United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
mbmb
I know there is a growing disgust with white 'Evangelical' republican Christianity. Which I share.

Tim Keller, much more eloquent than me, does a great job in the New Yorker today of outlining the Christianity I adhere to.

Can Evangelicalism Survive Donald Trump and Roy Moore?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Christianity, taken seriously, is a very demanding religion, regardless of denomination. I am no christian, but I can respect Christians that take their faith seriously, and try to live it every day. Now, the trick with faiths as broad and prescriptive as Christianity is that it's very easy to say all the words, and even believe one wants to follow the whole thing. Only when someone faces situations where those values become very inconvenient are the beliefs, and the faith, tested.

No matter the pretty stories we tell ourselves in our heads, our actions tell us who we really are. When it comes to Very Religious Evangelicals in the US, we all have learned that a whole lot of them don't give a flying fuck about behavior when someone is on their team. For many, their faith is just a Church of Convenience, where entire chapters of the Bible are erased, or interpreted in the most convenient way at the time. Hate gays? Great, the Church of Convenience hates gays too! Like rape? It's all good as long as it's Convenient(TM)! Convenience: for the times when Satanism is just too difficult to follow.

We hear that America is a Christian nation, but people are going to have to realize that this is all a sham: There's people that really care about their faith, but they are a small minority of people calling themselves religious. The rest just want a cloak that makes them see themselves as Good, when they aren't just sacks of sin, but also will support other giant sacks of sin as long as it's convenient, and it's almost always convenient.

In some ways, I wish Trump was more blatantly depraved, if just to make it harder for his supporters to hide behind denial. I am a big fan of lies deceit, but even I find the level of self deception in the US as unhealthy. Only when Americans realize who they are as a nation will we have a chance of healing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Technology (i.e. TV) has brought forth the ability of people to proselityze, and unfortunately, brought forth some of the worst 'evangelicals', ones that tainted the name;

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/11/us/gallery/pastor-scandals/ind...

Evangelicism will survive Trump and Moore, they are the temporaries here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind—Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
I was surprised by this:

Quote:
And, again, unlike many in mainline Protestantism, evangelicals believe that Jesus truly did exist as the divine Son before he was born, that he actually was born of a virgin, and that he really was raised bodily from the dead.

I go to a mainline Protestant church (United Methodist), and I don't know of anyone who would disagree with those statements. Those things are part of our core beliefs, and I'd be real surprised if the same weren't true of Presbyterians, Lutherans, Episcopals, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik17 wrote:
I was surprised by this:

Quote:
And, again, unlike many in mainline Protestantism, evangelicals believe that Jesus truly did exist as the divine Son before he was born, that he actually was born of a virgin, and that he really was raised bodily from the dead.

I go to a mainline Protestant church (United Methodist), and I don't know of anyone who would disagree with those statements. Those things are part of our core beliefs, and I'd be real surprised if the same weren't true of Presbyterians, Lutherans, Episcopals, etc.

There was a lot of weird shit in that article, like the ideas in it were somehow fringe and not fundamental.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
“Evangelical” used to denote people who claimed the high moral ground; now, in popular usage, the word is nearly synonymous with “hypocrite.”

hypocrite ? I believe the correct word they where searching for is "fuckwit".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Jester
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
"We have now sunk to a depth at which re-statement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."--George Orwell
mbmbmb
Erik17 wrote:
I was surprised by this:

Quote:

Baptist here. Three for three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Zedsdead wrote:
Erik17 wrote:
I was surprised by this:

Quote:

From my experience growing up, anyone questioning any of those three statements would not have been regarded as a genuine Christian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zedsdead wrote:
Erik17 wrote:
I was surprised by this:

Quote:

Roman Catholic here. I don't know who the author is, but they don't seem to actually know much about any Christian denomination (Protestant, Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, you name it) if that's what they think. There isn't a Christian denomination that I know of that doesn't accept those points as facts (or articles of faith, take your pick).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
mbmb
I think he's commenting more on the beliefs of American people in the pews rather than official statements of faith by mainline denominations. It's great that Christians here are in agreement on those essential doctrines but I think we are in the minority of Americans and Europeans who self-identify as Christian.

Edit - I think this is especially true for Trump thumping Christians who hate gays, immigrants and democrats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar the Woebringer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Much of my family would be considered "Evangelical", including my mom.

We still get along but only if politics aren't brought up. They all have made it pretty clear that they feel I'm ignorant and misguided...and I feel the same toward them. As they are the ones pushing their attitudes and beliefs into politics, affecting the rest of us--I actually feel quite a bit more hostile than that toward them. I consider them the enemy of the USA that I want to live in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
The article really resonates with me, because my family is certainly "evangelical" in the old sense (or maybe in the "new immigrant churches" sense) but has absolutely nothing in common, and are in fact horrified by the "Evangelical" political/social movement.

It's hard to talk about in most cases because it can verge on "No True Evangelical", but it's really nice to see it laid out so clearly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NPR had a segment a week ago saying that Evangelicals are looking for something new to call themselves that hasn't been politicized yet. Like Fundamentalism, many Evangelicals feel that what the term has become doesn't fit what they actually believe, obviously for those who lean liberal. I didn't read the article, but I assume that's what it is about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.