Subject: For those who want an adventure outside of boardgames. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For someone like me who considers gaming a matter of dreaming away instead of "winning" a game, this of course is a great experience.
I tried a few times a "read through adventure" book before, but this is simply better.

I don't know why exactly. Perhaps it is the lack of dice or the writing, but this FFG Legacy of Dragonholt is indeed better.

The creation of your character is already great with many more skills to choose from. But this gem succeeds in convincing me I actually walk in a world of adventure.

I remember the first few times I logged into World of Warcraft more than a decade ago. I ran from Stormwind to a small village and rested for the night in that Inn. Searching a bed to lay my avatar at rest.

I always liked walking around in that huge world of Azeroth far more than running Raids with screaming kids really. As a Paladin Knight I saw my childhood's dreams in a video game just a few decades after I created a White Knight in Magic Realm... 2 games I will never forget...

Now enters Dragonholt, finally an RPG for solo or co play without (bad) Game Masters...

-----

I guess the competitive euro gamer will not like Dragonholt much. There is no "win" as such, nor is there a competition through planting vegetables or tiles.

The game system though is for those who love RPG's and dream away in their adventure games. It is very straight forward though, no Magic Realm magic...

As such it succeeds where sometimes more traditional board games often fall short: story telling and mood setting.

I can only hope this system will be expanded upon as it could be transferred to Mystery murder solving or HP Lovecraft spooky tales.

Replayability. I think yes there is at least room for 3 adventures through the whole series with complete different characters. And I think that after 3-4 years you could enjoy one or two more rides. Like in the Ambush series.

It certainly helps when you would add a group to an adventure you already ran through and without revealing things, you could have really FUN with repeated plays.

With 10-15hours per box and going to 3 seperate playing sessions over the year, I think you will have 30-40 hours of fun with this box. That's more than an average video game will give you as STORY telling is concerned.

TLDR: Buy it if you wanted a RPG to play solo or with the wife.
Avoid it at all costs if you are a competitive gamer with euro play in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In some ways, this is a great review. I really get a sense of what this game offers, which is rarely mentioned in a review. Most reviews merely focus on the mechanisms, as if that can give some sense as to the feel of a game. However, you seem to have left out entirely what one does while playing the game. How does it accomplish this feel that you say it has?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your review!

You mentioned that players can have three different playing sessions. I was curious on how different these would be if I (for example) play as a Knight, then as a Sage, then as a Bard?

Is there any specific option or quest for a particular class?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review Benny Bos, it's good to get your opinion on this.

I almost dismissed this game when I started to hear that it was too simple or too easy, but then other reviews have been coming in more recently, saying that it tells a great story and pulls you into its world, and people are really enjoying the game, so I have now ordered it.

It sounds like I will really enjoy this game, and it is likely that FFG will follow up with more adventures in this series. I can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Swift
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too dismissed this game but after this and recent reviews I have ordered it and can’t wait for it to arrive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aubrey Mills
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esvath wrote:
Thank you for your review!

You mentioned that players can have three different playing sessions. I was curious on how different these would be if I (for example) play as a Knight, then as a Sage, then as a Bard?

Is there any specific option or quest for a particular class?

You may have as many sessions as you like, though the text must begin to lose its freshness as you encounter the same numbered entries more than once. I took it that the OP said 'at least three' sessions over a given time frame simply as his own estimate of how many times (and how often) he feels he might play before this effect begins to kick in negatively. Even a novel you have read six times, and will read again, benefits from leaving a time gap.

That said, one contributor here mentioned going through the campaign and not experiencing two of the six adventures, so it will be interesting to see how this feature is resolved. How long can you continue to wander around Dragonholt until you strike one of the two pathways you missed?
You are right that one may set out as a Knight, Sage or Bard, but then any combination of race and class is possible, using the options given in the character creation guide. Any back story may be invented. Beyond that one can play solo with multiple characters, or play again with friends or family in a party - and watch them make different choices. Finally, it is not terribly difficult to imagine creating either classes or races from the wealth of literature out there, or from personal creative resources; It's that kind of experience. If it hasn't happened already then fan-created combos of race, class and skills will soon begin to appear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Aubrey. Personal opinion is rather important how many times you can replay a campaign.

I mentioned 3 but also noted I would like one of these to be with a new group that played along with you as part of it.

The strength of this game is with its story/adventure feeling. Not with its replayability. I am very pleased with the end result.

But I confirm 2 important notes: do not buy it if you want a competitive/euro game and your playing group (if not playing solo) is not open to light RPG elements and story telling games.

But that remark can be addressed at games like EH/AH/MoM2 too, only here it is even more apparant as there is no dice rolling whatsoever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Msmith10000 wrote:
A recent positive experience that I had recently with a CYOA is the Call of Cthulhu 7e, Alone Against the Flames, solo adventure. I was just curious if you have had the chance to try that title out, and how you would compare the replay-ability to that game. If you have not tried it out, it is free to download in the PDF format on the Chaosium website.

Thank you for the tip, I will look into it.

I did buy/read/played the first Fabled Lands book though. But compared to Legacy of Dragonholt it was not really great.

I think multiple reasons why Fabled Lands was not convincing to me at least: lesser descriptions, dice that could break the game, death all around you.

With my first character I died after playing 10 minutes in Fabled Lands...

But I will look into your Call of Cthulhu 7e pdf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.