Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like one of my weaknesses in this game is that I always acquire whatever card I can afford early in the game. If I deal out 4 recruit power, I'll grab a hero that costs 4. If it's only 2 or 3, I'll pick up one that costs that.

I have a hard time turning down acquiring any card that I have enough to acquire -- the theory being that my deck is better with that card than just Shield agents.

The only real decision I make is when there is a choice between a card that is strong for recruit versus strong for attack, I'll make a situational call which to prioritize at that time in the game.

What are some of the principles you apply in the early game recruiting, rather than just letting it happen and buying shiny cards (like I do)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, in general...

* Usually a good idea to aim for color combos.
* Card trimming early is always an excellent idea.
* Card draw + effect is always good to grab.
* Be wary of low cost cards; some are good, but others simply don't seem well designed and can actually make your deck worse.

Some things depend on whether you are playing a competitive or a cooperative game.

If playing cooperatively, its probably almost always better to add a card; if all the cards out are "not so hot", SOMEONE needs to clear them to get at better cards.

If playing competitively, it may be better to pass on weak cards and hope someone else clears them.

SHIELD Officers tend to be pretty bad unless the heroes you've got are really short on money and high on cost.

Sidekicks on the other hand can be quite worth picking up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on what you're playing.

If you're playing solo, generally you have more control over what kind of cards you are able to recruit since nobody is vying for the more desirable cards, and you have the option of putting garbage cards on the bottom of your deck.

If you're playing with multiple players, you may just find yourself recruiting what you can at first, and letting that inform your strategy going forward.

I'll usually have a strategy in mind at the start of the game based upon what Heroes are in the deck, but often have to modify it as the game goes on, or completely abandon it at other times.

When playing solo I'll usually start by purchasing some recruit based cards, or look for cards that can start to KO things, switching over to attack after a couple of rounds. However, if there is an aggressive scheme, I might start by purchasing some attack cards off the bat.

When playing with multiple players, which is how I play most of the time, I'll start by recruiting what ever is good and build a strategy off of that. I also tend to look for a lot of draw power because the more options you have in your hand, the easier it is to activate effects. After purchasing a couple of cards, it becomes easier to develop a strategy sometimes.

Storm Knight made a lot of great general recommendations. Especially about the low cost cards. The 2 cost cards that always draw a card are almost always good to purchase, but other ones can dead end your combos without providing much benefit. Nothing wrong with picking up some cheap cards, just be careful about deck bloat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, agree with above.

For solo, not an aggressive scheme:
-first 5 rounds or so: pick up Recruit/KO/Card Draw
-next few rounds: pick up Attack cards
-stop recruiting unless they help your combos

Knowing when to time that last stage is the hard part, but once you have a few powerful cards in your deck, buying lots more weaker cards will mean you get to those powerful ones less often (unless they guarantee card draw, in which case Recruit away!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo play: I feel like I don't have as much choice, because there's no other source of hero turnover. When I play four player, I know that three people will have gone before it comes back to me, and there might be something good. But in solo, I know a low value card is going to sit there until I take it.

Do you guys ever take no card, even though you could afford a 4-cost or a 3 cost? Just scoop up your recruit cards and go to the next turn? Because I suppose I'd be hoping to get higher recruit next time and get one of the better cards -- but in solo play, that's just conceding those cards I don't want right now are just going to sit there the rest of the game.

It's tough -- I feel like I'm buying everything I can afford in solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race Bannon wrote:
But in solo, I know a low value card is going to sit there until I take it.

You can cycle cards you don’t want to the bottom of the Hero deck when a Twist occurs, which is pretty often in solo.

Quote:
Do you guys ever take no card, even though you could afford a 4-cost or a 3 cost? Just scoop up your recruit cards and go to the next turn?

Sometimes, if my deck is already strong and the cards available will slow it down. Remember while each new card you buy decreases your chance of drawing a SHIELD card, it also decreases your chance of drawing that powerful rare you already bought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
Race Bannon wrote:
But in solo, I know a low value card is going to sit there until I take it.

You can cycle cards you don’t want to the bottom of the Hero deck when a Twist occurs, which is pretty often in solo.[/quote]

I forget that a lot.

Quote:
Do you guys ever take no card, even though you could afford a 4-cost or a 3 cost? Just scoop up your recruit cards and go to the next turn?

[quote]Sometimes, if my deck is already strong and the cards available will slow it down. Remember while each new card you buy decreases your chance of drawing a SHIELD card, it also decreases your chance of drawing that powerful rare you already bought.

That's one reason the early game is when I feel most not-in-control. I buy everything I can, only choosing between different things that I can afford (never choosing not to buy). Later in the game, I have enough recruit power that I'm declining bad cards.

Makes sense, though. Thanks for all the replies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race Bannon wrote:
Do you guys ever take no card, even though you could afford a 4-cost or a 3 cost?

I may, especially in the late game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wickstrom
msg tools
mb
Sometimes if the hero deck doesnt look good at the moment I will take a sidekick instead even if that will leave me with some extra recruit but not enough to acquire a hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever since I first played Dominion and Thunderstone, I’ve had a rule of thumb in my deckbuilding obsession - If I’m simply buying the biggest card I can afford every turn, I’m playing badly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Deutsch
msg tools
mb
Thanks for this excellent discussion!

I think deck building is the key skill to mitigating the luck of the game and staying on top of the mastermind and the scheme. Mostly what has been said, I do as well. When putting together the hero deck, I plan out like 2 to 5 deck builds that I could do, depending on the HQ, the badguys, and what others do (if multiplaying). I try to then stick to it, even skipping recruit (I always buy sidekicks and new recruits when I can). Sometimes, though, when you have that rare turn of having 5 recruit, you gotta buy that only-ok-5-cost card in order to prevent HQ lock.

Maybe it is my experience with ccg's, but I always envision how my deck looks and how it might work to guide my recruiting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.