Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Norris
United States
Blacksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Insert witty and self aware quote here
badge
Show how culturally relevant I am by writing a well written joke or meme reference
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if there were any negative consequences of increasing the point limit to 450 or 500? We are having trouble deciding how to trim our fleets down to 400 points. I was wondering if this breaks the game in a way, or if it really doesn’t matter at all.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Alextnorris wrote:
I was wondering if there were any negative consequences of increasing the point limit to 450 or 500? We are having trouble deciding how to trim our fleets down to 400 points. I was wondering if this breaks the game in a way, or if it really doesn’t matter at all.

Thanks!

For casual play, it doesn't matter. As long as both sides have the same amount of points available, you can scale up as much as you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Demers
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”-Thorin Oakenshield
badge
"Joooe Cool, hanging 'round the water fountain..."
mbmbmbmbmb
Alextnorris wrote:

Thanks!

I"ve tried that, and found that the smaller ships and squadrons die very fast, leaving stuff like the home one and isd's to slug it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalmar Wingfeather wrote:
Alextnorris wrote:

Thanks!

I"ve tried that, and found that the smaller ships and squadrons die very fast, leaving stuff like the home one and isd's to slug it out.

Wait, no "Focus all firepower on that Super Star Destroyer!" ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RicharDISNEY
United States
Rescue
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game will get longer!
Also see above about the squadrons... He makes a GREAT point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Corellian Campaign starts at 400 point fleet builds and progresses to 500 points. Obviously, having more fire platforms reduces the effect of defense tokens while some admirals gain in efficiency by affecting more hulls. These factors should impact your selection of mission objectives as well as deployment. That game will be somewhat longer due to more activations though this should change as things "blow up". On the plus side, it should be harder for ships to hide by kiting at the margins.

My experience of games at 500 points wasn't too dissimilar from games at 400.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Demers
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”-Thorin Oakenshield
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:
Kalmar Wingfeather wrote:
Alextnorris wrote:

Thanks!

Wait, no "Focus all firepower on that Super Star Destroyer!" ?

It just didn't happen with the guy I was playing with. We both did a good job of maneuvering out of range and stuff I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken K
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just completed two 600 point games. We found that in both cases, it took about 2 hours (normal 400 point games for us run between 90 minutes and 2 hours).

The biggest difference is that some of your commanders will have a larger impact given the number of ships. Also, more damage is possible in a single turn, as an example an ISD was taken down in a single round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shane newman
msg tools
I have played several 1500pt games, and enjoyed them. There is really no change, just more ships and squadrons to move around. And we actually set up a scenario, without bidding, or objectives. A planetary siege/ line breaker scenario is awesome for this level of points. I have tried a 2000 point game as well. Started out as a simple raid on a supply line, but ended up with both sides pulling in re-enforcements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Demers
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stuh42asl wrote:
I have played several 1500pt games, and enjoyed them. There is really no change, just more ships and squadrons to move around. And we actually set up a scenario, without bidding, or objectives. A planetary siege/ line breaker scenario is awesome for this level of points. I have tried a 2000 point game as well. Started out as a simple raid on a supply line, but ended up with both sides pulling in re-enforcements.

Wait, 2000 points? Daaang man that's insane!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished an "All Out Battle" to conclude a campaign with 6 players and roughly 1500 points per side. Took about 11 hours but didn't feel especially different from playing one of the standard games (except both sides had hyperspace entries during the fight). Of course, each team had 3 different commanders whose abilities only apply to the individual player. Some admirals would be much more powerful with a large fleet (like Thrawn/Akbar) (as opposed to the now nerfed Rieken).

As it was, we had 5 ISD's against 2 Mc80 Liberty's and 2 Mc80 Home Ones plus lots of support ships and squadrons. Rebels won thanks to a very tanky Home One build that survived attacks from a Demolisher and 3 different ISD's.

Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.