Buggered at All
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ronhatch wrote:
Well... I'm afraid I can't really help you with the question you actually asked. I can relate to what you're asking about, though, since I'm not a fan of most party games myself, and in the past I've browsed the BGG database specifically looking for highly rated games that work with high player counts. But 11 is a bit much. I'm happy finding anything that goes above 6... and the few games I know that go up to 11 have already been mentioned.

That said, you might want to take a look at Camel Up. It "only" goes up to 8, but I've found it to work quite well at high player counts. Players do take individual turns, but can often be done quickly and several of the possible actions will have an effect on everyone.


Although I'm still curious about this one, I really fell in love with Cash 'n Guns for 8 players

Interociter wrote:
Werewords says it goes up to 10, but I'm sure you could fudge it.

And Monikers but not people is Time's Up! Title Recall!, which would always be my choice for large groups.


I had that one in my hands this afternoon, but the earlier advised -albeit a bit more expensive than I thought - Deception: Murder in Hong Kong won for now

ronhatch wrote:
Oh! And I almost forgot... Spyfall 2 might work for you. (The description of A Fake Artist Goes to New York reminded me of it.) The original Spyfall only goes up to 8, but the sequel can handle 12. Personally, I don't like the pressure of trying to come up with good questions even when I'm not the Spy, but it does make an excellent party game that is more like Werewolf than traditional party games.


Yeah I have the same about Spyfall, coming up with good questions under pressure

Ryan Keane wrote:
I am also not a big fan of party games, but enjoy a big group game.

+1 Panic on Wall Street

+1 6 nimmt!/Slide 5 - it can easily play 11. Just give everyone 9 cards instead of 10 (and either put a random card back in the box, or the 1 or 104). Pretty mindless fun, but not a party game IMO. I've seen a player win when they were in the bathroom and we were just taking the top card from their face-down hand each round.

Extra! - a roll-and-write with no turns (any player rolls the dice and all players use the dice independently) that can play any player count equally well. I've played with classes of 15 or so and surprisingly no one gets the same score from the same dice rolls - there's a lot of choices to make. You can print out fan-made sheets for free.

Formula D - I've played with more than 10 players, using the simultaneous-rolling d20 chart variant, 1 lap, jamming all the starting positions close together, and extra printed boards to track their WP and gear. It's a blast!

Leader 1 - it can technically play 12, in teams of 2 or 3 or solo cyclists. But it's a lot heavier than Formula D and rules in the box are not great. Not recommended for non-gamers/non-racing game fans.

Flamme Rouge + Flamme Rouge: Peloton - can play 12 in teams of 2. I'm looking forward to trying that sometime.

But the best choice would be Mega Civilization shake


Hèhè, I could try to persuade them to play TI4

Peegee13 wrote:
Telestrations is great and the more players you have the funnier it gets.


Oh, this looks nice as well!

jfeast wrote:
Eleven players and a winter theme? I would skip the game and have a snowball fight instead.


Yeah, but there's that thing about everyone walking around with fireworks...

Carthoris wrote:
Eleven is a good number for Eat Poop You Cat.


Ah, apparently the inspiration for Telestrations?

guigtexas wrote:

I would recommend Dead Last. It is a very fun, cash N Guns style shooting game, where players are asked to cooperate to shoot at one another, until there are only 2 left.

Trick is, if you are the target of the most votes, you're dead, and if you did not side with the popular vote, you are also dead, so you constantly have to stay informed or deceive your target to band together without letting the target know.

A really simple and easy game, that gets very little publicity, but is a great addition to any party game list.


Ah, looks nice!

All in all I went to the store and bought Deception for now It looks so awesome!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.