Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Defending France rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Moeller
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
After you have conquered France as the Axis in a west first game, how many units do you leave behind as a garrison? In the few games I've played I've thrown most of the half step garrison armies in there so I could be safe and forget about it, but I find myself later wishing I had only kept a small number in the west so the others could back my lines in Russia. If there's any type of war happening in Africa, the UK doesn't have much to spare in terms of ground forces, so even if they land successfully they'd be more of an annoyance than an actual threat. Would it be crazy to leave garrisons in only the more geographically important ports?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly leave garrisons at strategic locations. As you point out, how busy the UK is elsewhere will dictate the quantity. Losing Brest to a UK invasion is annoying as it impacts Strategic Warfare and then you have to spend production kicking them out.

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Kellomäki
Finland
Tampere
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cobert wrote:
After you have conquered France as the Axis in a west first game, how many units do you leave behind as a garrison?

Depends on the UK/Med situation and how many allies I have (you only need so many garrisons/minor armies in Russia), but not many.

The compulsory three home defence armies can already protect important points like Brest. Before the US there's not that much the UK can do in France, and I find their surprise attack way too important in the Med to be used in some invasion that will ultimately lead nowhere. So, I gradually strat move garrisons west as the US starts to build a presence in England.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.