19 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Mission Pack Map Assignments rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Morgan Vening
Australia
flag msg tools
As some players have suggested (including me!), a unfiltered Map Deck is nigh unmanageable, both from a card count perspective (you're looking at 100+ cards as it stands), and from a speed perspective (finding the corresponding map tile is a time consuming pain in the proverbial, especially if the reverse side is already on the table). There's also the issue of not having to deal with getting multiple consecutive passageways that can be tiresome.

So the general agreed upon solution was that you would sort the Mine Cards by Otherworld, and at the start of each game, you would randomly pick a World card for a non-required Otherworld, and use that Map deck and those Map Tiles for all "Mine" rooms.

So, that brings us to the Mission Packs. Each of those comes with a map tile, and at the least, a Map card. So which set of map tiles would you place each in?

Some are obvious from the fact that the reverse is also a card for a specific world. Succubus and Cynder. Lost Army and Jargano. Black Fang and Blasted Wastes.

So that leaves three unassigned map tiles that need a home. Vampires, Werewolves, and Crimson Hand. And three otherworlds to which they could be assigned, Derelict Ship, Trederra and Targa.

I can see several combinations that might work, but was wondering what other people thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. C.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Derelict ship is not a full mine map deck as it is minus 1 room ( along with the passages ) so that would be a good place to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Vening
Australia
flag msg tools
The Silence wrote:
The Derelict ship is not a full mine map deck as it is minus 1 room ( along with the passages ) so that would be a good place to start.

I was kinda thinking of one per OW. That way I can add the mission pack to the randomizer list for that OW.

Also, the Trederra deck is one card short too. But that's because it makes use of the other in the Dark Chasm card (and a second corner piece needed).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lewis
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
I do a similar sort by Otherworld. However, I've left items like Void Hounds, Void Sorcerors, Scafford, and some other Otherworld non-specific models as an "Other" option. These get pulled from when resolving a Wandering Monster event. Their special mission(s) also becomes an option for the next Adventure. We treat them as a random campaign side-quest.

That being said, to your original question:
I'd tag the Werewolves for the Targa. They don't fit for Derelict Ship. I could see them as genetic monstrosities developed for the war in Trederra, but the imagery of wolves hunting in the winter wastelands fits for me.
The Derelict Ship also seems most suited to the vampires. Constant night, no need to breath, all the victims of a space plague; the explanations make themselves. I could see them in Targa or Trederra too, but not as much the Ship.
Which leaves the Crimson Hand for Trederra. Cultists can be worked in anywhere, but having them running around in a war-torn world full of darkstone mutated people? Not a huge stretch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. C.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morgan Vening wrote:
The Silence wrote:

I was kinda thinking of one per OW. That way I can add the mission pack to the randomizer list for that OW.

Also, the Trederra deck is one card short too. But that's because it makes use of the other in the Dark Chasm card (and a second corner piece needed).

I didn't realise that Trederra was also one shy of a full map deck. Useful information for when I receive/check off my Minecart.

Does it come with a full mine passage set or are they absent as per the D/ship?

I really like Dverning's thinking. we had wondered our selves whether we might bolster the COTA threat deck with the Werewolves. Our thinking was that it was the ideal desolated place where those with the curse could migrate towards in order to prevent harm to others. its just that it wasn't going to work out that way. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Morgan Vening wrote:
So the general agreed upon solution was that you would sort the Mine Cards by Otherworld, and at the start of each game, you would randomly pick a World card for a non-required Otherworld, and use that Map deck and those Map Tiles for all "Mine" rooms.

I think this solution is terrible, as it groups sets of unique rooms so they’re always found together. My solution is easier (in my opinion), better for variety and allows incorporation of those mission tiles with no issue.

A basic map deck is made of:

6 corridors
4 basic rooms (no encounter listed, two copies each of two types in a base set)
8 unique rooms

So we will replicate that! Grab your six corridor cards from a single set (should be no duplicates) and four basic rooms (may have duplicates if working with one core set, for example). This forms your base deck.

Now shuffle together every unique room you have in a separate deck. Before each game, draw 8 cards from this deck and shuffle into your basic deck. If you want to get fancy and have more than four basic rooms, you could do the same thing with those (shuffle and pick four for each game).

Put your extra corridors and basic rooms in a ziplock bag and put them somewhere out of the way (bottom of box, under the insert, etc) so you don’t have to sort them out again each game.

The only drawback of this method is that you can’t sort your actual map tiles, so you’ll be pulling from a much bigger pile. That can take longer when retrieving a tile mid-game. But I prefer it for the variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bloom
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So do the missions tiles not have anything on the flip side for Were, Vamp, and Hand? That is kind of a letdown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearttousai wrote:
So do the missions tiles not have anything on the flip side for Were, Vamp, and Hand? That is kind of a letdown.

That’s exactly what they have. They each come with a special tile for their mission, related to the enemy and story like vampires or werewolves or cultists.

But instead of being blank on the back, they included new unique mine rooms so you get that as a bonus in addition to the scenario room in each pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bloom
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah! That is less of a letdown. I guess having random otherworld tiles for an expansion you might not have isn't ideal. Extra mine rooms is a pretty good compromise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Vening
Australia
flag msg tools
Dormammu wrote:
Morgan Vening wrote:

I think this solution is terrible, as it groups sets of unique rooms so they’re always found together. My solution is easier (in my opinion), better for variety and allows incorporation of those mission tiles with no issue.

A basic map deck is made of:

6 corridors
4 basic rooms (no encounter listed, two copies each of two types in a base set)
8 unique rooms

So we will replicate that! Grab your six corridor cards from a single set (should be no duplicates) and four basic rooms (may have duplicates if working with one core set, for example). This forms your base deck.

Now shuffle together every unique room you have in a separate deck. Before each game, draw 8 cards from this deck and shuffle into your basic deck. If you want to get fancy and have more than four basic rooms, you could do the same thing with those (shuffle and pick four for each game).

Put your extra corridors and basic rooms in a ziplock bag and put them somewhere out of the way (bottom of box, under the insert, etc) so you don’t have to sort them out again each game.

The only drawback of this method is that you can’t sort your actual map tiles, so you’ll be pulling from a much bigger pile. That can take longer when retrieving a tile mid-game. But I prefer it for the variety.

While your point regarding the grouping of similar rooms is a good one, it doesn't really become THAT much less diverse in reality, especially now with 5 sets (plus Canyons), and not seeing more than half the tiles in each set most times.

And it is definitely a forgiveable cost to not have to either pre-sort, or search for mid-game, one tile of the 40 or so uniques (46 if you include the Mission Packs). Or to have to rebuild the Map Deck each game. But it wasn't that that was the driving factor for this idea. It was searching for a tile that literally wasn't in the box.

Granted, at the time, we only had three otherworlds, but on at least three separate occasions, we were looking for a maptile. And spent a dumb amount of time looking for it. Only to realize that we couldn't find it because the characters were standing on the reverse side of it (moving from the Mine to an OW or in one case, the reverse), and it took us right out of the game that we were dicking around so long. The solution we used, completely removed that issue.

So... with the issue of time constraints causing concern, you could say, Dormammu, we came to a bargain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morgan Vening wrote:
Some are obvious from the fact that the reverse is also a card for a specific world. Succubus and Cynder. Lost Army and Jargano. Black Fang and Blasted Wastes.

Except, of course, the Black Fang tile is Blasted Wastes/Mines and the Blasted Wastes otherworld has Canyons on the back of every tile...

I put the Cynder and Jargono tiles in their respective Otherworlds and the Mine cards in their worlds’ specific decks. I left the other three in my Mission Pack storage. I figured that if you treat every Otherworld (except BW) as a Mine to choose from, as you suggest, there are five choices and thus plenty of variety already. I’m not up for trying to remember where the Crimson Hand throne room is when I’m ready to fight them in three years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morgan Vening wrote:
And it is definitely a forgiveable cost to not have to either pre-sort, or search for mid-game, one tile of the 40 or so uniques (46 if you include the Mission Packs).

You can easily solve this issue by marking the front of each unique map room card with with a sharpie. Just put a small two letter code in each corner (eg, TA for Targa, CY for Cynder, etc) indicating which set it’s from, and you can keep the map tiles sorted as before.

I can see the benefit of either way, but I do prefer the extra variety, small though it may seem to you.

Quote:
Or to have to rebuild the Map Deck each game.

This I can’t take seriously as an issue. It’s literally a 20 second task.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. T.
Germany
Ahnatal
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
You can easily solve this issue by marking the front of each unique map room card with with a sharpie. Just put a small two letter code in each corner (eg, TA for Targa, CY for Cynder, etc) indicating which set it’s from, and you can keep the map tiles sorted as before.

I noticed, that each Other World (except Targa and Swamps) already has a specific icon on the map cards.
So i only had to put a circle from a paper punch into the Targa map card sleeves.

Cynder has a skull shaped icon with CC beneath
Trederra has a Lightning with TR beneath
Derelict Ship has a hex shaped icon with solar systems and a DS beneath

I gues BW has something similar. Now i only have to seach the tile in my OW box and this takes me only 10-15 seconds.

I also prefer to have the whole set of map tiles available when in the mines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. C.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asked above about the Treddera set. "Does it come with a full mine passage set or are they absent as per the D/ship?"

Anyone willing to help with a simple yes/no answer?

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A yes/no answer does not fit to your question.
But your wish is my command: Yes! devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Vening
Australia
flag msg tools
Mordrian wrote:
A yes/no answer does not fit to your question.
But your wish is my command: Yes! devil

To fully answer B.C.'s question, the answer is both. Yes, they come with a full mine passage set. No, they are not absent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Now you have ruined my day yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. C.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thank you gentlemen, for both answering my poorly framed question modest and giving it the humorously Irreverent treatment it disserved. cool

Gave me a smile at the end of a long day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I like the idea and having just gotten my wave 2 stuff, I'm still in the process of trying to condense everything down as much as possible and just make it easier to get things out. It's not too bad if I'm at home to play, but if I try to take anything over to a friend's house to play it feels like I'm going on an international flight and lugging around a shit ton of luggage. I just want the game organized into distinct modules that I can pull from to cut down on what I'd have to bring or what I'd need to search through and to arrange things into semi-logical sets. Here's a rough idea of how I'm breaking it up:

• Each Otherworld (Tiles, Enemies, Card decks)
• Bandit/Undead Bandit/Outlaw enemies
• Void enemies
• Canyon/Indian/Beast enemies
• *Interdimensional enemies (Trederran Raiders, Harvesters, Flesh Stalkers, Trun Hunters)
• *Mission packs (Crimson Hand, Vampires, Werewolves)

So each Mission would get a Primary Otherworld and a Secondary enemy set. Interdimensional enemies can happen across multiple Otherworlds while the Mission Pack set would be Mine specific (the other Mission packs are in their respective Otherworlds). Haven't worked out the details, but I'm hoping to create a Mission generator that automatically throws a bunch of variables together to establish what Otherworld, Enemies, Mission, Adventure card (if applicable) go into the session. It'd probably just be an excel spreadsheet or something though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.