Subject: Finding the holder of a licence. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Albers
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everybody,

I didn't know where to put this but I hope this forum is ok.

I was just reminded of a game that was published 30-ish years ago and I would love to see it make a comeback. Problem is I can't find any contact on most of it designers, the one I found does not reply and the publisher is long since gone.

How can I find out who holds the rights to the licence? Is there any chance of "republishing" a game with a specific Intellectual Property when there is no rights holder?

I deliberately didn't mention the game in question since I already got some "I heard that" answers and I really need hard facts, not rumours if possible. If there is no way to find it somewhere I will give further details.

Please help me boardgamegeek-kenobi! You are my only chance! ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Without details, this is a pretty pointless post.

If its a sports game, location based, the sun maid raisins, a branded game or a Disney property, or whatever else, how to find the answer will be vastly different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
You could republish the game and see who, if anybody, sues you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Albers
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as I had feared. The game in Question is "Full Metal Planete"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Esbech
Denmark
Odense M
Danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SunDancer wrote:
as I had feared. The game in Question is "Full Metal Planete"

It seems to have been reimplemented twice. The latest being TF22 from 2011, my work blocks the TF22 website, so you'll have to look that up for yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
From reading on various French language forums, the "Full Metal Planete" designer doesn't really care anymore, and the German guy who "re-implemented" it (outright copied and stole it, is much more likely) used some loophole in German laws to do so. He (the German guy) has actually had eBay remove auctions for old used games people were selling, under the grounds that he owned ALL the rights to the game. He also tried to extort fees from folks who had sold used games, under the guise that they were somehow illegally selling things they owned, that he had never had a hand in.

Your aim to do something with it now would therefore seem to be destined to garner his interest (in a negative way).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there's one sure way of finding out...

Pete (wouldn't recommend it though)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Albers
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tf22.de is defunc and for sale... so there seems noone to have any rights to it... or care about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the first step should be to contact the designers.
As long as there is no other running contract, which is verry unlikely if the game was not sold for such a long time, they are the ones who can license the game to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
To the moon
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember correctly, there were multiple people who held the license together, who now want nothing to do with each other.

Kind of a “if he says yes, then I say no,” situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Markus Hagenauer wrote:
I think the first step should be to contact the designers.
As long as there is no other running contract, which is verry unlikely if the game was not sold for such a long time, they are the ones who can license the game to you.

He tried that, sheesh....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Birkett
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that as others have stated the rights holders are likely the designers. If you try to make it without their permission than you'll be setting yourself up for law suits.

They might not care and let it be. However, if that is the case in likelihood it would be because the game didn't sell enough copies for them to justify suing you, which wouldn't be all that great for you.

If the designers aren't responding than you might be able to make a similar game without the same branding. That would be perfectly legal and would provide a similar outcome for you other than needing new artwork, a name and some game design.

You've done all the correct things thus far so now it is out of your hands IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lowrey
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based upon the description above, this sounds like an “orphaned work” — something that’s still in copyright, but the rights holders can’t be found.

Such a situation is a recognized problem around much of the world and there are laws to address it. I don’t know what the EU’s rules on orphaned works are and how they would apply to a board game but that would seem to be the next logical thing to research.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.