Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

Lords of Hellas» Forums » General

Subject: Any reviews? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jase Pham
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I know some people got their LoH games and others are getting it pretty soon. Please write down your reviews when you play them!!! There are so many paid reviews out there that I need some REAL experience here before backing!

Thanks!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
The goal is to win; but we play to have fun - Me <-- I said that.
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stoheaven wrote:
I know some people got their LoH games and others are getting it pretty soon. Please write down your reviews when you play them!!! There are so many paid reviews out there that I need some REAL experience here before backing!

Thanks!


Yes please!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Peacock
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stoheaven wrote:
I know some people got their LoH games and others are getting it pretty soon. Please write down your reviews when you play them!!! There are so many paid reviews out there that I need some REAL experience here before backing!

Thanks!


I fully plan on doing a Video Review for the Dice Tower when I get my copy.

11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
The goal is to win; but we play to have fun - Me <-- I said that.
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've already ordered mine, so good or bad I guess I will own it soon enough. Single Wave shipping though so maybe April.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaganishu Khan
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Got my core box + 2 nice little surprise gifts today. Maybe I can squeeze in a first play tomorrow and write some impressions. Due to christmas, it ll be a while until I am home again and can actually play enough for a real review
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jase Pham
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Looking forward to it!!! Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My thoughts after several plays
Gaming like it's 2014 and 2018. Playing games we haven't in a long time, and a prototype of Lords of Hellas.

After some more plays we felt the map was a bit too big at 3p.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jase Pham
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
SeerMagic wrote:
My thoughts after several plays
Gaming like it's 2014 and 2018. Playing games we haven't in a long time, and a prototype of Lords of Hellas.

After some more plays we felt the map was a bit too big at 3p.


Awesome review! Is there any changes to the prototype you played VS what is coming out now? Because I think they changed some things around due to the backers ideas but not sure. Have you played the fully released version yet?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stoheaven wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
My thoughts after several plays
Gaming like it's 2014 and 2018. Playing games we haven't in a long time, and a prototype of Lords of Hellas.

After some more plays we felt the map was a bit too big at 3p.


Awesome review! Is there any changes to the prototype you played VS what is coming out now? Because I think they changed some things around due to the backers ideas but not sure. Have you played the fully released version yet?


Yeah they improved the monsters, which I talked to them about on KS. We are really happy they are making them more unique with more powers.

I have not played the release version.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jase Pham
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
SeerMagic wrote:
Stoheaven wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
My thoughts after several plays
Gaming like it's 2014 and 2018. Playing games we haven't in a long time, and a prototype of Lords of Hellas.

After some more plays we felt the map was a bit too big at 3p.


Awesome review! Is there any changes to the prototype you played VS what is coming out now? Because I think they changed some things around due to the backers ideas but not sure. Have you played the fully released version yet?


Yeah they improved the monsters, which I talked to them about on KS. We are really happy they are making them more unique with more powers.

I have not played the release version.



I heard some worries were that, there were TOO many ways to win and in that way- it would become a "do whatever you want" type of game where the players can just kinda work towards different things and it would be hard to try to stop everyone, meaning one person would kinda shoot ahead or just become the winner (kinda secretly) towards the end. Did you feel that way with the game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stoheaven wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
Stoheaven wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
My thoughts after several plays
Gaming like it's 2014 and 2018. Playing games we haven't in a long time, and a prototype of Lords of Hellas.

After some more plays we felt the map was a bit too big at 3p.


Awesome review! Is there any changes to the prototype you played VS what is coming out now? Because I think they changed some things around due to the backers ideas but not sure. Have you played the fully released version yet?


Yeah they improved the monsters, which I talked to them about on KS. We are really happy they are making them more unique with more powers.

I have not played the release version.



I heard some worries were that, there were TOO many ways to win and in that way- it would become a "do whatever you want" type of game where the players can just kinda work towards different things and it would be hard to try to stop everyone, meaning one person would kinda shoot ahead or just become the winner (kinda secretly) towards the end. Did you feel that way with the game?


We felt that way about the 3 monster kills. As there wasn't anything we could do to stop them other than kill monsters ourselves. I have no idea if they addressed this. The other win conditions were fine.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
DOES NOT COMPUTE ||| EXTERMINATE ||| EXTERMINAAAAAATE
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
Stoheaven wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
Stoheaven wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
My thoughts after several plays
Gaming like it's 2014 and 2018. Playing games we haven't in a long time, and a prototype of Lords of Hellas.

After some more plays we felt the map was a bit too big at 3p.


Awesome review! Is there any changes to the prototype you played VS what is coming out now? Because I think they changed some things around due to the backers ideas but not sure. Have you played the fully released version yet?


Yeah they improved the monsters, which I talked to them about on KS. We are really happy they are making them more unique with more powers.

I have not played the release version.



I heard some worries were that, there were TOO many ways to win and in that way- it would become a "do whatever you want" type of game where the players can just kinda work towards different things and it would be hard to try to stop everyone, meaning one person would kinda shoot ahead or just become the winner (kinda secretly) towards the end. Did you feel that way with the game?


We felt that way about the 3 monster kills. As there wasn't anything we could do to stop them other than kill monsters ourselves. I have no idea if they addressed this. The other win conditions were fine.


The monster kills can be slowed a couple of ways - there are abilities and artifacts that move monsters around, for example. But more effective imo is attacking the monster hunter player, since you can't hold many combat cards, he'll be forced to either surrender territory by not opposing battles or use the cards and be unprepared for hunting. And since you can hunt once per every monument build (so maybe every 4 turns on average), even a STR5 hero will have difficulty taking monsters down quickly and efficiently. A lone hero can run around the map and hunt, yes, but he'll be starved for resources enough that another player should win by some other way sooner.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Borghal wrote:
The monster kills can be slowed a couple of ways - there are abilities and artifacts that move monsters around, for example. But more effective imo is attacking the monster hunter player, since you can't hold many combat cards, he'll be forced to either surrender territory by not opposing battles or use the cards and be unprepared for hunting. And since you can hunt once per every monument build (so maybe every 4 turns on average), even a STR5 hero will have difficulty taking monsters down quickly and efficiently. A lone hero can run around the map and hunt, yes, but he'll be starved for resources enough that another player should win by some other way sooner.


That's the problem we had in one game. Once a player got stuff and leveled for hunting. He would just let us take out anywhere on the map, as he didn't need the spots. Despite trying to move the monsters away, he still won with 3 of us trying to stop him.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
DOES NOT COMPUTE ||| EXTERMINATE ||| EXTERMINAAAAAATE
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
Borghal wrote:
The monster kills can be slowed a couple of ways - there are abilities and artifacts that move monsters around, for example. But more effective imo is attacking the monster hunter player, since you can't hold many combat cards, he'll be forced to either surrender territory by not opposing battles or use the cards and be unprepared for hunting. And since you can hunt once per every monument build (so maybe every 4 turns on average), even a STR5 hero will have difficulty taking monsters down quickly and efficiently. A lone hero can run around the map and hunt, yes, but he'll be starved for resources enough that another player should win by some other way sooner.


That's the problem we had in one game. Once a player got stuff and leveled for hunting. He would just let us take out anywhere on the map, as he didn't need the spots. Despite trying to move the monsters away, he still won with 3 of us trying to stop him.


Then I suppose kudos to him for making it before one of you won on the territory front. It's not something you can STOP, you can only do so much to a hunting player, just as you can only do so much to someone who builds up a monument and prepares to control it. You can hinder them, but at the same time must strive to win faster. With one player basically a non-factor, on person getting 5 temples or 2 lands should not have been too hard, especially in a 4p game where the blue land counts for victory. In the one game that I have played, all 4 victory conditions were within 2 turns of each other.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jase Pham
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Borghal wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
Borghal wrote:
The monster kills can be slowed a couple of ways - there are abilities and artifacts that move monsters around, for example. But more effective imo is attacking the monster hunter player, since you can't hold many combat cards, he'll be forced to either surrender territory by not opposing battles or use the cards and be unprepared for hunting. And since you can hunt once per every monument build (so maybe every 4 turns on average), even a STR5 hero will have difficulty taking monsters down quickly and efficiently. A lone hero can run around the map and hunt, yes, but he'll be starved for resources enough that another player should win by some other way sooner.


That's the problem we had in one game. Once a player got stuff and leveled for hunting. He would just let us take out anywhere on the map, as he didn't need the spots. Despite trying to move the monsters away, he still won with 3 of us trying to stop him.


Then I suppose kudos to him for making it before one of you won on the territory front. It's not something you can STOP, you can only do so much to a hunting player, just as you can only do so much to someone who builds up a monument and prepares to control it. You can hinder them, but at the same time must strive to win faster. With one player basically a non-factor, on person getting 5 temples or 2 lands should not have been too hard, especially in a 4p game where the blue land counts for victory. In the one game that I have played, all 4 victory conditions were within 2 turns of each other.


That was one of the problem that I was worried about indeed, it becomes more of a "race" where everyone does their own thing - rather than something that has more of a "competitive" factor in where there's more player interaction. I mean you CAN, but then the other 1-2 people will just fly ahead and win.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a review, but very disappointed in the large statue minis. Enormous gaps on a couple of them and almost none of them have seams that fit together perfectly. You also need to glue them as they come apart really easily (most are in several pieces). I was hoping they'd at least be up to Cthulhu Wars quality, but they aren't really.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Peacock
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Not a review, but very disappointed in the large statue minis. Enormous gaps on a couple of them and almost none of them have seams that fit together perfectly. You also need to glue them as they come apart really easily (most are in several pieces). I was hoping they'd at least be up to Cthulhu Wars quality, but they aren't really.


You're not talking about the monuments are you? You don't want to glue those!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JaspeLoedm wrote:
charlest wrote:
Not a review, but very disappointed in the large statue minis. Enormous gaps on a couple of them and almost none of them have seams that fit together perfectly. You also need to glue them as they come apart really easily (most are in several pieces). I was hoping they'd at least be up to Cthulhu Wars quality, but they aren't really.


You're not talking about the monuments are you? You don't want to glue those!


Whoah, how embarrassing. Thanks for the warning!

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stavros tsiakalos
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, the whole point of the monuments is that they get built during play
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
DOES NOT COMPUTE ||| EXTERMINATE ||| EXTERMINAAAAAATE
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
JaspeLoedm wrote:
charlest wrote:
Not a review, but very disappointed in the large statue minis. Enormous gaps on a couple of them and almost none of them have seams that fit together perfectly. You also need to glue them as they come apart really easily (most are in several pieces). I was hoping they'd at least be up to Cthulhu Wars quality, but they aren't really.


You're not talking about the monuments are you? You don't want to glue those!


Whoah, how embarrassing. Thanks for the warning!


I think that because of them being assembled ans disassembled every game, some looseness in the fit is tolerated, useful even, but as I'v also said and posted pictures in my fist impressions post, for some of the monuments it goes too far.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Grogan
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be posting my review shortly after the holidays. Im also working on a rules video using the final published rules book (not prototype) where you can see and hear everything being done.

Initially, I like the game. A lot of moving parts and 4 ways to win, you have to be aware of what other players are doing besides yourself lest they sneak up on you and reach one of the victory conditions.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Grogan
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Not a review, but very disappointed in the large statue minis. Enormous gaps on a couple of them and almost none of them have seams that fit together perfectly. You also need to glue them as they come apart really easily (most are in several pieces). I was hoping they'd at least be up to Cthulhu Wars quality, but they aren't really.


PLEASE don't tell us that you glued those together. :O
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Bieberbach
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
JaspeLoedm wrote:
charlest wrote:
Not a review, but very disappointed in the large statue minis. Enormous gaps on a couple of them and almost none of them have seams that fit together perfectly. You also need to glue them as they come apart really easily (most are in several pieces). I was hoping they'd at least be up to Cthulhu Wars quality, but they aren't really.


You're not talking about the monuments are you? You don't want to glue those!


Whoah, how embarrassing. Thanks for the warning!



LOL, you should have played it off like it was a joke. That actually would have been pretty funny!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan A.Y.
United States
flag msg tools
mb
About the gaps, anyone thought of magnetizing them?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stavros tsiakalos
msg tools
mbmbmb
There is no real need?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.