Fallout» Forums » Rules

Subject: Super Mutant becoming a Synth - possible? [SPOILERS] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vaidas Žukas
Lithuania
flag msg tools
Hello all,

Since I can't find any answers on this, here goes. In a solo play I did a few days ago I started as the Super Mutant (thus with the appropriate trait), and at one point got Encounter 140, which has 2 options, both of which have the result "gain the Synth trait".

Now the Super Mutant and Synths traits are on opposite sides of the same trait token, and both have the Lock icon. As per the rules, the token cannot then be flipped over.

However, the Foundational Rules at the beginning of the RR say that "If the rules text of a card contradicts information from the Rules Reference, the card's rules text takes precedence."
So then there are 2 options from my point of view:

1) The card overrules the RR, and I gain the Synth trait but lose the Super Mutant one. This seems a bit weird to me gameworld-wise - can Super Mutants even be Synths? If so, why can't I have both traits? My character would still be a Super Mutant to outsiders.

2) The text on the card is not "rules text" per say, meaning I cannot flip my Super Mutant trait and become a Synth, which would just Trash the Encounter card. This would also be weird, since in the story text on 140 the Synth courser identifies the survivor as Synth "41b" - they can't be mistaken, can they?

For me both outcomes seem a little out of place, would be great to hear what others think about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Thayer
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with option 2. Just like if an encounter said to become Well Rested if you were already Addicted (lock), you would ignore it.

It's still somewhat ambiguous, especially if there are subsequent encounters that rely on someone having the synth trait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Den Ell

Nebraska
msg tools
mb
Just my two cents here, but the rules are the rules and if the rules say "the Card" over-rules the text, then that's what has to happen.

Also along with this I noticed card 130 which seems to support the idea that this "Eccentric Inventor" could very well be doing just what that card has suggested. The following is an excerpt from the card:

130 GOOD NEWS, EVERYONE!

Everyone is talking about an eccentric inventor working at
Something outside of town. He has a few different projects
And is looking for whatever help he can get.
--
1> He claims his research into mutation could
Help heal injuries.
Kill a Super Mutant Overlord
--
2> His ambitions to control a robot workforce
Using wireless signals

So I'd say definitely go with the rules where the card over-rules the instructions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaidas Žukas
Lithuania
flag msg tools
Den, sorry, but after reading your post about card 130 five times I still fail to get the point you are making.
Are you implying that the Inventor is trying to make a robot workforce using super mutants? I fail to see how those are connected, since the second option requires you to kill a Sentry Bot, not Super Mutant, if I remember it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Day
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VaiderLT wrote:
Now the Super Mutant and Synths traits are on opposite sides of the same trait token, and both have the Lock icon. As per the rules, the token cannot then be flipped over.

On pg 14 it seems clear to me.

"If a survivor would gain a trait on the opposite side, he or she does not gain that trait."

So the card isn't contradicting the rules. The rules describe what to do in this case exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
VaiderLT wrote:
This would also be weird, since in the story text on 140 the Synth courser identifies the survivor as Synth "41b" - they can't be mistaken, can they?

The story leaves out the part 5 minutes before where the Courser sees you walk into the market and thinks to himself, "A Super Mutant? In a settlement? I think I'm going to go mess with his head. Tee hee hee."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.