Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neal McClatchey
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m getting Scythe for Christmas! (Yay me)

I want to pick my faction for the first game and I want it to be a good one.

What is your favorite faction to play and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my heart goes to Crimea: the flexibility of spending 1 combat card as a wild resource is something that makes me feel relaxed, and the mech ability of stealing a combat card is one my preferred combat tricks.

For a beginner, I think that Rusviet's ability to repeat the same board section in two consecutive rounds may be seen as a relief from a painstaking planning and a cushion from errors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Sombrero
msg tools
mb
Painkeeper wrote:
I think my heart goes to Crimea: the flexibility of spending 1 combat card as a wild resource is something that makes me feel relaxed, and the mech ability of stealing a combat card is one my preferred combat tricks.

For a beginner, I think that Rusviet's ability to repeat the same board section in two consecutive rounds may be seen as a relief from a painstaking planning and a cushion from errors.

Damn - you were first!

Exactly what I wanted to write when I saw the title. the flexibility provided by Crimean faction abilities is so convenient!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Polania because they get to choose two of the rewards on an encounter card and I think the encounters are cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Welch
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Not sure that it's my favorite, but the only one I have won with is the yellow faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you enjoy the combat element of the game, then it's hard to beat the 'black' faction (can't recall their name). The fact that you can get multiple stars by winning combat can be really nice.

I've played Scythe only once....a 5P game and I won with the black faction. I built all my Mech's quick....as my 'build a mech' action was right under my produce action. So I could build a mech every other turn. I got two combat stars early...with small battles.

At any rate, the game came down to me owning the factory (center of the board). The red player attacked me on the factory, he held back a little on his combat cards (in case the game didn't end) and I went all-in. I won the combat by one point and by so doing got a 3rd star for combat and won the game.....because I still controlled the factory's 3 hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
MASK Crusaders... working overtime... fighting crime... fighting crime!!! Secret Raiders...
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Togawa from the expansion best because you get to lay traps.
I like Rusviet from base game because you can re-take an action from your last turn making them a powerful contender.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery Bailey
United States
Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Polandia. I also love taking both rewards. I never feel that powerful as Crimea, but I always finish strong with them.

Saxony is my least favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal McClatchey
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses everyone! I was happy to hear some strategy as well! Looking forward to playing. Still undecided what I’ll choose at the moment....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, it's supposed to be a random draw, not a choice. I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexey Bychenkov
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we are talking about base game with invaders from afar expansion included only, then it would defenetely be Northen Empire or Clan Albion.

I like the real viking raid stategy with first one. Since you've managed to make your mechs seaworthy with +1 movement it's so satisfying to terrorize everyone from lakes. Everyone must pay attention to your position, because they are not guaranteed to have their resources safe, and even if they fight back - you're still a threat, since you may retreat to a lake instead of homebase and raid'em again! Since most of my matches of Scythe are about how wealthy you grow your empire, this tactic goes quiete surprising for everyone. People just dont expect such an insolent behaviour.

I love Albion for a theme. Their mechs are walking bagpipes, and their leader is one badass scottishman with a grenade launcher. Not only that - they have their conquerer ability, combined with mechs one to jump on every flag you want from any space, so you may defend your self-proclaimed territory. Strong and thematic. Love them.

But if we also talk about wind gambit expansion, then this is a tough question. Things have changed with those badass airships. They make you think differently since you've been opened for a vast strategy. You may cross you workers through rivers now (if able with airship ability), you may expand and reach a lot more now. Every nation from now on works a little differently and may open an incredible amount of new tactics. Also resolutions make you play differently, obtaining new goals may be more effective then good old resourse management. I really cant tell you what nation i like most with this expansion, because i just hadn't tried everything yet. I am excited with Scythe even more right now, because it brings so much that you cant tell after a dozen of games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Taranto
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See my geek badges. Crimea!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Togawa by far, but it's an expansion faction. I find the traps are very useful, the starting position is particularly strong and functions well with basically all the boards, and the ability to jump around the map later can really get the drop on opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Martorana
United States
Holbrook
New York
flag msg tools
Painkeeper wrote:

This is, for me, what makes Red the faction that should most be avoided on your first play. You're missing out on some of the decision making and planning that give Scythe it's feel. Also, if you're playing with other beginners, it will feel like a huge advantage (it's not, really, but for a bunch of people playing their first game, it's likely to feel like that).

In fact, it's been my least favorite faction overall. To a certain extent I feel like I'm "not playing Scythe" when I can pick the same action twice in a row.

Anyway, for a first time though... White would be my first pick. Encounters are fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count of Tuscany
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I enjoy playing Nordics and Polonia.

Polonia is quite fun to play with the additional award you can pick from encounters and can be really strong in 2 player games. They can be played in different ways: you can play them aggressively and live a life of piracy with the submergable mechs or you can take a peaceful route and get your popularity in the upper tier and build your empire.

I also do enjoy playing Nordics. I enjoy swimming my workers across rivers and spread them out across the map like a plague. It's probably the faction for me with the most inactive character (sitting half of the game at the same spot) and I tend to be late in getting mechs out.
With Nordics it is possible to have your opponents bleed for you with the wide spread workers which limit expansion (or at the cost of taking popularity hits when you remove them), the mech ability that makes enemies bleed power and the option to attack your opponent safely from a lake when they have just spent all their power in a conflict. Add to this the chances of getting enlists in early (from the farms just across the river) and you can be quite a nuissance to your opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Jordan

Anchorage
Alaska
msg tools
The first time I played I picked Polonia because I thought the bear was cute. My husband likes vikings, so he picked the Nordics. I think for your first game picking factions based on the art/lore is a great way to go. It draws you into the experience in a way that picking factions based on their mechanisms doesn't. In that first game, we made up backstories for our characters that we still refer back to after many plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ho
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the previous posters and would also recommend against Rusviet for your first game because the being able to choose the same action consecutively will hamper your ability to learn the game's fundamentals.

My recommended faction for a newbie would be Polania or Nordic. Running around to gather encounters with Polania is just plain fun. Also, bears. As for Nordic, it's the most "normal" faction IMO whose abilities are not radically game-altering. Nordic would be a good choice for learning the fundamentals of the game.

My favorite faction to play is probably Polania. Gosh darn it, bears are fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.