Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Pendragon: The Fall of Roman Britain» Forums » Rules

Subject: Plunder lost during Battle & Raider Assault Chart rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
- What happens to Plunder that is attached to a Raider that is removed via Battle (notably Assault)? Is it just removed? Or does it return to Prosperity?

- What do the Shaded numbers on the Raider Assault Chart mean? The rulebook mentions it but it's not really clear and I can't see any pattern for every odd or even set of Raiders per Stronghold.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Turbine2k5 wrote:
- What happens to Plunder that is attached to a Raider that is removed via Battle (notably Assault)? Is it just removed? Or does it return to Prosperity?

Any of the above depending on who did the removing. See rule 3.6.5, last bullet.

Quote:
- What do the Shaded numbers on the Raider Assault Chart mean? The rulebook mentions it but it's not really clear and I can't see any pattern for every odd or even set of Raiders per Stronghold.

IIRC it marks the lowest # of Raiders) needed to successfully Assault a Stronghold with that number of Withdrawn units defending it.

Regards,
Oerjan
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oerjan wrote:
IIRC it marks the lowest # of Raiders) needed to successfully Assault a Stronghold with that number of Withdrawn units defending it.

It does not seem correct, then. For example, I have 10 Scotti Raiders Battling during a Raid Command against 2 Dux Cavalry and a Fort. According to the chart, 10 Raiders should be enough to remove the Fort, as it gives a result of 0-2 shaded.

However, the actual math does not seem to add up:
- There is no Coup de Main, so this step is skipped.
- Escalade has 2 Cavalry + 1 Garrison at a Defense Value of 1. This, paired with halved Raider value removes 6, leaving 4 Raiders.
- Storm then removes another 3 Raiders, while 4 Raiders can only remove the Garrison + 1 Calvary, leaving 1 Calvary still Withdrawn.

So I'm a bit confused on how 10 Raiders can knock down a Fort with 2 Withdrawn units without Coup de Main.

Edit: Nevermind. I missed the fact that during Storm everything removes a flat 1, regardless of unit type.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgane Gouyon-Rety
Canada
Montreal
QC
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oerjan wrote:
Turbine2k5 wrote:
- What happens to Plunder that is attached to a Raider that is removed via Battle (notably Assault)? Is it just removed? Or does it return to Prosperity?

Any of the above depending on who did the removing. See rule 3.6.5, last bullet.
Exactly. By default, such Plunder is lost (i.e. the golden cubes are removed off-map), unless (no more than half) is captured (Cavalry can't unless Retaliate) or (no more than 1) is returned by a Briton to the Region's Prosperity (fairly typical outcome when Dux is doing the killing...)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgane Gouyon-Rety
Canada
Montreal
QC
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Turbine2k5 wrote:
Oerjan wrote:
IIRC it marks the lowest # of Raiders) needed to successfully Assault a Stronghold with that number of Withdrawn units defending it.

It does not seem correct, then. For example, I have 10 Scotti Raiders Battling during a Raid Command against 2 Dux Cavalry and a Fort. According to the chart, 10 Raiders should be enough to remove the Fort, as it gives a result of 0-2 shaded.

However, the actual math does not seem to add up:
- There is no Coup de Main, so this step is skipped.
- Escalade has 2 Cavalry + 1 Garrison at a Defense Value of 1. This, paired with halved Raider value removes 6, leaving 4 Raiders.
- Storm then removes another 3 Raiders, while 4 Raiders can only remove the Garrison + 1 Calvary, leaving 1 Calvary still Withdrawn.

So I'm a bit confused on how 10 Raiders can knock down a Fort with 2 Withdrawn units without Coup de Main.

Edit: Nevermind. I missed the fact that during Storm everything removes a flat 1, regardless of unit type.
The gray spots mark the transition points, so that one can easily identify the minimum number of Raiders necessary to remove a given Stronghold with a given number of Withdrawn units in it. So for instance you need a minimum of 4 Raiders to remove an empty Dux Fort, a minimum of 7 if there is 1 unit (type is irrelevant indeed) Withdrawn in it, and 10 if there are 2. Bear in mind that this is NOT the number of units killed during the Assault, but the number you need for the Assault to succeed, since there must be at least 1 survivor for the Assault to be successful. In other words, the defence will kill that threshold number minus 1 (3 Raiders for an empty Dux Fort, 6 with 1 unit in it, 9 with 2 units in it) (Note: there is a mistake due to this in the Example of Play... :-( )
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Marc. I'm really starting to like the look of this one. The Barbarians are relentless and I'm very interested in seeing how these Entropy rules come into play!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgane Gouyon-Rety
Canada
Montreal
QC
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Turbine2k5 wrote:
Thanks, Marc. I'm really starting to like the look of this one. The Barbarians are relentless and I'm very interested in seeing how these Entropy rules come into play!
Thank you. The Barbarians have no choice but to be relentless or they will never bring down the Romano-British fortress, and the game will turn into a politic power struggle between Civitates and Dux...
A common pitfall I warn new Barbarian players against is to shy away from the depressing setbacks and slaughters of their forays: it can often feel like you're banging your head on a stout wall (especially as the Saxons), but it often takes a lot of banging to make cracks in this wall...
The Saxons need to secure a foothold on the island from which they can raid with much improved impact than having to face the Saxon Shore patrols and fortresses. And both Barbarians need to remove as much Prosperity from the board as they can, even if they fail to bring it back home as Renown, because, besides being a victory condition driver for the Dux, it also means less revenues for the Britons, and hence less resources to prosecute war...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.