Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I played my first session on the new Concordia Aegyptus board. This map is pretty unique. There are two new scoring spaces: one for incense in the Red Sea, and one for gold at the headwaters of the Nile. These will permanently claim a sea colonist and reward you with 7 VP each at the end of the game. An incense sea colonist also gets you sestertii when the neighboring provinces produce. Because of the nature of the map, dedicating the colonists is not so much of a sacrifice--there's nowhere that isn't accessible to land colonists, sea colonists don't block each other (a special rule for this map), and the Red Sea can only get a sea colonist by means of a Colonist action. Initial and Tribune colonists start on the Nile, which leads to the Mediterranean, but not to the Red Sea.

The other unusual feature of Aegyptus is the Nile flood, according to which an extra food bonus token starts in the far south (Kush), and travels northward along the Nile by one province each time its province produces. It supplies an additional food for its province. Because of this, it became possible for us to routinely get five goods from Nile provinces late in the game.

This first play was a two-player session in which I faced my daughter Prp. We used salt but no Forum, and we played with the cloth-centric personality board costs instead of the alternate wine/cloth ones that are also provided with the Aegyptus/Creta expansion.

At the start I made a beeline up the Nile, while Prp (largely in quest of salt) went to the Sinai and Asia. Here is our development in an early turn; I'm yellow and she's blue:

The new scoring spaces for sea colonists are totally worth it. I scored 21 14* points that way, and Prp scored 14 also. Nile flooding didn't start until very late in this play; in retrospect I might have benefited from getting it off the ground earlier, but I was focused on producing in provinces where I already had houses. I was in fact a little short on Prefect cards throughout--I think I used my Diplomat to copy Prefects more than any other card.

I claimed the Concordia card by building my fifteenth house, but only one card was left on the board after Prp's final turn, and she had few houses unplayed. The lopsidedness in our final 184 177*-138 score was due almost entirely to Minerva cards. I had four of the five, leaving Prp with just the Farmer. My Vintner was nominal with only one wine-producing city, but I had four Weaver cities (including one salt), three Smith cities, and four Mason cities.

*[Edited in light of rules correction below]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Brown
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
No, I'M Spartacus
badge
\m/
mbmbmbmbmb
How did you get 21 points from the sea colonist spaces? There’s only 2 spaces and each player is only allowed there once.0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FritzBraun wrote:
How did you get 21 points from the sea colonist spaces? There’s only 2 spaces and each player is only allowed there once.0

Right you are. In a hurried rules check, I read "At the end of the game, each sea colonist on these special squares is worth 7 victory points" to imply the possibility of multiple colonists per player, and didn't read the following sentence: "Only 1 sea colonist per player per special square is allowed."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Aegyptus yesterday with the Forum but no Salt. Scoring as follows:

Vesta - me 8, hubby 3
Jupiter - me 48, hubby 30
Saturnus - me 40, hubby 30
Mercurius - me 20, hubby 10
Mars - me 12, hubby 36
Minerva - me Tools 12, Wine 8, Food 12; hubby Silk 15, Brick 9
Gold - me 7, hubby 7
Frankincense - me 7, hubby 7
Special bonus - me Victoria from Forum 5, hubby 0
Concordia - me 7, hubby 0

Total - me 186, hubby 147

We enjoyed the new powers of the board, Frankincense,Gold, Nile flood, and also the interesting challenges presented by the river and landlocked bodies of water.

Brilliant board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kymmie Meeple
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
badge
... May you find hearts full of Meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
Somehow, I didnt get a rule set with this board. Can someone please post it as a PDF file or send a copy to me?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Link here: /weblink/250133/rules-concordia-aegyptus-creta
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the spirit of teaching how to build a fire instead of just giving someone a fire:

To find game rules, instead of waiting for someone to tell you where they are, you can simply look in:
* the Files section,
* or in the Web Links section (under More),
* or at the Official Link (in the Description).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.