Subject: Placing Monsters and separated Heroes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
a n
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can someone help me, please?

If I have to place monsters (as listed on event card) and 3 of 4 heroes are still in the corridor behind the room (because they decided to don't move). How can I place the monsters? following "one vs one" rule? or all monsters inside the room...and farewell to the warrior who explored and came in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
If the monsters are from a 1 in the Power Phase, then I believe you randomly choose a Warrior, and all Warriors in that room are viable for targets placement (this is from memory). This means if the chosen warrior is alone, he is the only one that gets targeted and the extra monsters line up around him to be next to attack.

If the monsters are from an event card tied to the room - you shouldn't have drawn the card yet. You don't draw until all Warriors have entered the room.

Had a look in basic rules, page 14 covers "BUT THE WARRIORS AREN'T ALL IN THE SAME PLACE..." - that would cover unexpected events where they are split, as I detailed in first paragraph.

Hmmm. I can't find a reference for why I believed the second paragraph to be true (we used to not play that way at all though, so it may stem from a later misinterpretation of a section I can't find). If it's a misinterpretation, it might be from this text:

Quote:

If the Warriors move into a new room during the Warriors' Phase, then you must begin the Monsters' Phase by drawing a card from the Event deck to see what is inside. If the card reveals Monsters, they are always placed inside the room, even if the Warriors are split up between several board sections.
It is only necessary to draw a card when a room is entered for the first time, not on any subsequent occasion. Note also that a card is only taken when the Warriors enter a dungeon room, not when they enter a passageway, stair or other corridor section. Objective rooms have special rules as described below.

It might also be that in practice we just got so used to making sure we could fully enter the room before we did.

In practice, I recommend making sure they all can get in the new room before anyone decides to go in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a n
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
could be a (potentially) a little rules-crash? I mean: ok, strong warrior, go inside and tank them all...we all (ranged) are going to wait here and target each of them from distance....could be possible? or maybe the lone warrior get killed on second round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
oberon76h wrote:
could be a (potentially) a little rules-crash? I mean: ok, strong warrior, go inside and tank them all...we all (ranged) are going to wait here and target each of them from distance....could be possible? or maybe the lone warrior get killed on second round?

It's a gamble. Much more likely the monsters will spawn in the corridor if 3 Warriors are there. You draw randomly, that's the room they attack in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Littlemonk
United States
The Dungeon
Warhammer Quest
flag msg tools
Young Forest Warrior
badge
Samurai trained to die with honor. Ninja trained to kill others. Shao-Lin trained to live forever!
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting rule that i never really thought too much about before.

It would appear that all Monsters are placed in the Dungeon Room when the Warriors enter, even ranged Monsters (we used to place them on adjoining Board Sections, as far away from the Warriors as possible).

Only Unexpected Events would seem to follow the rules of placing Monsters as far away from Warriors as possible (even on other Board Sections). And drawing a Warrior counter if Warriors are on different Board Sections would only occur on Unexpected Events as well. (Perhaps why the example on this rule specifically referred to an Unexpected Event happening.)

Knowing that the first wave of Monsters can only appear in the Dungeon Room changes things a bit strategically. One might send in the strong Warriors, leaving the ranged and spell-casting Warriors in the previous Board Section.

Of course, if it's an 'E' Event Card that gets drawn in the Dungeon Room which then instructs the Warriors to draw another Event Card and it ends up as Monsters, that can backfire on the initial strategy since the Monsters might now appear on either Board Section.

It's good to have fresh eyes and perspectives from new and old players.

Thanks for this post!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the_bummer wrote:
Interesting rule that i never really thought too much about before.

It would appear that all Monsters are placed in the Dungeon Room when the Warriors enter, even ranged Monsters (we used to place them on adjoining Board Sections, as far away from the Warriors as possible).

Only Unexpected Events would seem to follow the rules of placing Monsters as far away from Warriors as possible (even on other Board Sections). And drawing a Warrior counter if Warriors are on different Board Sections would only occur on Unexpected Events as well. (Perhaps why the example on this rule specifically referred to an Unexpected Event happening.)

Knowing that the first wave of Monsters can only appear in the Dungeon Room changes things a bit strategically. One might send in the strong Warriors, leaving the ranged and spell-casting Warriors in the previous Board Section.

Of course, if it's an 'E' Event Card that gets drawn in the Dungeon Room which then instructs the Warriors to draw another Event Card and it ends up as Monsters, that can backfire on the initial strategy since the Monsters might now appear on either Board Section.

It's good to have fresh eyes and perspectives from new and old players.

Thanks for this post!

Even quoting it I missed what you just picked up. Yeah, learning this game is such a crazy combination of piecing together a rule here, a rule there, it may be impossible to play correctly. It's a good thing it's co-op.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a n
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That's exactly my thought. I presume the problem take its origin from a play experience without gm. I'm thinking to Descent jtd 1st ed. where the gamemaster can choice where to play/when-where move monsters (with few rules as guideline).

The question is if/how many rounds one/two warriors who is tanking the door, could resist without get killed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a n
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
i'm thinking to an houserule which could fix the problem: after revealing a new room with an encounter card; warriors get teleported inside the room in a prefixed positions (maybe the first row?). The room become a sort of warfield (like the videogame might&magic...) Warriors can only dig their way to the exit, through the monsters.......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.