Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

The 7th Continent» Forums » General

Subject: Dark Chest of the Damned question (some spoilers, all tagged) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've attempted Dark Chest once so far, and died trying. However, before I go back to it again I'd like to get just a little nudge to know whether I've missed something or not.

In my first attempt, I made a successful attempt to open the chest...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
...and discovered that in fact, it doesn't open unless you're on a terrain with an altar. Booo! (Especially annoying since I happened to be on a Terrain directly adjacent to one when I did it). So I held off and then managed to make a successful attempt to open the chest on the adjacent tile...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
...where I discovered that, through what seems to be a ridiculously awkward series of card reveals, it matters exactly which god statue/altar you're next to.

First question: is the card system genuinely as strange as it seems? Is there any reason it's split over 5 cards that you draw from at random instead of a single card with images of all 5 statues and the number for each?

Second question: I have, at the moment, no clue as to which of the remaining four statues is the correct one. I haven't, in any of this game or the other games I've played with the other curses, spotted anything that I think is a clue - meaning that the next game against the curse will be "open at each of the four other altars until I find the right one."

Is there actually a clue, or is it genuinely blind luck as to when you get the right one? Please don't answer with anything beyond "clue" or "blind luck", except for if there's a clue maybe a very small hint as to where I should be looking for it.

Thanks!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elia - "Rainbow Hippie" Acca
Italy
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I solved the Dark Chest...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
...by blind luck, but there might be hints somewhere?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you only doing this curse, or is it part of a many curse exploration?
Spoiler (click to reveal)

If you're only doing this curse there is a kind of hint, but I ended over complicating things and assuming it wasn't a hint, and thus ended up opening the chest at 3 different locations.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Karrde
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I went through the same process as you,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
and finally opened it at the correct altar through process of elimination.


To piggy back off this thread tho, I've successfully opened the chest...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
but I have no idea where to go with the contents of it. It's been about a month since I've played, but I remember it gave some type of hint but my initial guess was wrong. And now the notion of aimlessly wandering the continent has hindered my desire to get back to the game. Can someone nudge me in the right direction?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Galeotti
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
http://www.gruppoludico.it/
badge
I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.
Avatar
mb
Archr wrote:
To piggy back off this thread tho, I've successfully opened the chest...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
but I have no idea where to go with the contents of it. It's been about a month since I've played, but I remember it gave some type of hint but my initial guess was wrong. And now the notion of aimlessly wandering the continent has hindered my desire to get back to the game. Can someone nudge me in the right direction?


Spoiler (click to reveal)
If you completed "The Voracious Goddess", one of the locations where you can complete the quest should be somewhere that you already saw.
The other one involves an object (that you could have or could have not acquired during your previous quest).
Both are heavily hinted in the description when you open the chest.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Karrde
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vetinari7878 wrote:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
If you completed "The Voracious Goddess", one of the locations where you can complete the quest should be somewhere that you already saw.
The other one involves an object (that you could have or could have not acquired during your previous quest).
Both are heavily hinted in the description when you open the chest.

Thanks,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I remember it saying/implying that the tribal bench(?) would work, but I don't have that at the moment. I'll have to revisit based on the other clue.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
entwife wrote:
Are you only doing this curse, or is it part of a many curse exploration?
Spoiler (click to reveal)

If you're only doing this curse there is a kind of hint, but I ended over complicating things and assuming it wasn't a hint, and thus ended up opening the chest at 3 different locations.

That was what I thought as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyp Ganner
Belgium
flag msg tools
As to a hint for where to open the chest,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Did you take a good look at the drawing (carving ?) on the chest ?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Ukrop
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What Ganner says.
The same thing as described by the OP happened to us. But then we figured out where to go.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Ganner wrote:
As to a hint for where to open the chest,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Did you take a good look at the drawing (carving ?) on the chest ?


Could you elaborate on this? I know the correct location, but only by process of elimination. I looked at the cards again last night and I am not seeing what you're talking about.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyp Ganner
Belgium
flag msg tools
Solution for Dark Chest of the Damned :
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The drawing on the chest (which is the same drawing as the box of the game) represents the correct idol.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
United States
California
flag msg tools
Ganner wrote:
Solution for Dark Chest of the Damned :
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The drawing on the chest (which is the same drawing as the box of the game) represents the correct idol.


Spoiler (click to reveal)
That's exactly what we thought at first - we went to the one we thought looked most like the carving (the one in the desert area) - nope. Then we noticed that the parts making the "eyes" were actually hands - so we saw the idol with hands in the air. Still not the right one...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyp Ganner
Belgium
flag msg tools
It doesn't have the same position in the picture and on the statue. But you can recognize it at its very peculiar jaws.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
United States
California
flag msg tools
Ganner wrote:
It doesn't have the same position in the picture and on the statue. But you can recognize it at its very peculiar jaws.


We found the right one eventually. I just disagree that it is the only statue that looks like the picture. You could make the argument that any of them look like the picture
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyp Ganner
Belgium
flag msg tools
Spoiler (click to reveal)
There's only one idol with a vertical maw.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an interesting read for me having just played through this one.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I didn't even realise there was a wrong idol to bring it to. Made sense to me to bring it back to the island I started on, as that's where it came from.

I when I was drawing the multiple cards after opening it, I assumed that it just had a different contents depending on where you opened it.

Guess I just got lucky in that respect.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
United States
California
flag msg tools
Ganner wrote:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
There's only one idol with a vertical maw.


Spoiler (click to reveal)
There's also only one idol with uplifted hands. To me, the correct idol is just not the one I would have guessed to be correct when you look at the carving. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree here.



Ogrecrusher wrote:
This is an interesting read for me having just played through this one.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I didn't even realise there was a wrong idol to bring it to. Made sense to me to bring it back to the island I started on, as that's where it came from.

I when I was drawing the multiple cards after opening it, I assumed that it just had a different contents depending on where you opened it.

Guess I just got lucky in that respect.


Spoiler (click to reveal)
I think this curse is probably a lot easier if you play it by itself. A lot of people recommend playing it in conjunction with other curses, which could shift your starting location and makes it a lot less obvious.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertastas wrote:


Spoiler (click to reveal)
I think this curse is probably a lot easier if you play it by itself. A lot of people recommend playing it in conjunction with other curses, which could shift your starting location and makes it a lot less obvious.


Spoiler (click to reveal)
Yeah I could see that being an issue, I did it along with Offerings to the Guardians, but that start location is higher than the chest so it's not a problem.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tess Lynx
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
We just got lucky too - mostly because
Spoiler (click to reveal)
one player remembered there was an idol ...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
on the curse starting terrain, so that just made sense
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.