Popular Tags: [View All]
Steffen Beck
Germany
Passau
flag msg tools
designer
mb

A beginning is a very delicate time...

The first moment I wrapped my head around Mark Simonitch's “The U.S. Civil War” I could see its mechanics being implemented in a Dune-based game: two uneven factions locked in an uneven battle of attrition. Even though “Dune: Struggle for Arrakis” takes its core mechanics from this great game, which in turn is based on the VG classic “The Civil War” by Eric Lee Smith, I believe that enough was left out and added, that it warrants its own entry (instead of just being a simple variant). Some of the main additions are that the players are able to change the terrain mid-game through advanced nuclear weapons, a simplified ruleset, the absolute limit on counters and the resource management that comes along with it, the severe effect of storms, spice harvesting and of course...worms.

Obviously I have taken some liberties with Herbert's work for game-purposes, mainly in the placement of sietches and more importantly in the player's use of nuclear weapons which some aficionados might take serious offense to; atomics were rarely used as they were a no-go under the Great Convention treaty. The mechanic was born out of necessity because Paul Atreides used them to blow the Shield Wall in his storm of Arrakeen and the idea of a war game with changing terrain was intriguing. I didn't want only one player to have that fun though. A thematic reasoning for my sake is that the Fremen where politically irrelevant and practically unknown while House Harkonnen where infamous for their ruthless tactics, as the violent change in terrain also represents the users tactical advantage in this new high-radioactive environment.

The Harkonnens will experience “Dune: Struggle for Arrakis” as a game of cat and mouse, chasing the Atreides' leaders while maintaining proper garrisoned cities, whereas the Atreides player has to balance their strategy in hitting spice blows with many small forces while at some point mustering a force large enough to take one of Arrakis' cities. The game is unforgiving, forcing the players to be aggressive and go for the jugular early. Some might find its somewhat abstract and chess-like nature predictable, but I believe that the cutthroat gameplay is fun and the action cards throw enough curveballs into the mix. Playtesting has been limited to myself and a couple of friends, so I am certainly looking forward for future input and suggestions. A current point of concern is that in the late-game stages the Harkonnen's have few forces to activate leaving them dumping their action points into spice refinement, but I suppose this regression is a “historical” depiction of the conflict.

Either way, thanks for reading this. I hope the game will see table-time somewhere and that some will find enjoyment with it.

Steffen

____

All files needed to play the game can be found here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yn8ftmu2pg3oc1v/AAAmJgMc127abiEx6...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Moore
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure where the best place to put this info would be right now, so I'll put it here.

I was just scanning the rules, starting to plan how to print and play, and I noticed that on page 8, under 9.1 Atreides setup--specifically 9.1.1, is the word "siege". I'm guessing that is supposed to be "sietch"?

tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Beck
Germany
Passau
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Yes a weird misspelling on my part that spellcheck didn't catch (obviously). Thanks!

Windmilling wrote:
Not sure where the best place to put this info would be right now, so I'll put it here.

it's probably best kept as a comment in the files section-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Moore
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True. didn't know the files were up when I downloaded these.

tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Beck
Germany
Passau
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Windmilling wrote:
I was just scanning the rules, starting to plan how to print and play,...

If you have any questions feel free to ask here or Geekmail me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
United States
Palatine
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sugadaddy wrote:
Windmilling wrote:
I was just scanning the rules, starting to plan how to print and play,...

If you have any questions feel free to ask here or Geekmail me.

Thanks for your efforts and making this freely available. I do some PNP. It looks interesting.

I'll say it if someone else hasn't already: who's going to develop the COIN version of the Arrakis insurgency? Harkonnen, Corrino, Atreides, and Fremen factions... the event cards would provide more than enough opportunity to incorporate the influence of the Spacing Guild, Bene Gesserit, Bene Tleilax, Ix, Landsraad, smugglers, and other thematic factors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bardy
United Kingdom
York
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb

I was wondering where I can get a copy of the board for this game, and how big it needs to be in order to play the game? A4 or A3 seems too small? Any recommendations for board printing would be appreciated.

Incidentally, the rules and graphics/art look amazing. Well done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Beck
Germany
Passau
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Thank you very much.

mangozine wrote:
I was wondering where I can get a copy of the board for this game, and how big it needs to be in order to play the game? A4 or A3 seems too small?

The board should be printed at size, otherwise the counters will not fit onto the spaces.

mangozine wrote:
Any recommendations for board printing would be appreciated.

If you look into the "_print_World"-folder you will see a din-a1 version of the board, which can be printed out at most copy shops. If you want to print it out at home you will need 8 din-a3 pages, the files for which are in the "_board_din-a3_pieces"-folder. You will then need to cut out and paste the individual pieces together.

The counters and cards can be printed on regular din-a4 pages. The jpeg version of the cards in the "_cards-standard-eu"-folder are included if someone wants to have them professionally printed. The cards can be sleeved with European Standard sized sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bardy
United Kingdom
York
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb

Thanks, just clicked that it says A1 on the board file/description -- that makes more sense now.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.