Lincoln Damerst
United States
California
flag msg tools
GameNight!
badge
GameNight!
mbmbmbmb

Tonight on GameNight!, Nikki, Mike, Dave, and Lincoln play Azul, designed by Michael Kiesling and published by Plan B Games.

Thanks for watching and please subscribe to us on YouTube - with more subscribers we get more freedom in how we run the channel.

http://youtube.com/boardgamegeektv
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximiliano Sanchez de Bustamante
Argentina
Olivos
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the episode. This game is awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was actively hoping you guys would feature this game! Thanks for a great episode, and convincing me I do want this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rundle
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love this game, and am so pleased that you featured it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

@25:10. Although nobody swore, it would be appropriate to overdub a load of bleeps at that moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Great video guys, I love it and really enjoy that you guys dig Azul. It's great!

Quick correction on the variant side rules ---

You play be the same rule as the front (no duplicates in rows) and no duplicates in columns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Hedberg
Canada
Terrace
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dammit... I ordered Century: Golem Edition two days ago and almost added Azul to the order. Now I wish I had, that game looks great! Thanks for the playthrough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ D
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, a great game. The more I play, the more I like!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
albynomonk wrote:
Dammit... I ordered Century: Golem Edition two days ago and almost added Azul to the order. Now I wish I had, that game looks great! Thanks for the playthrough!

Well Golem Edition is still a good game

Also did anyone notice the dark blue tiles at 35:20 match Dave?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Durkin
United States
Corte Madera
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of bumping cubes on the scoring track ... around 44:15, Lincoln bumps his and resets it back one. I think he actually tied for the win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
durkinphd wrote:
Speaking of bumping cubes on the scoring track ... around 44:15, Lincoln bumps his and resets it back one. I think he actually tied for the win.

Somebody keeping score on a piece of paper is surely better than having several of those delicate and fallible score tracks on the go. Pencil and paper is simple, checkable and auditable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As for losing the 14 points - In one game (I've played it 8-9 times), two of us had (-14) rounds! And...we finished 1st and 2nd in a 4-player game. You could say the other guys played badly, but I have found that I never worry about taking a minus tile or two (in multiple rounds), to get what I want. The key, for me at least, is to go for 5 of one single color and try to complete two columns - don't worry about the horizontal rows or minus tiles.

Obviously, this doesn't always work out, but for me it has proven to be a 'competitive' strategy, if not always a winning one. What others do, of course, affects you, so you may not always be able to do what you want - an therein is part of the charm of the game: trying to find alternate ways of getting combinations that score multiple times.

A great play-through, BTW. I followed intently and paused at each overhead shot to think what I would do here if I was Nikki, Lincoln, Mike, or Dave as the case may be. Sometimes we agreed and sometimes we didn't. I always love your play-throughs, and the camaraderie of your group

An awesome game, Azul. Definitely at the top of my hotness list, along with Charterstone. Thanks for the entertainment and 'after-thoughts.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wait...
Do I understand this correctly?
Dave has never played before, but he's teaching the game?
Yet Nikki and Lincoln both seem to have played before?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
johnb4bgg wrote:
Wait...

Well, there's that well known phrase about teachers.

And, "Dave, will you teach us....?", is Lincoln's catchphrase.

And, it feels like the earth might shift off its axis if Dave doesn't do the teaching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sanches
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If you don't need tweezers to play the game, it is not a wargame!
mb
Thank you for the play through. The game designer owes you a commission for at least one copy more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Damerst
United States
California
flag msg tools
GameNight!
badge
GameNight!
mbmbmbmb
You wouldn’t want me teaching the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This reminds me of Zooloretto. My son would always set the player in front of him up for the best set of tiles and I couldn't stand it. We played a few more times but it just kept happening and that player would always end up winning. We got rid of the game fairly quick. With that said, he is very good at every other game we play(he's 7).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnb4bgg wrote:
Wait...

Some people are just really good at reading the rules and knowing how to explain them really well. I have a friend that can read rules to a game he’s never played, then explain/teach it to others like he has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
heccubus wrote:
You wouldn’t want me teaching the game

Ah.
So Dave(and Aaron) is the rules whisperer in your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Scussel
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ParisPink wrote:
johnb4bgg wrote:
Wait...

Some people are just really good at reading the rules and knowing how to explain them really well. I have a friend that can read rules to a game he’s never played, then explain/teach it to others like he has.

I teach 70% of the games I play with my group. Of those 70%, 90% I have never played before and am teaching straight from the rule book. I’ve never had a problem reading the rule book and translating it straight into a teach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GoingTopShelf wrote:
ParisPink wrote:
johnb4bgg wrote:
Wait...

I teach 70% of the games I play with my group. Of those 70%, 90% I have never played before and am teaching straight from the rule book. I’ve never had a problem reading the rule book and translating it straight into a teach.

Yeah I can not do that, I have to use the rulebook as a guide. He reads it and just remembers everything he's read and teaches it perfectly. I also am not a fan of teaching games, I get uncomfortable with everyone looking at me and listening to my every word. hah

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
Looks like 28 is coming in this year!
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful game certainly, but I agree that having colours and patterns on all tiles would be nicer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hentz
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Re: Azul - GameNight! Se5 Ep21 scoring
My understanding is that you score one for placing the tile on the 'wall', and then you score for how many are horizontal and vertical with that piece included. So if you put a tile down next to one other tile, you would score 1 (for placing)+ 2 for the connected tiles = 3 pts. It doesn't appear that a pt was scored for the placing when the players were adding up and marking their scores. Is that wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cathro
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chazbo54 wrote:
My understanding is that you score one for placing the tile on the 'wall', and then you score for how many are horizontal and vertical with that piece included. So if you put a tile down next to one other tile, you would score 1 (for placing)+ 2 for the connected tiles = 3 pts. It doesn't appear that a pt was scored for the placing when the players were adding up and marking their scores. Is that wrong?

In your example the player would only score 2 points (one for each tile).

In the rulebook it says "If there are no tiles directly adjacent...to the newly placed tile, gain 1 point..."

The next bullet point says "If there are any tiles adjacent, however, do the following:" (emphasis added)

(Paraphrasing here) Count all horizontally linked tiles (including the newly placed one) and gain that many points; then count all vertically linked tiles (including the newly placed one) and gain that many points.

So, you only gain the one point for the tile if there are no other adjacent tiles. If there are, it will be worth one or two points depending on where the adjacent tiles are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.