Subject: Donations question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Jacobs
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
The donations system seems broken. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, it's very, very difficult to get much money to outfit a new expedition.

Most donation cards are in the $50-100 range, and you don't really draw enough to get much of a nest egg.

The way I understand the rules is that I draw a card. I may then publish discoveries and draw an additional card for each 4 VP I draw. So, 3-4 cards is not abnormal. Those 3-4 are unlikely to have a value high enough to pay the $500 return to Africa, so your best probable scenario is to get $250-300 and a free ticket.

It seems it's basically impossible to fund a second expedition.

Am I misunderstanding this mechanic? Is this really the way it works? If I've got the rule right, does anyone have a house rule that makes it not incredibly stupid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can typically collect 9 or 10 donations prior to outfitting. Make sure one is a free ticket, and the rest are cash to outfit with. We typically get a player or two to the point of a second expedition in a session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Vandertol
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you, now remain in my love. You did not choose me, but I chose you, and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit, fruit that will last. -- Jesus Christ
mbmbmbmbmb
The average donation is $169.88, and a roughly 4/5 chance of getting a donation card instead of a free ticket.

You can carry 6 cards over from round to round (you can keep 5, but immediately draw one on the next round in Europe)

So, on average, you'll have $850 and a free ticket somewhere with 6 cards. In addition, you're discarding the lowest card every round and pulling one new one. The maximum donation is $500, and there are 5 of those, so the best possible draw is 5*500+400 = $2900. The worst possible is 5*$0.

If you die or publish a low amount of VP, it might take you a couple of rounds to get up to the 6 cards you can carry over, and then it might take you a couple of rounds of discarding low cards and hopefully drawing better ones. Theoretically, this could last a *long* time, but it shouldn't.

If you have lots of VP to publish, lets say 40VP, a decent strategy would be to publish 20VP worth and draw 5 cards. Carry those cards over to the next round, draw another card, and then publish 20 more VP to get 5 more cards. Now you have 11 cards on average-ish worth $1500 and 2 free tickets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option would be to delay publishing until you have first filled your hand (or even more turns in an effort to maximize the value of your hand); but that's at least five turns not exploring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.