Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Dragonfire» Forums » General

Subject: Love this game, just got to level 15 Dragonfire on the first quest lol. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Absolutely crazy game of Dragonfire, 1 single card away from winning with 3 of us down and 1 encounter on the last player. My wife didn't draw the card we needed to beat it.

There were 3 market cards left and we were on DF level 15. Didn't realise you could survive at that level, it was fun!

I've had more than my money's worth already and still got 6 characters I've not even tried playing yet. Top game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
mbmbmbmbmb
There are so many questions here...

I really can't imagine getting to 15 dragonfire level and still being alive.

Also, what do you mean 3 market cards left? You always refresh the market after buying cards and the market deck at minimum must contain the 60 cards from the core box. There's no way you could have bought them all (you wouldn't get enough money in the entire encounter deck to do that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
💯 we were still alive after 14 dragonfire cards flipped (+1 modifier for modifying adventure level). I've played at least ten times now, I know the rules well enough , I hope!

We almost finished at around level 10 and the df card caused a random summon which had a summon trigger itself so suddenly had two extra encounters extending the game 5 more rounds

When I say 3 market cards left I mean 3 not flipped and loads in the discard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you mean 3 market cards "not flipped". Are you just talking about the player's deck then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
I mean the market deck had 3 cards left in it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
mbmbmbmbmb
There is absolutely no way that's the case.

One: when a player doesn't buy from the market you bury one market card. It doesn't get discarded it goes right back to the bottom of the deck.

Two: even still, you would have had to go through 57 other market cards to get there. Highly doubt that's the case...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteoanK wrote:

One: when a player doesn't buy from the market you bury one market card. It doesn't get discarded it goes right back to the bottom of the deck.

Two: even still, you would have had to go through 57 other market cards to get there. Highly doubt that's the case...

Actually, they do get discarded, but it's still surprising to go through the deck.

rules pg. 22 wrote:

Cycling the Market: If you do not purchase a card from the Market, reveal a new Market card from the deck. You must replace one of the existing Market cards with it and discard the replaced card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctaWho wrote:

Actually, they do get discarded, but it's still surprising to go through the deck.

rules pg. 22 wrote:

Cycling the Market: If you do not purchase a card from the Market, reveal a new Market card from the deck. You must replace one of the existing Market cards with it and discard the replaced card.

Hmm, fair enough. I would rule though if you needed to draw more you would shuffle that discard back to draw from. But in any case, yeah, playing through 53 cards seems ridiculous.

One point, I wonder if they were cycling cards during short rests? You only cycle the market cards if a player doesn't buy on their turn, not on the buy phase during a short rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven O'Shea
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes Dragonfire cards cause the deck to cycle as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
SteoanK wrote:

I don't see why that wouldn't be the case considering it was at DF 15.

If you take that each player has a turn between the DF cards being revealed, even with just 4 players you will get to about 60 cards (either purchased of discarded) from the Market deck.

Having 3 cards left in the Market deck sounds about right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
SteoanK wrote:

That is not true, you are supposed to have a market discard. Because classes like warlock can bring back cards from the market discard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
oshfarms wrote:
Sometimes Dragonfire cards cause the deck to cycle as well.

Yeah, we had the dragonfire card that cycled the market completely AND on quite a few turns we bought more than one card from the market.

There were 3 cards left AND we got to dragonfire level 15. It happened!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kindt Dalzen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m pretty sure the rule for all decks in Dragonfire is that if you need to draw a card and can’t you shuffle the discard and draw from there. This occurs most frequently with Equipment Packs, but I think it applies to all of them.

From Page 10 of the Dragonfire Rulebook:

Quote:
Shuffling Discard Piles: Unless specifically stated otherwise, never shuffle a discard pile of any type to create a new deck unless you must reveal a card from that deck and cannot. This applies to encounters, your draw deck, and so on.

This is unlikely to happen with the Market deck, but if you got to the point you needed to draw a Market card and had no more available, you would cycle the Market discard pile.

This doesn’t work for the Dragonfire deck though, seeing how the Dragonfire discards constitute the Dragonfire Level, but I’m guessing the designers never thought someone could survive for 24 rounds to go through the entire Dragonfire deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well we still had 10 more dragonfire cards left as we'd only used 14 ( and a + 1 token)

I think the key reason it went on for so long is because we were very unlucky at the start and didn't clear scene 1 until we'd hit DF 5.

Scene 2 we smashed through easily with an incredible draw of fairly easy encounter 2 deck creatures. I as the wizard with 6 health didn't take any damage but everyone else took quite a lot.

At the very start of scene 3 we drew the dragonfire card 'get the wizard!' so all the encounters came to me (including all tokens which were now 2/2), which was a HUGE result since everyone else could safely dmg them in each of their turns. The warrior had a flaming oil so wiped every single token in a single hit.

It was very close to being over until the DF card that summoned an arcane and the arcane encounter had another summon ability itself so we drew 2 more encounters , again extending the game.

I think it would be very very hard to replicate getting to that dragonfire level and surviving but that's the strength of the game IMO. The random cards and draw keep each game very interesting and different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
majk nobody
msg tools
Congrats! Sounds like a great game Out of curiousity how long did that game take??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
minimajk wrote:
Congrats! Sounds like a great game Out of curiousity how long did that game take??

2.5 hours!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RM Jordan
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteoanK wrote:

There is something that might occur that reduces market slot, causing the market to become smaller over time.

Been there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, there's a dragonfire card that cycles all cards. So there's six. Maybe if EVERY character also had a once per game effect to cycle the whole market too AND had the extra market slow feature to increase the number cycled. I just don't see going through 57 market cards in one game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SteoanK wrote:
Yeah, there's a dragonfire card that cycles all cards. So there's six. Maybe if EVERY character also had a once per game effect to cycle the whole market too AND had the extra market slow feature to increase the number cycled. I just don't see going through 57 market cards in one game.

Just because you don't think it can happen, doesn't mean it can't. At the end of my group's last game our Market discard was twice the height of the Market deck, and our DF level was only 7.

He said they flipped 14 DF cards, so in a 4 player game that's at least 56 Market cards bought or discarded. (Does not include any cards they bought in between scenes.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
SteoanK wrote:

I'm really quite confident this happened and we played correctly!

If you read my description above you can see why it went quite weirdly. The key was that we were all guaranteed to die first turn of scene 3 but the dragonfire card was 'kill the wizard' so every single mob and token went on me and the party leader threw a flaming oil at them killing about 10 tokens with 1 card. That is incredibly lucky and what saved us from instant wipe at about dragonfire level 8.

FYI, I think the highest DF level we've ever got to before this was around 7, if that. I haven't been playing DF wrong.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregolution wrote:
SteoanK wrote:

I'm really quite confident this happened and we played correctly!

If you read my description above you can see why it went quite weirdly. The key was that we were all guaranteed to die first turn of scene 3 but the dragonfire card was 'kill the wizard' so every single mob and token went on me and the party leader threw a flaming oil at them killing about 10 tokens with 1 card. That is incredibly lucky and what saved us from instant wipe at about dragonfire level 8.

FYI, I think the highest DF level we've ever got to before this was around 7, if that. I haven't been playing DF wrong.....

That's so crazy! Must have just been the perfect storm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thorsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a great game. I went through the market yesterday playing Slaadi Plague. It’s pretty cool having characters with fully loaded decks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nice, yeah the game changes further into it.

I'm a huge fan now. To me it feels like a really nice balanced game of cards. It's always different and a fun puzzle. I'll be buying whatever they bring out for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How did the heroes' HP keep up so long?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
rashktah wrote:
How did the heroes' HP keep up so long?

Heh, read the thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.