Subject: Sagrada or Azul? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Jones
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know they're not exactly the same, but watching videos on Sagrada and Azul, they strike me as having a lot of similarity. I like the idea and the look of these games, but can't decide which is preferable, since I don't think I'd want both.

For those who have played both, how would you compare them? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azul: there is more interaction or at least considerations with what everyone else is doing. It is as if we all have the same puzzle and are trying to block others from doing what we are doing. Compared to Sagrada which is, my board wants me to do this while your board wants you to do something else.

They are both lightish but Azul just seems to have the church going for it where Sagrada is only the stained glass window.

I hope that this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you have sausage fingers, Sagrada will occasionally be frustrating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Lucky Texan wrote:

What if you have bacon fingers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
1 Lucky Texan wrote:

Have you tried picking anything up with bacon? Even worse!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain N wrote:
I know they're not exactly the same, but watching videos on Sagrada and Azul, they strike me as having a lot of similarity. I like the idea and the look of these games, but can't decide which is preferable, since I don't think I'd want both.

For those who have played both, how would you compare them? Thanks.

No, you're right, they are comparable: They both consist of rafting and placing them on your own personal player board where placement is a puzzle to figure out for maximum points.

I own both, here are some of my thoughts:

1) Sagrada has a smaller 'pool' of drafting possibilities.
2) Azul is scored during the game, so you can see how players are doing at all times, Sagrada is all scored at the end.
3) Sagrada has some other small, ancillary aspects like those cards that mitigate your dice, there's a tiny aspect of resource management. Azul is a straight drafting puzzle.
4) Both feature negative points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk K

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like them both and I think there's room for both in a collection, but comparing the two, I would say that Azul is more interactive, and what you do has a greater impact on the other players, for better or worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
to the possible credit of Sagrada, some folks like the 'tactile' aspect of rolling and handling dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reddish22
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NoDicePlease wrote:
Compared to Sagrada which is, my board wants me to do this while your board wants you to do something else.

If you are playing with good players, the drafting is much more interesting in Sagrada than you make it sound. I don't think you can go wrong with either game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Drubbel
Belgium
Aartselaar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I believe they can co-exist in a collection, but I do prefer Azul. As stated above: your choices matter for yourselve and others. Later in the game it's as important what you take as to what you don't ... if that makes any sense whistle

On a sidenote: I never purchased Sagrada because I own Blueprints and after playing them both, I still like Blueprints more. So maybe worth checking out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Fibula
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Have you watched full games? It could help you decide which one is best for your group!

Sagrada :

Azul :
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, Azul. Hands down.

Sagrada trips my colourblindness to the point where it is unplayable. Azul does not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Jones
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LeMammouth wrote:
Have you watched full games? It could help you decide which one is best for your group!

Sagrada :

Azul :

I have watched those (I really enjoy the series). I think I'm leaning toward Azul. Thanks for the replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
1 Lucky Texan wrote:

I wouldn't have hands if I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cabal Paxiarch
msg tools
Azul is more elegant and streamlined, which are just fancy words for simpler. But simpler in rules, the same way Chess is. In actuality it's a very strategic game. Sagrada is no less demanding in strategy, but it's a gamer's game. More rules, more complexity, more stuff. I decided to buy Azul so that I can play it in more casual groups. I've got plenty of demanding games for my gamer group. But that's a choice based on practicality. Personal taste is a whole other issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy both. I own Azul but I also intend to buy Sagrada when I can find it in stock at a decent price.

Azul is a lighter game, with faster turns and simpler decisions. Both have wonderful components.

Bottom line, I prefer Azul. The simplicity means it's easier to get to the table. Sagrada offers a really satisfying challenge though, that is pleasingly brain-burny. However the additional downtime and lack of ongoing scoring clarity means I mark it down a couple of points compared to Azul.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gentry
United States
Siloam Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mb
Just get both like me... you know you want to... there is no way to find out which one you will like more unless you buy both... other people can tell you what they think, but what do you think?.. come on... try both... you'll thank me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Useful thread. I had been looking forward to trying Sagrada, but I played Azul and was unimpressed - at least with only 2 players, the game is too solvable. So knowing they feel similar, and it seems most prefer Azul, means I can push Sagrada down the “want to play” list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One is Starbursts. One is Jolly Ranchers. Select the one you find most delicious.

I was only just able to get my hands on Azul and am waiting on it to ship, but I have played Sagrada multiple times. It's an attractive game that I don't mind playing. I strongly prefer it at 2 players. At 4 players, I find it can take too long until your turn comes around, and it's difficult to track what multiple other players are doing and what dice they might need to draft because of the small dice size. So, it feels a lot more like color puzzle solitaire at the higher player count. Perhaps if we played our 4 player games at a smaller table or didn't use a dice tray, I'd feel differently. However, I feel like not being able to easily see other players boards, dice, and drafts really make a difference in the game.

I don't know that I love it enough to own it, although I'd probably pick it up if on deep enough sale because it's tactile and pretty and a solid game. I wouldn't have an issue owning both Sagrada and Azul. However, I bought Azul because it seems to be a lot more interactive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb K
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both and will play both. I always more excited to play Azul.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll Player + Azul IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd definitely say Sagrada for two main reasons:

1. Azul is solveable. It's simply too easy to look ahead and accurately guess what moves players will make. It simply becomes a game of peeking and backwards engineering. In fact, in Azul, it's possible to guess what players will do not only this current round, but the next round as well. Sagrada does not have this problem as the random dice draws, as well as the guarantee the fact not all dice are used, makes it very hard to predict future turns.

2. Sagrada gives you control over your outcome. For the majority of the game, you almost always have a choice of what to do. And while you may get screwed over here or there, it's possible to play around unfortunate situations. Azul on the other hand has this mechanic where you're forced to take things. Typically, this means that one player can end up getting screwed big time with negative points. However, the way the game is set up, there's no possible way for a player to avoid taking the penalty. Essentially, you get punished for your turn order, at no particular fault to yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Leamons
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fear The Fin
mbmbmbmbmb
Azul, and not by a little bit. Sagrada is a good game. Azul is destined to be a classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's fair to say that Azul feels more like ab-strat with 2p. That being said, playing the game is no triviality, and solvability is only an indictment if you've solved the game and no longer find it a challenge. And on that note, if you believe taking a load of unplayable tiles was unavoidable given your turn order, chances are you played poorly and the game is not as easy to grok as you might expect. At 3p and 4p, it's excellent and the dynamism of the decision tree ensures that that no one can play 5 moves ahead.

Sagrada feels like more of a gamer's game on paper--variable scoring, frequently refreshed drafting pool, special abilities to break the rules, etc. It plays at a slightly more shallow level than Azul because one cannot calculate past the current round.

All in all, I think Sagrada is a very good game. I think Azul is a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the ability to plan ahead in Azul. I've played it three times and won all three. Granted, I played Sagrada once and won it as well. In Azul, you need to know when to take the lesser penalty so you avoid the bigger ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.