Hide
8 Posts

Space Empires: 4X» Forums » Rules

Subject: Doomsday Machine attack strength rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A.J Phillips
msg tools
Question about the doomsday machine attack ratings on pg 8 of the scenario book. It states that they always miss on a roll of ten and always hit on a 1. Why is this? Some of them have attack strength of 11 so how can a ten be a miss? Also how do you roll for attack 11 with only a ten sided dice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bach
United States
Rocky Hill
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I'm Bach!
mbmbmbmbmb
Because there is a school of thought that says nothing should ever be certain. My grandfather played poker with the rule that a royal flush could be beaten by a natural pair of 2s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Martin
United States
CAMAS
WA
flag msg tools
designer
"...but only slightly less well known is this:
badge
...never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Remnant8 wrote:
Question about the doomsday machine attack ratings on pg 8 of the scenario book. It states that they always miss on a roll of ten and always hit on a 1. Why is this? Some of them have attack strength of 11 so how can a ten be a miss? Also how do you roll for attack 11 with only a ten sided dice?

Unless the DM is attacking single-hulled ships with no defense technology, the effective attack of the DM is going to be 10 or lower since it gets reduced by the defending unit's defense value.

PaulRadagast wrote:
Because there is a school of thought that says nothing should ever be certain. My grandfather played poker with the rule that a royal flush could be beaten by a natural pair of 2s.

Yep.

Also, that is the single greatest Poker house rule I have ever heard of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Upshaw
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let’s go over some examples of what you do with an Attack Strength of 11.
Target is a SC with no Defense Tech. You will hit it if you roll a 1-9 on the dice. 10’s are a miss and there is no 11 for you to roll.

Target is a CA with Defense 2 Tech. You will hit it if you roll a 1-8. 11 Attack Strength minus 3 Defense(1 built in and 2 from the Tech) give you this result.

If Jim had limited the Doomsday Machines to an Attack Strength of 10 to match the dice then the CA would only be hit on a 1-7 in the second example. By putting it at 11 he allowed the DMs a better chance of hitting targets with a high defense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J Phillips
msg tools
Those explanations cleared it up for me. Much appreciated.

On a side note, lets say you have two or more doomsday machines on the board...when it's the doomsday machine's turn, do they all move, or do you only move one per turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Schulatz
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Look, I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulRadagast wrote:

Wow. How often did this scenario come up in his poker playing career?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bach
United States
Rocky Hill
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I'm Bach!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wayne Schulatz wrote:
PaulRadagast wrote:

Wow. How often did this scenario come up in his poker playing career?

I have no idea. I just got the story from my mother, but the point of the rule, (and the story told to me,) was to never allow anyone to feel like they can sit pat on a certain win, in poker or in life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Upshaw
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remnant8 wrote:
Those explanations cleared it up for me. Much appreciated.

On a side note, lets say you have two or more doomsday machines on the board...when it's the doomsday machine's turn, do they all move, or do you only move one per turn?

They all move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.