Vietnam
Ho Chi Minh
flag msg tools
Don't you agree with this title ?
badge
Hey ! Stop touching my flawless face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Geeks,

I have a scenario that needs some clarifications.

- Will PDSs fire at Saar's space dock when it moves alone (or carries some infantries) into the active system ?

- Can Saar's Space dock take damage during a space combat ?

I'm sorry if this question was asked before.

Thank you very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
The Gaming Annex in Muskegon
badge
The Muskegon Area Gamers
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Space docks cannot have hits applied to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure it's that cut and dry. The appropriate text from the unit is:

"This unit can move and retreat as if it were a ship."

Space Cannon Offense is triggered during the Movement Step, so it is arguable that it should be considered a ship for all purposes within this step.

The timing is also specifically after the Move Ships substep of the Movement Step so it is arguably not still a ship during Space Cannon Offense.

Do we have an official ruling on this one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
The Muskegon Area Gamers
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m 100% certain the ruling is what I stated. The alternative is that you can apply hits to Saar space docks during PDS fire but not during combat. And that’s definitely not the intent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
66.5 STEP 2 — The active player must choose and destroy one of his ships in the active system for each hit result produced (by space cannon fire -Padish) against his units.

"This unit can move and retreat as if it were a ship" does not mean that it counts as a ship at other times. So it cannot be chosen to be destroyed because of space cannon fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
I'm not sure it's that cut and dry. The appropriate text from the unit is:

"This unit can move and retreat as if it were a ship."

Space Cannon Offense is triggered during the Movement Step, so it is arguable that it should be considered a ship for all purposes within this step.

The timing is also specifically after the Move Ships substep of the Movement Step so it is arguably not still a ship during Space Cannon Offense.

Do we have an official ruling on this one?

If that were the case, then the unit would say so. "This unit can move and retreat and be assigned hits as if it were a ship." Or possibly "During the movement step, treat this unit as a ship for all purposes."

But it doesn't say that; it says exactly what it means.

A good rule of thumb to follow for any board game with modular rules - a new effect only breaks as many rules as it needs to make the effect work, and no more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it triggers PDS fire when moved (treated as a ship when moving), but PDS cannot assign hits to it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
So it would seem. But unless you had other units with it, triggering PDS fire is meaningless, and if they do have units, those would trigger it anyway.

But if Joe wants to roll PDS dice to fire at nothing in this rare scenario, I say let him. Pew pew!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Libero03 wrote:
So it triggers PDS fire when moved (treated as a ship when moving), but PDS cannot assign hits to it?

PDS fire happens in (or with deep space cannon, into) activated system even if no ships/space docks move. It's part of a tactical action. It's just not useful unless the active player had already ships present in the activated system.

If you activate a system that has one of your cruisers, and move your Saar dock there, eligible enemy PDS's can fire and assign hits to the Cruiser. This would be true also if you did not move your space dock there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... now when I think about it PDS fire is not triggered by move itself. It is just a step of a tactical action, so activating a system causes PDS fire. Is it correct?

EDIT: you were faster cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
The Muskegon Area Gamers
mbmbmbmbmb
Libero03 wrote:
Hmm... now when I think about it PDS fire is not triggered by move itself. It is just a step of a tactical action, so activating a system causes PDS fire. Is it correct?

Yes.

For example, you could have some ships in a system. I activate the system. I move no ships. Then my PDS’s fire, destroying some of your ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Hmm... this is going to cause some weird shenanigans. I understand the ruling, and makes total sense when Saar spacedocks were able to move and not produce in the same action, but from what I understand now they can move/produce at will.

So: Saar activates a system next to opponent pds, moves lone spacedock into system triggering pds fire. No ship are present so no hits are taken. Then Saar finishes action by bulding a fleet in the system.

Yikes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Shunta
United States
Norton Shores
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowecore wrote:
Hmm... this is going to cause some weird shenanigans. I understand the ruling, and makes total sense when Saar spacedocks were able to move and not produce in the same action, but from what I understand now they can move/produce at will.

So: Saar activates a system next to opponent pds, moves lone spacedock into system triggering pds fire. No ship are present so no hits are taken. Then Saar finishes action by bulding a fleet in the system.

Yikes!

I don't think this this qualifies as shenanigans, it's just Saar being Saar. These type of deep interactions that emerge out of straightforward mechanical combinations are a big part of what make the racial abilities in TI terrific.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimb0v wrote:
I don't think this this qualifies as shenanigans, it's just Saar being Saar. These type of deep interactions that emerge out of straightforward mechanical combinations are a big part of what make the racial abilities in TI terrific.

+1 for this. Try fighting the Arborec sometime where their ground troops have production 1. Arborec invades a system with a mess of ground troops then as the last step gets to produce new units using its damned invaders, re-growing whatever it lost in the fight.

You need some interstellar Roundup in games with those leafy bastards.

Or the Ghosts where their flagship generates a delta-wormhole. Get three upgraded PDSs on their homeworld and tour the universe, moving your flagship into a system and then blast away with your deep space cannons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelvonar wrote:
Jimb0v wrote:

+1 for this. Try fighting the Arborec sometime where their ground troops have production 1. Arborec invades a system with a mess of ground troops then as the last step gets to produce new units using its damned invaders, re-growing whatever it lost in the fight.

You need some interstellar Roundup in games with those leafy bastards.

X-89 Bacterial Weapon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Stroom
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Or your space dock moves into a system, carrying only ground forces. The system has enemy PDS in range and some planets as well. PDS fire can not hit anything in space so you can land on the planets. Only GFs can get hit. So if a planet has 1 PDS on it, you land with 2 GFs and are guaranteed to take the planet. And after all that it is safe to build a fleet in space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Sande24 wrote:
Or your space dock moves into a system, carrying only ground forces. The system has enemy PDS in range and some planets as well. PDS fire can not hit anything in space so you can land on the planets. Only GFs can get hit. So if a planet has 1 PDS on it, you land with 2 GFs and are guaranteed to take the planet. And after all that it is safe to build a fleet in space.

SD’s have carrying cap now?

I really need to read the rules to ti4!

Actually Arborec ability does sound overwealming. If you can move, battle, and build with their GF’s all with 1 activation they must spread very quickly and be difficult to route out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowecore wrote:
SD’s have carrying cap now?

I really need to read the rules to ti4!

Actually Arborec ability does sound overwealming. If you can move, battle, and build with their GF’s all with 1 activation they must spread very quickly and be difficult to route out.

Only the Saar space dock has capacity. Everyone else gets the normal space dock, which just has something like "up to 3 fighters in this system do not require capacity."

Arborec can be pretty nuts. If the table is relatively passive towards them, they can get out of control really quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Nguyen
Vietnam
Ho Chi Minh
flag msg tools
Don't you agree with this title ?
badge
Hey ! Stop touching my flawless face.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is very helpful.

Thank you everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the general consensus on this turns out to be incorrect.

A ruling has been made that the Saar Space Dock can be fired upon by PDS only if it moves. In other words, if you decide to move it, the unit is treated as a ship for all purposes, including assigning hits during Space Cannon Offense.

The official ruling can be seen in question 5 of this response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
The Muskegon Area Gamers
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this ruling mean Graviton Laser affects Saar space dock?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
The Muskegon Area Gamers
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Saar space docks count as ships for movement and (now) as targets of PDS’s, do they count as ships for fleet supply?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
The Muskegon Area Gamers
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Saar space docks can be targeted by PDS’s when they move, you cannot qualify for Turn Their Fleets to Dust unless your space cannons destroy the space docks. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
halbower wrote:
Does this ruling mean Graviton Laser affects Saar space dock?

In that you must target the Space Dock rather than the Fighters it brings along? Yes. I believe the Fighters should probably survive into the Space Combat, although I need to do a bit more research to be sure.

halbower wrote:
Since Saar space docks count as ships for movement and (now) as targets of PDS’s, do they count as ships for fleet supply?

Given the ruling, I'd have to say yes, but only if they move. Stationary ones would not count towards the fleet supply.

halbower wrote:
Since Saar space docks can be targeted by PDS’s when they move, you cannot qualify for Turn Their Fleets to Dust unless your space cannons destroy the space docks. Is this correct?

That seems right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
The Muskegon Area Gamers
mbmbmbmbmb
Having the Saar count their moving space docks against their fleet supply is going to be weird. It may open an unwanted can of worms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.