Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcus
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
-Edit
!after 4 attempt my record is 200 points, I will try again, and what your experience? thank you

With veteran players try to introduce the following mandatory requirement:

complete the projects pyramid from the HQ, if not satisfied you lose the game

This variation grow from the curiosity to better understand the words from the manual at page 14
"The top project is available only if all other projects have been completed. It is a high-scoring opportunity, so players who put a lot of work into their headquarters will be rewarded. "

In my gaming experience I was unable to achieve the great reward promised, also when I unlock all the projects from HQ and used all the Gate Runs.
So I need more player that share the same experience to collect more informations about it.

A first requirement for not lagging behind the others is to build at least a couple of active girodynes, but fit al the actions into 8 rounds is not easy.
Let me know, thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Valdez
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the greatest aspects of Pulsar is that you can choose your own strategy to victory, which sometimes actually consists of multiple strategies. Also consider the fact that you have a minimum of 16 dice and a maximum of 24 dice each game.

Having to complete the HQ pyramid not only locks and limits you into a specific strategy that you may or may not want to do (which contrasts previously said great aspect of the game), but also takes away 1/3 to 1/2 your dice to accomplish it (since it takes 8 dice to complete an HQ board). Also keep in mind that this would force you to get very specific dice results just for the sake of completing the pyramid, which may or may not be extremely difficult and restrictive with the dice rolls and dice drafts.

In the end, I think anyone that wants to invest in the HQ tree should be free to do so but only if they want to. The best gate run I've seen netted 25-ish points using that top project using a 6-die with a +2 modifier and a tech that allows + or -1 for green gates, and that excludes any gained points from planets and tech bonuses along the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nayr090 wrote:

In the end, I think anyone that wants to invest in the HQ tree should be free to do so but only if they want to. The best gate run I've seen netted 25-ish points using that top project using a 6-die with a +2 modifier and a tech that allows + or -1 for green gates, and that excludes any gained points from planets and tech bonuses along the way.

What I'm trying to do is different from the standard way to play it, tell me that you do not want to play my variation is pointless.
I'm looking for players that help me to do this research and play at least once with my variation to better understand some aspects of the game.
All the things you say are correct I have already play pulsar 8 times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I didn`t even think to take HQ strategy as serious competitor to others. I must try but really don`t think that is possible to win with that.
25 points from the last piramid action is nothing, really and you spend more or less 1/2 game to achieve it.
I have tried transmitter strategy because it has many advantages.
1. many red dice
2. You are drowning in white cubes (it means that you can forget about race on cube track and take hihger dice)
3. Easy to do...if you have no competitor you always find something matching
4. Very powerful with right technology (I get +4 to every single scoring transmitter)

Result? 203 points and I did not touch HQ and did maybe 1-2 flights, no gyrodynes. 25 points could be achieve it in single turn.
It`s impossible to catch it with HQ strategy imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
detrytus wrote:

you are in the wrong forum, you probably want to talk about strategy here https://bgg.cc/boardgame/228341/pulsar-2849/forums/67

this is a variantion of the base rule, a variation is something that you do for fun or because you want to learn more aspect of the games forcing focus on a single aspect of it.
again tell me that my variation is wrong is pointless, I'm here to listen to players that tried this and report their game experience here.
thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.