Shawn T
United States
Medford
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Always!
mbmbmbmbmb
I love playing this game, and I appreciate the challenge level. That said, Slaadi Plague is completely brutal. devil I'm hoping fellow gamers can hop in here and share experiences, tactics, load-outs that might help, etc. Also, it would be neat to hear whether....

Spoiler (click to reveal)
... you simply took the Rakshasha's offer and moved on! (I can't bring myself to. It can't be good! soblue)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sgt Fiddler
msg tools
No luck yet. It really is brutal, but i’m still loving it. I can pretty consistently get to Scene 3, but by that time the Dragonfire level is already at 4, which means we’re knee-deep in Slaad. Thinking of finally doing my Dungeon Crawl Lv 3 to get some more uncommon items to help turn the tide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn T
United States
Medford
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Always!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I die in scene 3 or at the end of 2, typically.surprise

SgtFiddler wrote:
I can pretty consistently get to Scene 3, but by that time the Dragonfire level is already at 4....

At what DF level are you starting Scene 1? If you get to DF level 4 by Scene 3, it sounds like you're doing really well, given that you're probably starting with 1 or 2 DF levels from the start, right? (Or am I using level adjustments wrong?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thorsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I beat it last night! It was by far the longest and most tense game of Dragonfire so far. I played solo with four characters at 60XP. By the end of the game I had bought most of the market deck. Game winners were wild shape, a stunned bard, encore, tower shield and fireball. By the end of the game I think the DF level was at 10 or 11.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
majkmajk majkmajk
msg tools
Cybarite wrote:
I beat it last night! It was by far the longest and most tense game of Dragonfire so far. I played solo with four characters at 60XP. By the end of the game I had bought most of the market deck. Game winners were wild shape, a stunned bard, encore, tower shield and fireball. By the end of the game I think the DF level was at 10 or 11.

Seconding Wild Shape and Tower shield. Overall great cards when you have numerous enemies and just need more time to apply damage.

Hunters Mark and Hex worked great here for my group (ranger, lock, druid and bard)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have beaten the Plague two times with two sets of characters.

Remember, if you draw from the special deck, you draw a card from your own deck.
You're going to be drawing a lot.
You want good cards to come up frequently.
You have to buy good cards.
You have to figure out ways to force yourself to draw and discard cards.
Some market cards help with this.
Some features help with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn T
United States
Medford
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Always!
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you change your purchasing frequency for this one (so that you’d have faster turnover)?

In general, I suspect I buy too often and end up with lots of handy but not game-changing cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chronicdichotomy wrote:
Did you change your purchasing frequency for this one (so that you’d have faster turnover)?

In general, I suspect I buy too often and end up with lots of handy but not game-changing cards.

To not buy is sometimes wiser than buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Mitchell
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
After only five attempts, my wife and I finally vanquished the Slaadi plague last night! We were so excited, I promised her I would post it on BGG.

We play a two player game. My wife's character is marital, and takes the devotion as her secondary class. Mine is deception, with arcane as the secondary. We were both level 4 (60 xp), with a decent amount of magical items stored up from the campaign (all of which got used.)

It was one of those games where everything happened best case scenario for us. A couple of keys to victory (or lucky breaks) for us were:

1)Fireball (Arcane Card): I was able to purchase this relatively early so it got to use this several times, it even came up once when my wife used command presence. It really was a blessing that happened.

2)Misty-step (Arcane Card): I bought two of these by the end of the game, as the arcane character it was fundamental to maximizing my damage. It allowed me to essentially trade out one damage basic cards for more damaging cards, or trade out for a specific color damage needed. Of course you are still at the mercy of the draw, but with a three card draw the odds are pretty good. One round I drew a misty step off the misty step, giving me free selection from 6 cards.

3)Tower Shield (Martial Card): My wife purchased two of these and used them to their full advantage. Especially in the final moments of the game, when I was unconscious and she had still 4 encounters facing her... that were all 1 damage encounters.

4)Command Presence (Martial Card): This card was good for a minimum 2 additional damage on my wife’s turn, without reducing my hand (like assist abilities do.) This also helped her overcome some hurdles that occurred when she did not have the specific color damage needed to defeat an encounter.

3)Discombobulation (Dragon fire): This card was the first DF card drawn on the 3rd scene. All but one of the encounters failed there check, so we were able to arrange the encounter as we saw best!

4)Fireball (Dragon Fire): This card also came up in the third scene. My character was not going to survive another round, regardless. So playing the martyr, I took the fireball damage, became unconscious and knocked my encounters down to a point where my wife was able to handle them once they moved to her.

5)As always, smart purchases and a bit of luck.

Even though I was unconscious, and wife would not have survived one more round, we still pulled it off. The lesson here is like that developers article says "Never give up!" Miracles do happen in this game, and they happened often it seems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Kessler
United States
California
flag msg tools
I'm with the OP on this. I've played through the full campaign (incl'g Adventure Packs) with two 4-character parties, and gotten up to the Plague with a third, and I find it vastly harder than any other adventure. (Wastes can seem overwhelming until you fully adopt the Caravan of Flaming Oil strategy, but then it's not so bad.)
The only two times I've beaten the Plague (in at least nine tries), I had really good Dragonfire luck (timely Fireball, buryable Dangerous Waters, etc.) but one additional, more important piece of luck that's so game-changing for this Adventure that I feel that I haven't truly beaten it at all--to wit, in both successes, one of my initial Level 1 encounters was the Minotaur ("VANQUISHED: May choose any other non-Location encounter and discard it"). This let me pluck Slaadi from the Slaad-Discard Treadmill of Doom (since only "defeated" encounters go in the Slaad Discard, not "discarded" encounters), and thus win by defeating 6 fewer Slaad than is usually required.
I used the Minotaur to toss the Blue Slaad in Round 1 (given its double-blue levels and average damage dealt of 3.5/round), and thus never had to defeat it, the Green Slaad in Round 2 (given its summoning of yet more encounters at DF5+), and the Death Slaad in Round 3. So instead of the 42+ (non-unique) encounters the Plague normally requires a 4-character party to defeat (assuming at least one Green Slaad summons), I "only" had to defeat 35 (and 6 of those ducked were among the toughest).
Sorry, though; I realize that "draw the Minotaur in the first round" isn't a very helpful strategic tip. (I agree with the points made above re high-damage cards and cycling/recursion, and Wild Shape, and would add the somewhat-similar Warlock feature Beguiling Defenses, and the luck-dependent approach of praying for a first-round Cloud of Daggers to close the Planar Portal.)
I'm curious, though--have folks beaten the Plague without the Minotaur? Intellectually, I'm sure it's happened, but emotionally, I can't imagine it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kindt Dalzen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We beat the Slaadi Plague in our 2 player campaign a few weeks ago. We had several failed attempts before we cracked it and were sitting at 93 XP after we successfully completed it.

Our duo is a Devotion Halfling Ranger with a Beastmaster [20 XP] / Ranger’s Companion II [50 XP] / build and a Deception Half Elf Wizard with a Conjuration (Savant)[25 XP] / Focused Conjuration [50XP] build at the time we successfully completed the adventure.

We don’t overwrite our Features before adventures unless we’ve accumulated enough for the next upgrade. We both follow pretty deliberate advancement paths and our Features have been pretty consistent as we build up to the more powerful combinations.

Conjuration (Savant) gets Cloud of Daggers into my Equipment Pack (as it only costs me 4 gold). That means it’s in my hand early in the game and with Focused Conjuration I can get it back into play with increased frequency. Not to mention buying additional Cloud of Daggers and Misty Steps gets easier.

We also had Fireball and Big Finish hit the Market relatively early, so they got a lot of use. Our Party Leader loves Spirit Guardians, but it didn’t come up early in our winning attempt.

We drew the Minotaur in a couple of our playthroughs and had it in our successful mission, although we did not remove anything from the Slaadi rotation. When we discarded Encounters with the Minotaur, we put them in the Slaad deck as we would any defeated Encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
daskindt wrote:
When we discarded Encounters with the Minotaur, we put them in the Slaad deck discard as we would any defeated Encounter.

We did the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Kessler
United States
California
flag msg tools
Interesting. Did you guys decide that putting the discarded encounters in the Encounter discard pile was contrary to the spirit of the Adventure setup, i.e., a loophole in the text that the designers would've closed if only they'd thought of it? Or did the discarded/defeated distinction just not strike you while you were playing? (Or am I missing some rule that dictates that an encounter discarded by the Minotaur's Vanquish ability has in fact been "defeated" for purposes of effects that care whether something is "defeated"? I'm pretty sure that "discarded" and "defeated" are mutually exclusive, but I've certainly missed things before.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was probably influenced by Shadowrun:Crossfire's "Pandemic" mission, where everything kept coming back like a zombie plague.

I'll reread the Plague and Minotaur when I get back this back on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kindt Dalzen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We honestly didn’t give it any thought. I’d have to study the language on the Adventure Card too.

My instinct is that the Vanquished ability shouldn’t short circuit the specific flow of the Adventure, but it’s certainly possible that the designers meant for the distinction to be significant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Carroll
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did anyone clarify the discarded/defeated ambiguity? We had the same issue with Slaadi Plague when an Invisible Stalker disappeared (was discarded).

Looking at the rulebook, discarding and defeating are separate things:

Quote:
If a Location is defeated, any Class Type markers on
it are moved to the Adventure Environment card at the end of the
Deal Damage phase, and the Location is discarded...

Quote:
At the very end of the Deal Damage phase, all played cards—
as well as defeated encounters—are placed into their respective
discards.

The Slaadi Plague card does specify something has to be defeated to get recycled.

It's all a bit rules-lawyery, of course, but using weird card interactions is sort of the point of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem I'm having is that I have yet to make it to Scene 3 with the DF level below 7. So that's 13 encounters coming out as the scene starts (and I think in my last run it was 18 total, not counting various DF or Green Slaad summons). I had been hit by an ill timed Dangerous Waters, so my characters, although loaded for bear, were all in the 3-4 HP range, and couldn't stand up to the onslaught.

How are you guys coping with the scene starting with 12+ encounters?

My party is at 98 XP, so I've got one more run at this before level 5 (well, 2 if I really choke in Scene 1) when it gets tougher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joshuaaaaaa wrote:
The problem I'm having is that I have yet to make it to Scene 3 with the DF level below 7. So that's 13 encounters coming out as the scene starts (and I think in my last run it was 18 total, not counting various DF or Green Slaad summons). I had been hit by an ill timed Dangerous Waters, so my characters, although loaded for bear, were all in the 3-4 HP range, and couldn't stand up to the onslaught.

How are you guys coping with the scene starting with 12+ encounters?

My party is at 98 XP, so I've got one more run at this before level 5 (well, 2 if I really choke in Scene 1) when it gets tougher.

Okay, party #1 at 98 XP didn't win, but party #2 at 98 XP did win. I have a session report pending review on it. It was lucky and glorious and satisfying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
--- ---
msg tools
We managed to win yesterday.

We had 2 druids (1devotion/martial, 1devotion/deception) wild shaping and abusing druidic and 1 martial/arcane with massive damage (2xdamage on glory cards and 2xdamage on cantrip cards) as well as a warlock with 1 fireball and 2 lighting bolts in her deck.

We had a bit of a luck (big finish and fireball in scene 1).. but I guess a bit of luck is needed for the scenario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.