Subject: How many games from 2017 are you adding to your Top X of all time? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: where's_the_poll [+] [View All]
Bryan Gerding
Poland
Łódź
łódzkie
flag msg tools
Offering reviews, rulebooks, editing, playtesting, and Polish translation. PM me for details.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm currently building my Top 50 of all time (#hype). I do it every year. This year I noticed at least 5 new games in very high ranking that are from 2017 (or at the very least 2016 post-essen).

Anyone else noticing this? 2017 was a massive upset to my rankings!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too early to tell but Sid Meier's Civilization: A New Dawn might be one for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Esbech
Denmark
Odense M
Danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Western Trail and Azul are heavily flirting with my top 10 (who am I kidding they are firmly in there).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Gerding
Poland
Łódź
łódzkie
flag msg tools
Offering reviews, rulebooks, editing, playtesting, and Polish translation. PM me for details.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Western Trail took my top 5 so far (#spoilers).

I REALLY want to try Azul, but I can't justify buying any games right now. Some day...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Now get off my lawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Esbech
Denmark
Odense M
Danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HeirToPendragon wrote:

I REALLY want to try Azul, but I can't justify buying any games right now. Some day...

I'd invite you over for a game, but I'm sure you could find several copies on your 11 hours drive before you reached me. (Also you could probably buy the game instead of paying for the petrol).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier, Sr.
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As of now, a big fat zero. Reason: I don't have any games from 2017!!

There IS one on my Christmas List - "Unearth". That looks like it's a pretty fun game, but I doubt that it would be 'Top 10' material...possible top 25 material, though. If I decide at some point to pick up 'Terraforming Mars', that looks (at first glance) like it could have the makings of a top ten game in my book. But as of now, I don't think it would make it to the table enough to warrant my investment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloomhaven at number 2 is the only one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 so far: Codenames Duet would be in my top 20. But if you ask me again in a couple of years that could change -- I don't play very many games right after they are published.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently none, but these stand a chance of breaking into my top ten (which I need to update) after more plays:

Edit: Oh, top 50, you say? I was talking top 10. Ahem, these are nailed-on top 50, and potentially top ten material after more plays:

Lisboa
London

But it is tough. I was really surprised when I started to rank my top 100 games how much I like games all the way into the 50's!

So I can believe Tom Vasel when he says, don't make too big of a deal about games falling out of his top 100, or dropping a lot of places in the top 100, etc. He has played so many more games than me.

I was very impressed with these too, but doubt they will hit top ten:

Edit: Cave vs Cave faces a battle to make top 50 and may need an expansion to sneak in. Unfair is defo top 50.

Caverna: Cave vs Cave - needs at least one expansion like Agricola All Creatures did, but will we get one with Mayfair going under?

Unfair - I think this deserves more praise than it gets. It is mean, but a riot to play!

Anyway, my wife and I didn't get so many Euros this year so I would like to hear that the year mostly sucked, please!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll tell you that in 10 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had an official Top X list, Gloomhaven and The 7th Continent would be in there for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pericles: The Peloponnesian War is looking like a long-term favorite so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe two?

Fallout and Too Many Bones.

Need to play them more first though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. "Ponder" Rummy
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
"there are many ways you can pay your rent, but that’s not really who you are, and the rest of the time you can polish a little part of your mind until it’s bright enough for someone else to notice." - Jerry Holkins
mbmbmbmbmb
oh, yeah. Unearth, TEQ, and Lisboa all made it to my "Top X" list. yup, i'm X-ing those and i regret giving into the hype. so glad i played GH and TI:4 before i made a similar mistake.

oh, don't get me wrong! those might still be good games for you. it's just been an eye-opening year for me as far as settling into my taste in boardgames goes. a real "eyes bigger than my plate," cult of the new, and impulse-buy kickstarters coming home to roost situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
In my top 50, definitely Lisboa and Gaia Project(a better terra mystica that was also in my top 50). And I think I might even put A Game of Thrones: Catan – Brotherhood of the Watch, if not really close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it.
badge
His marvels of artifice pale in comparison to the developing machinery of his mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe one, I'm not sure yet, but I'm liking 18Ireland.

I played maybe a handful of worthwhile new games.
The five games I'll keep from this year are the one mentioned above, 18CZ, For-Ex, Pericles: The Peloponnesian Wars, and Colonial Twilight: The French-Algerian War, 1954-62.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Venser wrote:
Maybe one, I'm not sure yet, but I'm liking 18Ireland.

I played maybe a handful of worthwhile new games.
The five games I'll keep from this year are the one mentioned above, 18CZ, For-Ex, Pericles: The Peloponnesian Wars, and Colonial Twilight: The French-Algerian War, 1954-62.

Looking at getting 18Ireland soon. I got 18CZ a few weeks ago but haven't had a chance to play it. I also just got Pendragon: The Fall of Roman Britain a couple days ago and haven't had a chance to play that either. Those I may pull a "oscars" rule and state if they come after essen, it's 2018 season.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
John Company may hit top 100. Have not played Pericles yet. Besides a few others, a bit of a lame year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Top "x" games need 3-5 plays to be eligible depending on the list, so some of them will depend on that. Gloomhaven, Clank in Space(grouped with Clank), Clans of Caledonia, Codenames: Duet(merged with Codenames), Too Many Bones, Ethnos, and Spirit Island are ones I think have some chance although as along as I'm doing a Top 50, Too Many Bones and Ethnos will likely sit out while being rather good. Definite Top 100 after 3 plays though. A number of others could make it if I had easier access to them. So genuinely new games seems to be about three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk K

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd probably have to play to a few more times just to be sure, but Delve has really resonated with me and would probably crack my Top 50. Azulwould probably have a chance of making it too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TI4 for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HeirToPendragon wrote:

Not trying to be an ass but wasn't Great Western Trail was a 2016 release. It was definitely one of my favourites from that year.

Century: Spice Road
Charterstone
Magic Maze
Spirit Island

These are the only four games I have in my possession that came out this year. I just got Charterstone and Spirit Island in the mail so they haven't been played yet but I guess they may pose a threat. Century is pretty good but hasn't blown my mind. Magic Maze is awesome!. It has cracked the top 10 but maybe the top 20. My gaming group is my immediate family so really fun, quick, and simple games can rate highly if they are done right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Vestal
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far only one or two depending on how you count. Definitely Lisboa, and also I really enjoy Lignum (second edition) but I don't know how new editions should work with regard to the quality of a year, especially since first edition was already just as great and the changes were just art and adding a small expansion (and availability, which is maybe the most important thing).

But I haven't played anything from Essen yet. Granted two of the ones I'm most excited for are Wildcatters and Kepler-3042, both of which are reprints, but I also really want to try Agra, Heaven & Ale, Gentes, Otys, and maybe a few others I can't think of. And hopefully at least some of those crack my top tier of games. And I'll probably play Gaia Project and like it quite a bit as it looks to be very similar to Terra Mystica which is currently sitting at 16 for me. The question is just whether it's different enough for me to want it, which is why I'm not as hyped as I am for the games listed above.

But overall I agree that this year seems like it was a lot stronger than 2016, even before playing anything from Essen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Davies
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Koneko: A PvP worker placement game set in a very Feline Feudal Japan........
badge
Celtic Connection Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Charterstone has now taken its place as my GotY and GoaT, displacing Outlive which is now 2nd in both categories. Despite concerns with a couple of things, Fallout is easily top 20 of all time (not sure sxactly where), Jump Drive is my number 3 GotY.

I can't remember what else I've played from this year but either way 2017 has had a major impact on my lists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.