Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of excellent Star Wars games currently on the market, including a number of table top games. Since there is such a strong gaming presence for Star Wars, I am interested in what BGGer's, many of whom are likely also Star Wars fans (movies), thought about Last Jedi.

Poll
On a scale from 1 to 5 with 5 being the best, how would you rate the latest Star Wars movie, The Last Jedi?
Want to see it but haven't yet
Have no interest to see it
      269 answers
Poll created by saturnkk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
Check me out on Instagram: @WisdomForWizards
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
I will rank all the movies in this post below, but first some caveats:

This is my opinion, and I understand that it's subjective. All films would score above a 90% in my world, so for the ones that fall at the end of the ranking they are still movies that I love immensely. (I've been a Star Wars fan since birth, reading many of the now defunct EU books and series like Jedi Academy Trilogy, Thrawn Trilogy, The New Jedi Order, Han Solo Trilogy, etc. I've also played Star Wars video games from that old school one where Darth Vader turns into a scorpion to the most recent Battlefront 2. Some are better then others, but they all provide me the chance to interact with the Star Wars world)

Also worth noting that I do not include The Clone Wars animated feature length film in this listing as I'm only listing live action movies

9. The Phantom Menace (2)
8. Attack of the Clones (2)
7. A New Hope (3)
6. Rogue One (3)
5. Revenge of the Sith (3)
4. The Force Awakens (4)
3. Empire Strikes Back (4)
2. The Last Jedi (4)
1. Return of the Jedi (5)

I won't go into detail about why I rank The Last Jedi so high, just know that I've been waiting to see certain things that capture the spirit of some of the more obscure EU novels and got to see them in The Last Jedi.

Also, I know I ranked Empire in third place, but you need to understand that the last three movies have razor thin margins (IE: Empire would be like a 97.75, TLJ a 97.90, and Return of the Jedi 98.25)

Finally I've added in parenthesis what number I would choose in this poll if the question were about each of those individual movies. Since a 5 point scale is not as freeing as the 100 point scale I tend to rate things in (but a 5 point scale is much more practical for these polls) You'll find a lot of movies on the same number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best 3 Star Wars films

1 - The Empire Strikes Back (5 on your scale)

2 - Rogue One (4.7 on your scale)

3 - The Last Jedi (4.6 on your scale)

I remember in 1983 when Return of the Jedi credits were rolling, I had this enormous feeling of desire and excitement for the next one.

When The Phantom Menace came out I had high hopes...

I was given what I had hoped for all those years when I first saw The Last Jedi.

LUKE SKYWALKER!!!!!!!!!

I never thought there would ever be a moment in a film that could compete with Han's classic response to Leia's I love you, I know.

Luke bests it without words.
SO COOL!

I live across the street from a theatre.....
Going For #4 tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We differ!

9. The Last Jedi
8. The Phantom Menace
7. Attack of the Clones
6. The Force Awakens
5. Revenge of the Sith
4. Rogue One
3. Return of the Jedi
2. Empire Strikes Back
1. A New Hope

Technically, Empire was slightly better than Star Wars A New Hope but nothing ever captured my attention and imagination like A New Hope did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
saturnkk wrote:
We differ!

9. The Last Jedi
8. The Phantom Menace
7. Attack of the Clones
6. The Force Awakens
5. Revenge of the Sith
4. Rogue One
3. Return of the Jedi
2. Empire Strikes Back
1. A New Hope

Technically, Empire was slightly better than Star Wars A New Hope but nothing ever captured my attention and imagination like A New Hope did.

haha, well for me part of the reason Return of the Jedi wins hands down is because I had soooo many Return of the Jedi toys as a kid. Not to mention I really loved the whole Endor sequence because it reminded me of the woods near my grandmothers house in Washington state.

With that being said, I think the acting and over all technical prowess of The Last Jedi is much better then any of its predecessors. I really dig those two things in films now a days.

Also I'm one of those psychopaths that actually wanted Luke's arc to take the direction it did in The Last Jedi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, Last Jedi had great cinematography and some awesome space battles. Where it fell most flat and disappointed me so very much was with the:
Spoiler (click to reveal)

- Snoke's death (with no origin reference nor explanation of his background) being so easy. What a let down

- Rey's Mary Sue powers having no explanation as to why she can best or equal someone like Kylo

- Kylo being the most powerful force user we have ever seen at the beginning of Force Awakens and devolving into a guy bested by a person with no force experience. This, to me, needed some sort of explanation in this movie. Maybe it is still coming but it was a let down for me.

- Luke being somewhat unceremoniously killed off. I may differ on this with many but I felt we needed more from Luke (in non force ghost form) in this movie and the next

- The swift elimination of the retro characters in favor of characters that simply have not yet resonated for me with the exceptions of Poe and BB-8

oh...

And enough with the little kids already!

I always saw Star Wars as more of a kid's story for adults than an adult story for kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
It's a combination of a bad movie (Finn and Rose do nothing of importance) and an okay movie (Rey and Luke, except for the "accidental" force-phone bits).

I wouldn't say it was terrible, I enjoyed it, but there were so many dumb plot holes and idiot moments that it enters prequel quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I gotcha, all valid concerns, here's why each of those things did not bother me:
Spoiler (click to reveal)

saturnkk wrote:
- Snoke's death (with no origin reference nor explanation of his background) being so easy. What a let down

I wouldn't be surprised if they delve deeper into Snoke in either the final film or in some sort of other media (like a novel). Now I know that may seem like a cop-out, but as someone who loves all the expanded stuff, I'm ok with it. Furthermore, Snoke felt like a character that got in the way of Kylo Ren who is a character I'm much more interested in. Do I want to know how Snoke got to where he was? Yeah, but it's not a big ticket item for me.

saturnkk wrote:
- Rey's Mary Sue powers having no explanation as to why she can best or equal someone like Kylo

In these cases I don't look at it this way. I look at it from this perspective: We see Yoda, Palpatine, and a few others display amazing powers of the force across the entire series. We Also know that those characters are apparent masters of the force. We then see Rey's connection with the force and with Ren. Despite her prowess with the Force, She gets utterly destroyed by Snoke. It isn't until the end in which she lifts a bunch of rocks out of the way. So the way I process this is, Rey must just be super powerful and have incredible potential. In other words, I don't downgrade her abilities because I know that Jedi masters do similar stuff, I upgrade her abilities to the level that she must be one of the more powerful force users to come along.

saturnkk wrote:
- Kylo being the most powerful force user we have ever seen at the beginning of Force Awakens and devolving into a guy bested by a person with no force experience. This, to me, needed some sort of explanation in this movie. Maybe it is still coming but it was a let down for me.

I still think there is more to this then we know. Besides, the path to the dark side is rather unstable. It is understood that to master the dark side you must fully give into hate and suffering which blinds you, as is said many times by different characters.

saturnkk wrote:
- Luke being somewhat unceremoniously killed off. I may differ on this with many but I felt we needed more from Luke (in non force ghost form) in this movie and the next)

I would have liked to see more of Luke as well, but that's the nostalgia in me. I think with the amount Hamill was in the film he acted his ass off. It was great to see his completely and utter mastery of the force in his final scene (also it's worth noting that being able to become a force ghost is considered an entire other skill of mastery nobody had achieved until Qui-Gon Jinn)

saturnkk wrote:
- The swift elimination of the retro characters in favor of characters that simply have not yet resonated for me with the exceptions of Poe and BB-8

I don't really know how else they could go about this, especially with Carrie Fisher's death. But I can understand this one.

saturnkk wrote:
oh...

And enough with the little kids already!

I always saw Star Wars as more of a kid's story for adults than an adult story for kids.

I will say, I can't wait to see my son's face when he gets to watching these for the first time and can share the joy of Star Wars with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justen Brown
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At this point I'd say it's my favorite Star Wars film and I'll also say it'll probably be the most contentious one in the series. Following the The Force Awakens that plays it completely safe, The Last Jedi homages Empire thoughtfully but crawls out from under its shadow. The great mysteries, the backstory, the lore -- all the garbage that bogs down Star Wars from being a humanist story -- is ultimately nonsense. The prequels forgot that it's the characters who drive these stories, not space magic and prophecy.

Kylo Ren said it best: Kill the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will avoid direct spoilers, but anyone who has not seen it yet might want to stop reading.

Went for the second time last night. Overall I like Last Jedi, though it has some moments that are unfulfilling for me. It had a few too many laughs, and the floating Mary Poppins scene annoyed me. Otherwise, the film advanced the plot lines in ways that work.

Thinking back to how Luke's character traits developed in episodes 4-6, I think Last Jedi fits within his personality - even if it does not go the way people would have liked.

Also, we watched Force Awakens the night before going to Last Jedi's opening, so we had fresh in our minds the ways Rey's character had been developed. Considering the strengths she showed in the previous film, I don't have any problem accepting how she grew in this one.

Last Jedi has an unfinished quality to it, similar to Empire Strikes Back. I didn't like Empire at first, but after seeing ep. 6 I felt better about it. I don't think we can fully rate Last Jedi until we see how the story lines resolve in the next film.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrumPhil wrote:
Last Jedi has an unfinished quality to it, similar to Empire Strikes Back. I didn't like Empire at first, but after seeing ep. 6 I felt better about it. I don't think we can fully rate Last Jedi until we see how the story lines resolve in the next film.

This same concept worked for my friend and The Force Awakens. He was adamantly not a fan of The Force Awakens, but having seen The Last Jedi, he now loves it. The Last Jedi definitely doesn't shy away from being a "middle of the story" film.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WisdomForWizards wrote:
DrumPhil wrote:

This same concept worked for my friend and The Force Awakens. He was adamantly not a fan of The Force Awakens, but having seen The Last Jedi, he now loves it. The Last Jedi definitely doesn't shy away from being a "middle of the story" film.

Agree here to an extent. Last Jedi was a kind of make it or break it movie for me regarding itself and Force Awakens and for me it mostly broke it. I don't hate them, I am just very disappointed is all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Purdon

Twinsburg
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrumPhil wrote:
Thinking back to how Luke's character traits developed in episodes 4-6, I think Last Jedi fits within his personality - even if it does not go the way people would have liked.

IMO by the end of RotJ Luke is a person that does not fit with what they did to his character over the next 30 years. I actually like what happens with his character in the movie timeframe itself, it's the backstory I can't stand. This is definitely one of my biggest complaint about the movie, but there are other things that brought it down as well.

The storyline presented in the Timothy Zahn trilogy is still my preferred timeline. The new movies have officially been relegated to a fun diversion alternate universe for me. I highly recommend for anyone into Star Wars to check out the graphic novels for the Zahn trilogy. (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
saturnkk wrote:

Indeed.

I try to keep in mind that one of the primary inspirations for Star Wars was the old serials. And it's easier to start stories than finish them.

Thus, true to its origins, Star Wars is best enjoyed rather than analyzed.

But dammit it is a call to adventure. The potential hinted at (nevermind that it's all curtains, with nothing behind....) is brain bait.

It is possible to make a movie so stupid you can't unplug enough to allow mindless enjoyment (see: at least 2 of the 3 pre-movies that shall not here be mentioned.)

The Last Jedi manages to almost match the enjoyment potential of A New Hope. But unfortunately, I couldn't help but notice even when first watching it that it was a poor editing together of a mishmash of assorted pieces. There were all sorts of story bits heading in all sorts of directions, and too few were set up, too few ever paid off. Result .... a whole of lot "Huh???" moments. Whatever the credits say, it reeks of having been rewritten by committee, and rewritten all along, on the fly.

So in your poll I give it a '3'. Great visuals (only a couple laughable effects) and sound and production value, but crap story.

Here's hoping another director is allowed to recut it ... and shorten it ... and further hoping all the missing bits are still in the cutting room. There may never have existed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couch wrote:
DrumPhil wrote:

IMO by the end of RotJ Luke is a person that does not fit with what they did to his character over the next 30 years. I actually like what happens with his character in the movie timeframe itself, it's the backstory I can't stand. This is definitely one of my biggest complaint about the movie, but there are other things that brought it down as well.

The storyline presented in the Timothy Zahn trilogy is still my preferred timeline. The new movies have officially been relegated to a fun diversion alternate universe for me. I highly recommend for anyone into Star Wars to check out the graphic novels for the Zahn trilogy. (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command).

Agreed. Also, I LOVE the Dark Horse comics Dark Empire series as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zahn's trilogy obeyed the fundamental aspect that these films are either consciously doing away with or are unaware of the bedrock narratives that Star Wars is telling: that of the meta-myth. As soon as Star Wars strays from archetypes it does not only a disservice to the franchise but it also does a rather weird type of harm to the larger cultural landscape.

These new Star Wars movies seem to be more about virtue signalling than actually engaging with the meta-myth that propelled it in a very powerful way into the cultural consciousness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couch wrote:

The Thrawn Trilogy IS amazing. One of my favorites, and I think often regarded as the best the EU has to offer. I actually really like Jedi Academy, and some of the New Jedi order a bit more, but that's just personal taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I look at it this way, how many in the new trilogy do I take over the original for similar roles?

Luke versus Obi One/Yoda. Slight edge to Luke but that's more thinking of Ben not really sticking around and Luke will always be pushed as being awesome in the new trilogy. This is likely a push.

Kylo Ren versus Darth. Darth, and it is not even close. At least when people talk about the baddest force user in the universe Darth made sense. Rey can compete well enough and oh right, Luke is around.

Rey versus Luke. Push? I mean, Rey isn't an annoying brat but she has zero backstory and more so for why she magically competes with Kylo Ren. Luke was a whiny brat but has a well built-in story and he grew out of being whiny.

BB-8 versus R2D2/CP3O. R2D2 wins this by himself.

Captain Phasma vs. Bobba Fett. Phasma because she got to speak and is a women?

Snoke versus Palpatine. Palpatine. For a reason.

Poe versus Han. Nothing against the actor, but Han wins easily.

Finn. I can't think of a comparison, but he's another that has potential for a story line and it is going nowhere, so that feels like a negative.

I'm honestly trying to think of a character in the new trilogy who has a story line which makes me care about them, and I'm not sure I have one. That's kind of bad when you are done with 2 of the movies in a trilogy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like this movie was one they thought through the least. There were just so many holes and actions without build up or pay off.

It was a fun watch and there were some fantastic parts and elements but I left the movie thinking they didn't do enough reviews as they were writing up the script.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Purdon

Twinsburg
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:

Rey versus Luke. Push? I mean, Rey isn't an annoying brat but she has zero backstory and more so for why she magically competes with Kylo Ren. Luke was a whiny brat but has a well built-in story and he grew out of being whiny.

Also Luke has ups and downs. So far Rey is a Mary Sue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a $200 million movie, you'd think they could spring for a writer. The plot is a mess. It doesn't connect well to the rest of the story. Even the individual scenes are broken. Any 10-year-old could have done a better job. I think I'm done with Star Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
For a $200 million movie, you'd think they could spring for a writer. The plot is a mess. It doesn't connect well to the rest of the story. Even the individual scenes are broken. Any 10-year-old could have done a better job. I think I'm done with Star Wars.

You know you aren't...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
For a $200 million movie, you'd think they could spring for a writer an editor. The plot is a mess. It doesn't connect well to the rest of the story. Even the individual scenes are broken. Any 10-year-old could have done a better job. I think I'm done with Star Wars.

Fixed that for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk K

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SPOILERS

They should have gotten one director to do all three movies. There is a big disconnect between what Abrams was doing and what Johnson wanted to do (it's pretty obvious that J.J. didn't think Rey's parents were "nobody"), and I think it's going to be pretty jarring when Abrams tries to recalibrate back to his original vision in the Episode IX.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schroeder
United States
Lewiston
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
TLJ is absolute crap. My first reaction when the movie finished was, "This wasn't feel like a Star Wars movie."

People on the other side will say, "Oh well get out of the past...move on." True to that point. It's a expansive universe, there's a lot out there. But you must admit, if it doesn't "feel" or appear like SW, then maybe it's not SW? End it and call it something else. Say there wasn't even any Jedi or Skywalkers in it (the coming episodes 10-12), OK that's cool, but there must be a vibe, a feeling a sense that it's still SW. If not, it's Firefly, it's Star Trek, it's BSG.

This was the first SW I seen in the theaters since the prequels that people weren't clapping and cheering before the crawl. People sensed something was off.

The crawl sucked even. Ok let's take SW out of it entirely. Is the movie good on it's own. No. Plot holes aplenty, technical errors. Comedic delivery during moments that should have been dead serious...it was wrong on so many levels.

It got decent towards the end, barely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.